Author Topic: Grave Sharing?  (Read 11092 times)

Offline Daisy Loo

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • 4 generations of Prestidge, 1835-1985
    • View Profile
Grave Sharing?
« on: Monday 23 February 09 21:29 GMT (UK) »
Hi

Someone (Dimps...thanQ) has recently found a grave of one of my ancestors, and happily he is buried there with his wife.  He died in 1878, she died in 1893.  But also buried in the same grave was a person of a totally different name, in 1864.

Could my ancestors have come to some agreement to be buried in this grave?  What other reason would they have fo being buried in a grave of a person that was unrelated to them?

Thanks,

Daisy Loo
All UK census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

BARNETT- Buckinghamshire, Bedfordshire, Dorset HILSDEN/HILLSDEN/HILLSDON- Buckinghamshire, Berkshire, Canada PRESTIDGE/PRESTAGE- Warwickshire, Northamptonshire, Islington PINNIGER/PINEGAR/PINNEGAR - Wiltshire       Brambleby - Kent, Middlesex     
LEACH- Norfolk   BUTTERWORTH - Lancashire   OTTON - Somerset  LAWRENCE - Berkshire

Offline stanmapstone

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Grave Sharing?
« Reply #1 on: Monday 23 February 09 21:52 GMT (UK) »
There are Purchased Graves where the applicant purchases the Exclusive Right of Burial in this grave, effectively forming a private grave and giving the family of the deceased control of any future burials in that grave. The owner of the Right must give written permission before any burial can take place in a purchased grave. The Exclusive Right has a fixed term - usually 100 years after which time control of the grave is returned to the relevant authority.
Un-purchased Graves are also known as 'Common' or 'Public' graves. The relevant authority retains control of the burials in these graves. Burial Law used to require a 14 year interval between successive burials in one of these graves, (unless the deceased were from the same family), but this law has since been repealed.
1864-1878 = 14years
Stan
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Daisy Loo

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Monday 23 February 09 22:04 GMT (UK) »
Stan, thanks, makes more sense.  Cheers :)

BARNETT- Buckinghamshire, Bedfordshire, Dorset HILSDEN/HILLSDEN/HILLSDON- Buckinghamshire, Berkshire, Canada PRESTIDGE/PRESTAGE- Warwickshire, Northamptonshire, Islington PINNIGER/PINEGAR/PINNEGAR - Wiltshire       Brambleby - Kent, Middlesex     
LEACH- Norfolk   BUTTERWORTH - Lancashire   OTTON - Somerset  LAWRENCE - Berkshire

Offline millymcb

• Global Moderator
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Monday 23 February 09 22:12 GMT (UK) »
I have found quite a few of mine with different names (mostly in philips Park & Southern in Manchester).   Some of them are large common graves so have lots of different names but some of them have 3 or 4 different names and when I searched further I found lots of relatives such as married daughters and their husbands and their parents or siblings.  Sometimes a wife's father, or even one with maternal grandparents and a grandchild (but not the parents). And once when a mother had remarried.  It is very interesting unravelling it all and can be quite illuminating.

Milly
 ;D
McBride (Monaghan, Manchester), Derbyshire (Bollington,Cheshire), Knight (Newcastle,Staffs), Smith (Chorley, Lancs & Ireland), Tipladay (Manchester & Yorkshire) ,Steadman (Madeley,Shropshire), Steele (Manchester,Glasgow), Parkinson (Wigan, Lancashire), Lovatt, Cornes & Turner (Staffs) Stott (Oldham, Lancs). All ended up Ardwick, Manchester
Census info is Crown Copyright http://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Daisy Loo

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Monday 23 February 09 22:17 GMT (UK) »
<groan> not another mystery to unravel!  This family have driven me demented!  Milly, it's the same family that I have on the Armed Forces Board!

But yes, it is strange how things do link up :)

Offline Dimps

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • GET STUCK IN...
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Monday 23 February 09 22:20 GMT (UK) »
As it is possibly a public grave, it is unlikely to have a marker - but I'll tootle along at the weekend to have a look.  The other problem is that many of the gravestones in this particular cemetery have disintigrated and a great many have been moved and have been propped against the walls.

Dimps
Linberry, Chatfield, Faulkner, West in West Sussex<br />Towell, in Shoreditch and Exeter<br />Spurling from Norfolk<br />Bateson from Norfolk<br />Snell, Lorkin, Norman from Suffolk<br />O'Boyle/Boyle from Donegal<br />Murray, McCann, Gunn from Sutherland<br />Davis, Bute from Woolwich<br /><br />Census information contained in this post is Crown copyright:  www.NationalArchives.gov.uk

Offline Daisy Loo

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Monday 23 February 09 22:47 GMT (UK) »
oh no!  Scrimnet suggested that couldbe the case...ah Dimps you're a star...you're getting gold stars on the McMinn thread! :)

Offline Gaille

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Tuesday 24 February 09 00:48 GMT (UK) »
I have found quite a few of mine with different names (mostly in philips Park & Southern in Manchester).   Some of them are large common graves so have lots of different names but some of them have 3 or 4 different names and when I searched further I found lots of relatives such as married daughters and their husbands and their parents or siblings.  Sometimes a wife's father, or even one with maternal grandparents and a grandchild (but not the parents). And once when a mother had remarried.  It is very interesting unravelling it all and can be quite illuminating.

Milly
 ;D

They may not actually BE in the same grave.
When I fist looked my grandads burial info up at Blackley on the Manchester online I nearly had a fit cos it shows My Grandads name, That my Nanas ashes were scattered on the grave (its officialy recorded!)
and then I got a shock .............. there were two more names listed with the same grave nimber.

I KNOW with absolute certainty that the other people are not buried in this grave - because I was there when My Nana purchased the grave in 1977 and I have been to the grave with her at least 4 times a year since then so I Would KNOW if the grave had been opened for another burial.

When I checked I was told its because there are two parts to the Cemetery (I think its conformist & non Conformist)  - and the numbers may be used in both parts.
I had the same thing happen at Gorton - My relative was in Grave '8' but no plot reference - and each letter plot had a grave number "8" ......................... From "A" onwards.....

It might be worth contacting the Cemetery and asking if its the same there.

Gaille
Manchester – Bate(s) / Bebbington / Coppock or Coppart / Evans / Mitchell / Prince / Smith

Cheshire Latchford – Bibby / Savage / Smith.
Cheshire Macclesfield,  Bollington & Rainow – Childs / Flint / Mc'rea
Cheshire Crewe – Bate(s) / Bebbington
Shropshire Wellington, Wobwell – Smith
Walsall Midds – Smith
Norfolk - Childs / Hanwell / Smith

Also looking for:
Mc'Rea/McCrea – Ireland to Cheshire

And
any relatives of Margaret Bibby married to Thomas Smith all over country

Offline Dimps

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • GET STUCK IN...
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Tuesday 24 February 09 00:57 GMT (UK) »
Hi Milly,

The man from the Council was quite clear that they are all in the same grave.  Plus he has given a section letter and grave number.

I have come across this before when checking for a fellow rootschatter.  He was adamant that his grandmother could not be in the same grave as another woman but... the other woman did have a marker and the map of the cemetery was very, very detailed - there was no doubt at all.

I'll be able to find out more at the weekend, when I should have a chance to pop along to the cemetery.

Dimps
Linberry, Chatfield, Faulkner, West in West Sussex<br />Towell, in Shoreditch and Exeter<br />Spurling from Norfolk<br />Bateson from Norfolk<br />Snell, Lorkin, Norman from Suffolk<br />O'Boyle/Boyle from Donegal<br />Murray, McCann, Gunn from Sutherland<br />Davis, Bute from Woolwich<br /><br />Census information contained in this post is Crown copyright:  www.NationalArchives.gov.uk