Author Topic: Birth 1818-1819 Durham, need help  (Read 3497 times)

Offline karen_ant

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Birth 1818-1819 Durham, need help
« on: Tuesday 24 February 09 23:04 GMT (UK) »
Hi All,

I am trying to find a birth record prior to 1837.

I am looking for the birth of Eleanor Taylor which would have been between June 1818 to September 1819.

Eleanor married Robert Shipley and died in 1868 at the age of 49.

I need to find Eleanor's birth record to help me find her mothers maiden name. So I can use that maiden name to find her parents marriage and hopefully the next link back in my family tree.

I know her parents are Thomas Taylor and Elizabeth.

Most of her siblings were born and bred in St Giles (Gilesgate), Durham Parish St Nicholas. I have not found any of their births either as all prior to 1837.

Thomas and Elizabeth lived in St Giles in all census records and Elizabeth's death record also shows her in the same place. I have her death certificate (Eleanor was the witness) but it does not show her maiden name.

If anyone can help, or give me advice on where I can look it would be much appreciated.

Regards,
Karen
(Australia)
Taylor; Briggs; Thompson; Mitford; Bartle

Offline 2zpool

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Birth 1818-1819 Durham, need help
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday 24 February 09 23:23 GMT (UK) »
I cannot tell where they were baptised but they were NOT baptised in St. Nicholas, St. Oswald or St Margaret of Antioch.

Janis
Co. Durham:  Hall, Snowdon, Makepeace, Barnfather, Barrass, Gray/Grey, Wilson, Carr, Cole, Richardson, Greener, Lamb
Northumberland:  Grey/Gray, Richardson, Barnfather, Heron, Redpath
------------------------------------------------------------------
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Ecneps

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Rosalie Mathilda Jönsson 1916-1999
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Tuesday 24 February 09 23:26 GMT (UK) »
Could this be the couple and the baptism? Later census show Eleanor as being born Pensher (Penshaw) or Shiney Row

Marriage:St. Lawrence Church, Pittington
21 Jun 1840 Robert SHIPLEY (pitman), of Whitwell, son of Barnham SHIPLEY (pitman) married Eleanor TAYLOR, of Whitwell, daughter of Thomas TAYLOR (pitman)Penshaw

Baptism:  All Saints Church, Penshaw
17 May 1818 Eleanor TAYLOR, of Shiney Row, daughter of Thomas TAYLOR (pitman) & Elizabeth THURLAWAY

Barbara  :)
`There are two lasting bequests we can give our children -  One is roots - the other is wings`- Hodding Carter

Census and bmd information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk and www.scotlandspeople.gov.uk

Lincs & Yorks - SIVILLS PREDGEN    Norfolk - EBBS WHITEROD ZIPFELL       Sweden - JÖNSSON CRONBERG ANDERSSON      Yorks - SPENCE HIDE HIRD      Durham - DALKIN SELBY RENWICK

Offline Ecneps

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Tuesday 24 February 09 23:33 GMT (UK) »
Baptisms with these same parents :
Elizabeth 1815, Ann 1820 and  Margaret 1822    

You could probably find earlier family details in the Durham BTs on the free familysearchlabs site http://www.rootschat.com/links/05mf/

Barbara  :)
`There are two lasting bequests we can give our children -  One is roots - the other is wings`- Hodding Carter

Census and bmd information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk and www.scotlandspeople.gov.uk

Lincs & Yorks - SIVILLS PREDGEN    Norfolk - EBBS WHITEROD ZIPFELL       Sweden - JÖNSSON CRONBERG ANDERSSON      Yorks - SPENCE HIDE HIRD      Durham - DALKIN SELBY RENWICK

Offline karen_ant

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Tuesday 24 February 09 23:46 GMT (UK) »
Barbara,

I could just hug you right now!

Thank you so much! I really appreciate your help, I have been stuck on this for about 2 years.

I have other children of Isabella and Susan so I am not sure where they were baptised.

Thank you!

Karen

Offline Ecneps

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Tuesday 24 February 09 23:53 GMT (UK) »
Karen, how nice of you  :)

The Durham BTs aren't indexed, (except by place) and have to be trawled through, but well worth a look. Penshaw records are there. 

I found the 3 other baptisms on http://www.durhamrecordsonline.com
(pay-to-view full details)

Maybe Isabella and Susan were also baptised in Penshaw.  I see from the census that the younger children were born St. Giles, maybe if you post their names and dates, Janis may be able to find those for you

Kind regards,
Barbara  :)

Offline Ecneps

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Wednesday 25 February 09 00:00 GMT (UK) »
This may be Isabella, but mother's maiden name not given so not certain, right age though I think.

St. Michael & All Angels, Houghton-le-Spring
5 Oct 1828 Isabella Taylor, of Collier Row, parents Thomas Taylor & Elizabeth

couldn't find Susan though

Barbara

Offline karen_ant

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Wednesday 25 February 09 00:29 GMT (UK) »
Thanks Barbara,

That looks like about the right age for Isabella. I think Susan was abt 1831 off the top of my head. They were in the 1841 census and I assume married prior to 1851 census.

Do you know if parents names were recorded on the parish records in the late 1700's early 1800's.

I have a marriage between Thomas and Elizabeth in 1805 - her name was spelled Thirlwell. I have a few possible births for Thomas but can't be sure which one is accurate. The census has him as being born in Houghton-le-Spring, but the dates vary from 1787 and 1781. Elizabeth was born in 1787.

Thanks,
Karen

Offline Ecneps

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Wednesday 25 February 09 00:39 GMT (UK) »
Have a look at the BTs, some only give father's name at baptism, some of them give very detailed information, with parents' names, mothers' maiden names and their fathers' names, you could be lucky  :)