Author Topic: Barmouth, Vaughan, Humphreys, Talbot cottages  (Read 11133 times)

Offline Humphpaul

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Barmouth, Vaughan, Humphreys, Talbot cottages
« on: Saturday 28 February 09 17:02 GMT (UK) »
My g.g.grandfather John Vaughan a boatman and shellfisherman born 1793 Llangelynin married Gwen Lewis 1829 and they lived and died in Penygraig (The Rock) Barmouth.
In 1861/71/81 they are on Penygraig and in 1871 they are next on census form to where Augustus Guyard lived with the Talbots also in 81 where Guyard's address is 2, St Georges. On the other side of the Vaughans is Tynyffyarn cottage.

I am hoping to find out if the Vaughans lived in one of the cottages donated to poor familys by Fanny Talbot. Does anyone know where there is any info re the actual cottages etc. I have been to 2, St. Georges but cannot tell which might have been the Vaughan,s one.

In 91 and 1901 a son of theirs still lived close by. It was a daughter Ellin/Ellen who married (in Liverpool 1861) William Humphreys also of Llanaber who was my maternal g.grandmother. That Willam had a father called William also and his mother was Mary but I can't find their marriage.

If anyone can help I would be very grateful. Alan Williams
Paul, Humphrey, Vaughan, Lewis, Williams, Parry, Jones, Fairclough, Howard, Allan, Baylis, Wright, Ritson.
Barmouth, Llangellinin, Liverpool, Maryport Cumberland, Port Glasgow, Nercwys (Nerquis), Mold, Gwysaney, Hope, Doddleston, Higher Kinnerton.

Offline Renaud

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
Re: Barmouth, Vaughan, Humphreys, Talbot cottages
« Reply #1 on: Monday 04 May 09 20:35 BST (UK) »
Hello Humphpaul, just noticed your posting re Fanny Talbot, have you any idea who this lady was ?. Sorry it does not solve your problem but it may be relavant to my research.
                            Many thanks Renaud.

Offline Humphpaul

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
Fanny Talbot Barmouth.
« Reply #2 on: Tuesday 05 May 09 13:39 BST (UK) »
Dear Renaud. I got most of the info. by googling 'Barmouth, John Ruskin'. and  'National Trust Fanny Talbot' where there is a lot of info about her. There is also on the Barmouth site info about Auguste Guyard with all his live in France and in Barmouth. If you cannot get this info I can send photo copies or the tourist office in Barmouth has a leaflet with extracts from Ruskin's social experiment 1899.

My main interest is just that on the census of 1881 my g.g.grandparents John and Gwen Vaughan are in the next house ,2, St. Georges, where lives Nicholas Augustin Guyard age 77 born France. And in 1871 they are next door to a house owned by a Talbot with the Guyard family a visitors.

So from this info I am trying to pinpoint the cottage where the Vaughans lived. It appears that the place may be just the same as in 1871, a jumble of cottages. St. Georges cottages are still there and occupied.

If I can pass on any other info. please let me know. Alan
Paul, Humphrey, Vaughan, Lewis, Williams, Parry, Jones, Fairclough, Howard, Allan, Baylis, Wright, Ritson.
Barmouth, Llangellinin, Liverpool, Maryport Cumberland, Port Glasgow, Nercwys (Nerquis), Mold, Gwysaney, Hope, Doddleston, Higher Kinnerton.

Offline Renaud

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Tuesday 05 May 09 14:10 BST (UK) »
Hi Alan, thanks for the information, my inquiry was just a potential interesting aside from your main task. I should have delved further. The Fanny Talbot (formerly) Browne relative to your inquiry was born 1824 at Bridgewater. The Fanny Talbot I am interested in was born in Staffordshire 1767.
Sorry for the divertion and good luck with your quest.
                           Good Hunting, Renaud  :)

Offline Bigdanceman

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Re: Barmouth,John Vaughan, Talbot cottages
« Reply #4 on: Monday 15 April 19 18:19 BST (UK) »
Hello! Been 10years since someone posted about John Vaughan! He is my great great great grandfather...My great-great grandmother Ann Evans of Welshpool, nee Vaughan, in Llanaber, Barmouth c 1831 was it seems the oldest child of John Vaughan  and Gwenifred Griffiths. She died in Welshpool/Forden c. 1913. I have a photo of her, with my mother's oldest sister on her knee, with her daughter and granddaughter (my maternal grandmother)..FOUR generations taken in 1912...They had gone to Welshpool to show off what was Ann's first great grandchild and her daughter's first grandchild....I had seen a copy of this photo as a kid but it got lost..I saw it again, only a few years ago, along with a lot of family photos, all thanks to new found family on Ancestry.com.

I think Ann would have gone in to service and travelled along the line towards Shrewsbury to work, settling in Welshpool where she married Evan Evans...She was listed as a Welsh speaker as opposed to her sadly anglicised husband....Her children did have some knowledge of the language which became less and less by the time my grandmother and her siblings were born as they were brought up in Liverpool..Was always told Ann had worked in Powis Castle, which is in Welshpool, at some point..She had a long life and ended her days with her widowed son and his sons. She had had him aged 44. He too was an Evan Evans and had a confectioners shop in Welshpool..A few years earlier she had kept a boarding house in Welshpool, with such exotic residents as a Russian gent... My family maintained very strong ties to Welshpool for many years. Her daughter Elizabeth married my maternal great grandfather John Price who was also born in Welshpool but they did raise their large family over in Liverpool where they both died in 1929 ands 1946.

Ann, of whom I also have a large head and shoulders portrait as a middle aged woman, on the wall of the room I am in just now, was one of two gggrandmothers of whom I did NOT know her maiden name until last week ...I have a very clever new found DNA cousin in the US who found out such for me..We knew we were closely related and I had hoped it was through the other gggrandmother from Ireland, whose name I also did not have...Seems was through Ann after all....

Offline Humphpaul

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Saturday 20 April 19 10:50 BST (UK) »
Dear Bigdanceman. Great to get this reply after all these years. May I add this info to my Ancestry tree?
With regard to ages; John and Gwen had three daughters all baptised at the same time on 24th. June 1847 in Llanaber. It says Elin is 8 years of age, then Mary 5 and Jane is not an-noted so just a baby.
I think the family were non-conformists until then.
Elin/Eleanor etc. was my great gran. and married William Humphreys (who was from Hendrecoed in Llanaber) in Liverpool in 1861 and the family stayed there and that was my birthplace in 1934. Their first child  was Elizabeth and she married a John Paul who was my grand father. I have attached a photo of  Elizabeth taken about 1920 I think. I would very much like to see a copy of your photo if possible.
I too, had my DNA done a few months ago but have not been able to check out every thing yet. Thanks again for writing, cheers Alan Williams, Humphpaul

Offline Bigdanceman

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Saturday 20 April 19 11:36 BST (UK) »
Hi again..!! As regards Non Conformists, always thought Ann must have been one, as she married into such in Welshpool as far, as I know. If on Ancestry can access my tree ..Is called "The Kitson Family Tree" and an open access one.Sure can get in by putting in known names(s)...Have a couple of photos of Ann, as a middle aged woman, and one as part of four generations which I already mentioned...I have seen a picture of this lady in your family already.Think have her on my tree from quite recently.
Perhaps we can link up via Ancestry, as not able to put my email address on this open forum..Best regards!!

Offline Bigdanceman

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Saturday 20 April 19 11:38 BST (UK) »
On Ancestry try Ann Evans (Nee Vaughan) born Llanaber 1831, died Forden c 1913...& link to family trees...

Offline DCB

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Saturday 20 April 19 14:42 BST (UK) »
I was interested to see the name Hendrecoed.

One of my relatives, Griffith Price/Pryse was living there when he died in 1804.

His last daughter Mary was baptised in Llanaber on 19th September 1802.

Her sister, Catherine was also of Hendrecoed (Hendre'r Coed) when she died in 1856, wife of Griffith Edwards.

1851 - https://www.familysearch.org/ark:/61903/1:1:SG81-PW7

I can't find a marriage for Mary but William Humphrey's mother, also Mary, was born in 1802.

David