Author Topic: stillborn twin 1923  (Read 1141 times)

Offline JJbeech

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
stillborn twin 1923
« on: Tuesday 24 February 09 19:04 GMT (UK) »
Hi folks,
new to this bug so sorry if this been asked and answered 1oo times.
My oh thinks (positive) his dad told him his twin brother was still born, Dad born 1923/24
would time still be recorded on birth cert, if other twin was stillborn?
I know stillbirths werent recorded til 1927, but would time still apply to multiple births even if one was still born?

BTW: just incase it makes a difference this is scotland 1923/24

Thanks
JJ

Offline Just Kia

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Re: stillborn twin 1923
« Reply #1 on: Wednesday 25 February 09 15:14 GMT (UK) »
All the Scotland births I have so far have the time on them regardless of whether a singleton or multiple birth. HTH =)
WIMBUSH - Everywhere :: MARLOW/JECOCK/JUSTICE - Northamptonshire/Warwickshire/Oxfordshire :: SCALES/BRIDGES/ENGLISH/SPINK/PETCH/GOOCH/COCKSEDGE - Suffolk :: GARRETT/GIBBS/FEARN - Warwickshire :: DEVOS - Scotland (Aberdeen)/France(Dunkerque) :: MURRAY - Ireland(Down)/Scotland(Lochs) :: TIGHE/TREACY - Cork

Stanley Charles SCALES b.1899 - Where are you?    ***   

Offline coombs

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Research the dead....forget the living.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Wednesday 25 February 09 15:29 GMT (UK) »
Hi

If his birth wasnt registered due to him being stillborn in 1923/1924, then a burial record of him may exist. As said stillbirths didnt have to be registered until 1927.

Ben
Researching:

LONDON, Coombs, Roberts, Auber, Helsdon, Fradine, Morin, Goodacre
DORSET Coombs, Munday
NORFOLK Helsdon, Riches, Harbord, Budery
KENT Roberts, Goodacre
SUSSEX Walder, Boniface, Dinnage, Standen, Lee, Botten, Wickham, Jupp
SUFFOLK Titshall, Frost, Fairweather, Mayhew, Archer, Eade, Scarfe
DURHAM Stewart, Musgrave, Wilson, Forster
SCOTLAND Stewart in Selkirk
USA Musgrave, Saix
ESSEX Cornwell, Stock, Quilter, Lawrence, Whale, Clift
OXON Edgington, Smith, Inkpen, Snell, Batten, Brain

Offline Just Kia

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Wednesday 25 February 09 16:18 GMT (UK) »
I don't know if the 1927 rule applies to Scotland as well, I know it does for England, but not sure about Scotland.
WIMBUSH - Everywhere :: MARLOW/JECOCK/JUSTICE - Northamptonshire/Warwickshire/Oxfordshire :: SCALES/BRIDGES/ENGLISH/SPINK/PETCH/GOOCH/COCKSEDGE - Suffolk :: GARRETT/GIBBS/FEARN - Warwickshire :: DEVOS - Scotland (Aberdeen)/France(Dunkerque) :: MURRAY - Ireland(Down)/Scotland(Lochs) :: TIGHE/TREACY - Cork

Offline LizzieW

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • I'm nearer to finding out who you are thanks DNA
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Wednesday 25 February 09 17:16 GMT (UK) »
but would time still apply to multiple births even if one was still born?

I'm interested in that question too as it relates to one of my aunts.  I was always told she had a twin sister that died at birth, but only my aunt's birth is registered, so I guess the other twin was stillborn.  As my dad was also a twin in the same family, it was not unusual for his mother to have twins. 

I suppose though,  if all birth certificates in Scotland have times on them, it doesn't help you. 

Offline LizzieW

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • I'm nearer to finding out who you are thanks DNA
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Wednesday 25 February 09 17:21 GMT (UK) »
Coombs - I doubt, in England at least, that there would have been a burial for a stillbirth in the early 1900/20s.  Even in the early 1970s when I worked as a midwife, many stillborn babies were just sent to the hospital incinerator.  It was only later on that parents were given the chance to grieve for and bury their babies. 

My mum had a stillborn baby (she was about 7-8 months pregnant at the time) in 1952 and it just disappeared.  She had it at home early one evening when my brother and I aged 9 and 11 at the time had just gone to bed.  All we knew was that the doctor came and the next morning, mum was no longer pregnant.

Offline Dancing Master

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Wednesday 25 February 09 20:01 GMT (UK) »
They also used to put the stillborn into a coffin with a recently deceased  person  or in a public grave.

My own sister was one of those, she was the twin to my brother.

Offline JJbeech

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Thursday 26 February 09 13:39 GMT (UK) »
Hi,
Thanks for all the info, I have just been told that my oh sister has found birth certs for his mum,dad, and both sets of grandparents birth certs!!!  ;D ;D

Also oh has remebered that the "twin" is buried in the same grave as his granny and granpa (although his sister says last time she seen it it was unreadable!)day trip to graveyard coming up!!!

Next post could be for some creative photo ideas to read the unreadable!!!! (Fingers crossed!!) ;D ;D

Also Justkia is correct I have three birth certs and they do all have the time on them (I previously only noticed the time on the twins I have (OH dad's granny).

Thanks again for the info

JJ

Offline Just Kia

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Thursday 26 February 09 21:33 GMT (UK) »
JJ when you go to the graveyard take a large sheet of paper and some chalk or a chunky crayon.
Gently brush any loose moss or debris off the grave stone.
Hold the sheet of paper over the gravestone and then lightly rub the side of the chalk or crayon over the sheet of paper - this should make things easier to read =)