Author Topic: lacking info on Hanley-carrowmacbryan  (Read 9848 times)

Offline jakeabf

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
lacking info on Hanley-carrowmacbryan
« on: Saturday 28 February 09 02:24 GMT (UK) »
My older brother Dudley tried his hand at a family genealogy based on my grandfathers' generation.  Dudley called his web page Hanley's *1. I have to google -Hanley's in Sligo- to access it. I hope the webmaster can port it over here so that anybody related to folk from Hanleytown in Easky-Carrowmacbryan can trace their relatives.

My brother included a tithe document showing the allotments there. He had a problem being able to connect a birth + death date to our family members. He also did not include the names of children of Joe Hanley or Joe's grandchildren. Joe's oldest son, Michael John died last year, age 91, God Bless him. His wife Mary(Conaughton) is still with us and her daughter Marion.

Eva Flynn Cuffe of Dromore is a cousin, Tomas Tuffy of Cullens is a cousin. We have Healey, O'Loan, Finnerty, Tuffy, Boland connections as well.

Offline Felicia1226

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Re: lacking info on Hanley-carrowmacbryan
« Reply #1 on: Thursday 03 February 11 17:59 GMT (UK) »
Hello,
I have actually been trying to track my relatives as well and your brothers information has come up in all my searches but was unable to make any contact.
 My grandfather was from Easkey, his name was James O'Brien. His parents came over to the United States with him, when he was four his mother passed away and he was sent back to ireland to be raised by her family we believe. She was a Hanley. Her name was Ellen hanley

Below I have listed my research so far. I am wondering if there is a connection between our families or if in your research you came across any information on the Hanley's I am researching.

Based on my great grandmothers death certificate as well as the census report for Easkey from 1901. This is the information I am sure of. My grandfather was James O'Brien, my great grandfather was James O'Brien, My grandfathers mother Ellen O'Brien(madden name Hanley)was born in 1883 and died here in New York on August 15th 1915. her death certificate indicates her fathers name was Michael Hanley born appx 1851 and her mother was Bridget Hanley(maiden name was O'Brien as well)born appx 1853. Going back to the 1901 census report they where living at the time at house 20 in Carrowmaacbryan (West Easkey) she had two brothers Michael Hanley and Joeseph Hanley, she had three sisters Annie C, Hanna Kate and Bridget Hanley. So far this is all the information I have available
thank you for your help

Offline jakeabf

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Thursday 03 February 11 19:53 GMT (UK) »
Hi Felicia,

Thanx for the timely reply. When I was really young, I am 70 now, my grandad John was president of the Sligomen's Association in NYC. This august group was quite large. If you google this organization  you will see who the president's were + when.

Several of my dad's 1st or 2nd cousins were also president, way back when.  Sad to say, Felicia, bro Dud is with us  no more. He was 6 years older than me. He was 70 when he cashed in his chips.

I had hoped I could find the detail map he posted to his now defunct website showing all of Rathlee, Easkey, Carrowmacbryan, but have had no luck so far. The Google maps of the area are not as good as the one Dudley found.

Eva (*) is the only person I am aware of who has the kind of detailed info we both need to complete our searches. When I took my dad to the Church on the corner by the main road to Ballina, we saw the same names in the Church records for the hatched, matched + detached of that parish you mentioned.

My Dad's granpa was Michael born in the 1850's which is consistent with the Michael you found. Yes we have a Bridget married to that Michael.

I will have to see if my cousin Pauline (*), who now lives in Leopardstown, near Dublin, remembers the exact house number her mom was born in. I think Pauline's mom was Kathleen, the youngest sister to my grandpa John, his brother Joe, there is another brother who's name I can't recall.

Joe Hanley had 2 sons, Paul and Christy who both lived in NYC in the 50's-60s. Paul later went back to UK. Christy stayed in NYC. Joe's son Michael John stayed in the family house which has been in the Hanley name  for over 400 years.

Pauline has a sister (*), a researcher at the Dublin main library who did a very detailed search of the family tree going back beyond Brian Boru. A guy named (*) tried to fob off portions of (*)'s original research as his own. I will have to see where on my hard drive that link is. That (*) dude, inserted his family tree into (*)'s narrative in the 1700's when its obvious to me, after that point the lineage goes straight back to Carrowmacbryan and that eliminated any connection to this wanna be.

The next best thing for both of us is to send a dna sample to Brian Sykes at Oxford U. If you haven't read up on Brian Sykes, you need to. He wrote the book 7 Daughters of Eve, which made possible the dna info that is now available. If you or a close relative have red hair that enhances our search even more.

Red hair + red beards run thru our family line. Presently I am in Sweden and have no access to any of my remaining Irish-amareekin relatives. I have 2 brothers in the NYC area, but neither has shown any family roots interests. My son (*) in New Jersey is definitely interested. 

My grandpa ran a saloon in lower Manhattan prior to the Prohibition, if that may be of any use to you.  His wife's name was Catherine Connington, yet, her sisters upon arrival in Philadelphia, used the name Conaughton of their mother's side.

(*) Moderator's note: names of living people removed. Please exchange such recent family information by personal message (PM)- each of you will need to have at least 3 posts before you can use PM system.

Offline Felicia1226

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Thursday 03 February 11 22:08 GMT (UK) »
this is amazing, thank you for your response. I do want to say I am so sorry for the loss of your brother. He did start some wonderful research online

I wish I knew more about The O'Brien side but I found nothing. The only information I am getting direct links to is my great grandmother Ellen O'Brien maiden name Hanley which as I had mentioned was a child of Michael and Bridget Hanley. I filed for her death certificate and received it her parents are listed as Michael Hanley  and Bridget O'Brien Hanley of Ireland. Once I got that information I searched the census report for 1901 and found her entire family. We already know from my father that his family is from Easkey so tracing them down on the census report was pretty easy.

My grandfather kept diaries from both the time he lived in Ireland and from when he came to New York, it is written in pencil and difficult to ready but I am trying.

My father is taking the entire family to Ireland this April so I am trying to find out as much as I can before we go. I would love to meet third fourth fifth or sixth cousins, it would be pretty amazing.

My father had red hair which has since gotten much lighter and more blonde now. I have aurburn brown hair and my sister has light brown hair.  I will definitly look up this mans information, the whole DNA process is very interesting and would be happy to take part. I can give you my personal information so we can speak more if you would like.
Again thank you for getting back to me and it is great to speak with someone that may hold some information we need to complete both our family tree's

My father is taking

Offline jakeabf

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Friday 04 February 11 01:33 GMT (UK) »
Thanx Felicia,

As soon as we hit the 3 posts mark the pm route will be a big help to us both.

Offline Felicia1226

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Friday 04 February 11 15:39 GMT (UK) »
I think we hit three

Offline jakeabf

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Friday 04 February 11 22:49 GMT (UK) »
Hi Felicia.

I submitted around 10 pages of a whimsical test like review on all things Irish called... So you think you are Irish. Its sorta like Trivial Pursuit but it definitely gets ya up to speed with what the average Irishman in Ireland takes for granted is basic Irish info.

The folks who control this board allowed it to stay up, but when I got back a day later, its all gone. It took me quite a while to post it all. That so-called test, most likely was put together in the 1980's-90's 'cuz lots of stuff that happened since then is not there.

If ya google... so you think you're Irish and go thru the list google put up, ya may find that stuff. It will be worth yer while, just for the conversational triviality of it.

BTW, I can't figure out on this board where the pm  button is. I could send ya the same Irish stuff if ya can't track it down thru google.

Here in Helsingborg where I presently am, there is a pub in town that has a once a month Irish music session I have taken my son to for the past 5 years. I play the spoons + bones, he plays spoons, guitar, banjo.  In the house we have nearly 500 cd's of just irish music. I can send ya a dvd full of mp3 files with that Irish music. A dvd holds around 150 cd's of mp3.

Go to you tube and type in ...Vash playing the bones...Vash playing the spoons. You will see how easy it is to learn how to do it.

Offline jakeabf

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Saturday 05 February 11 00:13 GMT (UK) »
Hi Felicia.

Check out these links and get back to me so that we can fine tune yer search a bit better.

On my bro Dud's website he has a Hanleytown tithe list. The names of thos efoks show up on other Carrowmacbryan genealogy searches due to marriages 'tween all of these families. When I was there in 1963, my great uncle Joe said to me, yer related to everybody here.

He also pointed out as we drove to Inishcrone, his niece rented out rooms there. Joe said ya have plenty of a bit more distant relatives here and in Ballina, where his daughter Bridget married a guy by name of Tony Tuffy, and a sister of my dad married a 1st cousin to Tony Tuffy, so as ya can see the  crossovers from family name to family name get blurred very easily.

http://mysite.verizon.net/resqu9hr/id28.html

http://www.census.nationalarchives.ie/pages/1911/Sligo/Easky_West/Carrownacbryan/769034/
http://www.census.nationalarchives.ie/reels/nai003270651/

Message Board URL:

http://boards.ancestry.com/mbexec/msg/an/AYC.2ACE/3537.1.1

Message Board Post:

Hi Judy,

I have Taylor, Jordan, and Conway entries in my database from the Easky Parish area of Co. Sligo.

I keep my data in an Excel file. I could send your surnames of interest in an Excel file as an attachment to an e-mail.

Regards,

Joe Egan
San Diego, CA

Researching CARROLL/ EGAN/ HEGARTY/ LEONARD/ McCANN/ McGRATH/ McHALE/ MELVIN/ MULHERN/ RAFTER/ SWEENEY/ TUFFY/ WHITTAKER in general area of Ballina, Co. Mayo and Co. Sligo.

BTW, Felicia, this Egan guy mentions several family names like Tuffy, McHale, Sweeney, McCann, that are married into the extended Hanley clan and further extended by crossovers within these families.

Moderator's Note: another person's email address removed in accordance with Rootschat policy. Please read Posting Guidelines and Copyright section of Help pages

Offline Felicia1226

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Monday 07 February 11 20:10 GMT (UK) »
hey Jake
Thank you so much for all this wonderful information. I will message you my email address, I am putting it on here however it is possible it will me taken down, it is (*). I searched the 1901 census report and found my great grandmothers family, in 1901 she was 18, her brother Michael Hanley was 22, her brother Joseph Hanley was 16, her sister Bridget Hanley was 20, her sister Annie Hanle was 14 and her sister Hanna Kate was 12. Her father Michael Hanley was 50 and her mother Bridget Hanley was 48. The interesting thing about her mother is her maiden name was O'Brien and my great grandmother went on to marry an O'Brien, so i can see your point.

some of the links you sent me I have already looked into and waiting for responses. I am very excited. I looked up the 1901 census report and see your family as well as my family, I am wondering if Michael Hanley and Dudley hanley where maybe brothers? that would be the missing info that would link us together.

Its so funy you mention Irish music. I have inherited all my grandfathers records and there is a large selection of Irish music. I remember he use to love to listen to those albums.

I definitly want to send you some information about my family that you would find interesting. I hope you are able to see my email, if not you can click on my name on this thread and I believe that will give you the option to private message me.
look forward to hearing from you!

(*) Moderator Comment: e-mail removed in accordance with RootsChat policy,
to avoid spamming and other abuses.
Please use the Personal Message (PM) system for exchanging personal data.

New members must make at least three postings before being allowed to use the PM facility.
See Help-Page:  http://www.rootschat.com/help/pms.php