Author Topic: William John DARMODY  (Read 8490 times)

Offline westskip

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: William John Darmody
« Reply #9 on: Tuesday 24 February 09 05:05 GMT (UK) »
Hi Jenn
Yes. William John Darmody's daughter Annie married James Michael Gillick in 1909 and they lived at Craddock on a property called "Wirreander". Their eldest daughter Nellie was my wife's mother.

John
Wilson - Brdaford,Yorkshire
Kelly - IOM
Moore - Devon
Darmody -Ireland
Gillick - Ireland
Mc Gillick - Ireland
Camm - Lincolnshire

Offline westskip

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Tuesday 24 February 09 05:10 GMT (UK) »
Thanks for the photo Jenn.

May not be the William John Darmody we seek as there apparently were othe Darmody's in the area but always interesting to keep these old photo's. Never know when they'll come in handy.

Thaks again

John & Helen
Kelly - IOM
Moore - Devon
Darmody -Ireland
Gillick - Ireland
Mc Gillick - Ireland
Camm - Lincolnshire

Offline tropicalj

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • six grandkids
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Tuesday 24 February 09 05:21 GMT (UK) »
http://www.catalog.slsa.sa.gov.au:1084/record=b1065181

ah well  here is Bridget Darmody  riding a Camel  at Parachilna

Jenn
When you search for ancestors, you find great friends!
I live in Townsville researching
TOWNSEND,PINNEGAR, STRANGE, PULLEN, GRIFFIN from Wiltshire,,
SHOEBRIDGE, VINALL, BRINDLE, Kent
BAYLEY, Dorset,Yorkshire,
HAIR, Durham,
CUMMINS, BROWNLESS from Yorkshire,
EDSALL,  Cornwall,
MORGAN, HENNESSY, BAKER,  Ireland.
VAN REYK Sri Lanka
All Census Look Ups Are Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.au

Offline frankwil5023

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Tuesday 14 April 09 01:47 BST (UK) »
The William Darmody (senior) who had the Prairie Hotel at Parachilna from 1883 til 1913 was the ex-manager of Moolooloo Station (he stated that in a newspaper advertisement when he took over the pub). He died in 1914. His niece, (Miss) Ellen Darmody, was the manager from 1909 to July 1912, and from June 1913 to September 1916.

In September 1916 the hotel was taken over by a different William Darmody - I *think* he was a nephew, but this needs more research. He wasn't William (senior)'s son. This younger William Darmody ran the pub until October 1933, and for a few more months in 1937. (Publican records from Hoad's book: Hotels and Publicans of South Australia)

I've never been able to satisfactorily sort out the Darmody family background - the spelling changes a lot (Darmody, Dermody, Dormody, even Dearmiday) - even among people of clearly the same family. A fair proportion of them seem to have South Australian origins around Macclesfield in the southern Mount Lofty Ranges. Interestingly, the Dearmiday one (marriage registration) becomes Dermody and Dormody on the later births registrations.

Re the photo mentioned in an earlier posting: I have always understood that is of William Darmody Senior, as the collection it is from in the State Library of SA is of Pioneers of the North; strictly, he should be shown as W Darmody, Moolooloo. The Nilpena bit comes from two possible sources - the south-western end of Moolooloo Station became part of the Hundred of Nilpena, and the Parachilna township is in the Hundred of Nilpena. That photo collection was not put together until around the 1890s, even though it was about the early days. Many of the captions on the photos in this collection are very inaccurate/misleading.

JM Gillick (and his father Patrick) held pastoral land in the Parachilna area as well as around Cradock (Wirreanda, and smaller pastoral leases to the east of Hawker).

Frank
local history research - Flinders Ranges, South Australia
Ireland: Fitzgerald (Ruan), Griffey; Mahoney (Killarney); O'Neil (Co Wicklow)
Co Antrim: McKinty
Wales: Williams (Pentyrch, Llantwit Fardre); Jones (Quakers Yard)

Offline sandery

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Re: William John DARMODY
« Reply #13 on: Thursday 25 February 10 08:42 GMT (UK) »
I have come in a bit late with this. Had some spare time and did a bit of googling. I am descended from Michael Darmody, born Tipperary 1810. His son John, born Tipperary 1833, died May 1914, Prospect, SA. Married Mary Anne O'Connor, Jan 7, 1866. Children: Bridget b Oct 13, 1866, Macclesfield; Susan b Dec 22, 1868, Green Hills, SA. Married Remington Charles Cripps Barnes, 1898. Died Sept 1913, Exchange Hotel, Farina; Ellen born Nov 1, 1876, Macclesfield. Married Remington Charles Cripps Barnes Feb 2, 1920. Susan's children to Remington: Nellie, Ethel, Remington (my father), Keith. Ellen's child to Remington, Joan. The Barnes (men and women) ran hotels all over the place. You are quite correct about the William(s) very hard to work out. I couldn't find a William from Michael. Besides the John I could only find a Thomas. John and Mary Anne had a William, born July 26, 1882, Beltana SA. John and May Anne's other children were: James, Thomas and Annie who married a Gillick.

Offline westskip

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Thursday 25 February 10 11:30 GMT (UK) »
Thanks Sandery

As I mentioned earlier Annie Gillick nee Darmody is my wife's grandmother and the additional information you have supplied will help us to unravel more of the Darmody's. Incidentally we have Bridget Darmody marrying a Mr Reiken and they had at least one daughter Gladys. Only other thing we have found out is that  the Reiken's lived in Semaphore .

We'll be visiting Parachilna just after Easter as part of one of our grey nomad's trips and we're looking forward to seeing the old Pub etc.

Many thanks

John & Helen
Kelly - IOM
Moore - Devon
Darmody -Ireland
Gillick - Ireland
Mc Gillick - Ireland
Camm - Lincolnshire

Offline sandery

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Thursday 25 February 10 12:56 GMT (UK) »
Thanks for your reply. I have John Darmody's death certificate as well as the marriage with Mary Anne O'Connor. Your wife will be pleased to know the witness at the Remington (Barnes) and Ellen (Darmody) marriage is Annie Gillick.
John Darmody's occupation is listed on both certificates as 'farmer'. His father's name looks like "Michl".
If you would like the certificates I will have a go at scanning and attaching them.
Have been away from 'family tree' work for about four years, so am a bit rusty with the information. I had a monumental computer crash a few weeks ago and so decided to see if I could 'find' some of the stuff I am now missing. Luckily I printed out quite a bit.
regards
Suzy

Offline sonic181

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Wednesday 01 July 15 13:58 BST (UK) »
Hi I see you are interested in the name Mc Gillick of Ireland.
MY GG Grand Father and GG Mother were James & Catherine Mc Gillick from County Cavan and there family came out together in 1850. There children were: Michael, James, Thomas, Catherine, Bernard, Anne.are they the ones you are interested in, also I am lead to believe we have a relationship to the Gillick's of Craddock.
My Cousin advised me of this but have not done research into the Gillick line as we are emersed in the Mc Gillick's from Terowie  family at present who are linked to the Morans, Steele's from Whyte Yarcowie and the saga continues.

Offline sonic181

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Wednesday 01 July 15 14:13 BST (UK) »
Also I came upon at The West Terrace Cemetery in Adelaide SA Deceased Search.
Annie Died 31-12-1894
Patrick       07-12-1940
James S     29-04-1930
Patrick       27-04-1894
Patrick       31-12-1896
There was another I found and photographed of a James Michael Gillick Death Date 8th march 1941 aged 65 years.
You maybe interested in these to try to match Birth and Date of Death.