Author Topic: 1891/1901 census CHAMBERS family- COMPLETED  (Read 30985 times)

Offline colinrandall

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: 1891/1901 census CHAMBERS family- COMPLETED
« Reply #54 on: Sunday 30 April 17 13:04 BST (UK) »
NG
thank you for this information, I standby if Lily was still alive in 1901-- she would have lived with mother as father was deceased, (leonard was a miner perhaps they had a job in the mines called sinker maker)  other daughter went with Hannah Swincoe-- name Violet Ethel Swincoe, ==== so I still feel there is confusion--- Hannah would not have re married  to Edward Chambers and not have taken both children, as Edward was happy to give Violet his name, she only changed it in later years.... Edward and Hannah  had three children together, on the 1901 census says I child deceased...

Offline nottsgirl1

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: Sunday 30 April 17 13:43 BST (UK) »
hi Colin,

Yes I understand what you mean but children did not always stay with mother could be with another relative for some reason, but it does seem she is missing from the 1901 census. If she had died there would be a death record but cannot find one also a burial record and again cannot find one, so if it was me I would have a look at the 1908 marriage to see if it is her.

you say 1901 census says one child died do you mean the 1911 census as that's the one that says how may children they would have had?

NG
Branfoot of Leeds; Nall of Nottingham; Wallis of Stapleford Nottinghamshire; Challand of  East Bridgford Notinghamshire: Hall of Fransfield Nottinghamshire;
Morral of Stanton By Dale, Derbyshire;

Offline colinrandall

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: Sunday 30 April 17 23:43 BST (UK) »
Hi I have tried really hard to find Lily Swincoe  - marriage to Louis Peabody in1908- though no document  so don't know parents---- so can't confirm--
I did manage to find Lily Swincoe granddaughter to James Wood--- so perhaps this is the one that married Louis Peabody---

where do you fall in the tree to Hannah Lane / Swincoe / Chambers
I have the marriage certificate of Edward Chambers--- Hannah and Edward both widows-- Hannah father was John Lane----- this much I can confirm to be true----Hannah's daughter was Violet Ethel Swincoe---
so looks like more research to be done...thank you for your time Brenda

Offline larkspur

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Tracing myself back to better people.Or maybe not!
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: Wednesday 03 May 17 15:04 BST (UK) »
"thank you for this information, I standby if Lily was still alive in 1901-- she would have lived with mother"

Lily would have been 20 years old, probably "out" in service. In which case her name could be mis spelled. (You are spelling it Swincoe, when the birth clearly says Swinscoe.) Also her age could be wrong, Lily spelled Lillie or Lilly.
The Peabody marriage cert would be the way to go.....
AREA, Nottinghamshire. Lincolnshire. Staffordshire. Leicestershire, Morayshire.
Paternal Line--An(t)(c)liff(e).Faulkner. Mayfield. Cant. Davison. Caunt. Trigg. Rawding. Buttery. Rayworth. Pepper. Otter. Whitworth. Gray. Calder. Laing.Wink. Wright. Jackson. Taylor.
Maternal Line--Linsey. Spicer. Corns. Judson. Greensmith. Steel. Woodford. Ellis. Wyan. Callis. Warriner. Rawlin. Merrin. Vale. Summerfield. Cartwright.
Husbands-Beckett. Heald. Pilkington. Arnold. Hall. Willows. Dring. Newcomb. Hawley

Offline colinrandall

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: Wednesday 03 May 17 17:19 BST (UK) »
no Lilly was only 10 years old and not in service, Lillie or Lilly--- Swincoe is the correct spelling for Hannah and Violet Ethel and Leonard-- so there are many spelling errors in lots of records.
Even though I have not found her death certificate, this too is common I feel strongly-- Lily Swincoe that married Peabody is not the same one , in this tree--  thanks brenda

Offline larkspur

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Tracing myself back to better people.Or maybe not!
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: Thursday 04 May 17 11:29 BST (UK) »
"You most likely already have this but in case you dont:
Birth Lily Swinscoe Dec Qtr 1888 Nottingham Vol 7b Pg 323 mother's maiden name Lane

1891 Census Ridgway Terrace, Ridgway Street, St Mary, Nottingham,
Leonard Swinscoe born 1866 Carlton Nottingham, a sink maker
Ann Swinscoe wife born 1867 Sutton Nottinghamshire
Lily Swinscoe daughter aged 10yrs "

Ok Brenda I have finally noticed what you have been talking about. ::)
If this is the Lily born 1888, she would have only been aged 3 on the 1891 census.
 So is this...SWINSCOE, LILY       MMS WOOD
 1882  D Quarter in BASFORD
 Volume 07B  Page 226

There is a baptism 23 Nov 1882 Lily dau of John & Emily Swinscoe at Gedling father a brickmaker.
I will have to come back to this when I have more time.......
Annoying the heck out of me :(
AREA, Nottinghamshire. Lincolnshire. Staffordshire. Leicestershire, Morayshire.
Paternal Line--An(t)(c)liff(e).Faulkner. Mayfield. Cant. Davison. Caunt. Trigg. Rawding. Buttery. Rayworth. Pepper. Otter. Whitworth. Gray. Calder. Laing.Wink. Wright. Jackson. Taylor.
Maternal Line--Linsey. Spicer. Corns. Judson. Greensmith. Steel. Woodford. Ellis. Wyan. Callis. Warriner. Rawlin. Merrin. Vale. Summerfield. Cartwright.
Husbands-Beckett. Heald. Pilkington. Arnold. Hall. Willows. Dring. Newcomb. Hawley

Offline colinrandall

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #60 on: Thursday 04 May 17 12:04 BST (UK) »
yes-- I have this information, I am glad you can see-- I hope I am correct-- its hard when so many people have the same name in the same area...
James Wood is the grandfather of Lily Swinscoe--- in that census-- so I think (not sure) this is the one that married Louis Peabody---
there is also another Lily Swincoe born Basford in aug 1889---
and the Lily Swinscoe father Leonard---born 1888 baptised 25.11.1888 and sister Violet Ethel Swinscoe baptised 30.10.1892-- I feel sure this is the Hannah lane/swinscoe/chambers---
I have John Henry in seven generations on one tree-- I am doing 4 trees, so sometimes it nice to know you are on the right path---
good luck with your research Brenda

Offline nottsgirl1

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #61 on: Thursday 04 May 17 14:03 BST (UK) »
Hi,

There is a marriage of a Lily Swinscoe to John Frederick Boyington Dec Qtr 1901 and according to the Marriage Locator site it was at St Matthias Church Sneinton and on the 1911 census she is born 1882 Carlton living in Grimsby, I think that this is the daughter of John Swinscoe and Emma Wood but I can check the marriage at Nottingham Archives tomorrow to be sure.

Now you say there is another Lily Swinscoe born Aug 1889 I cannot find her on any records.

NG
Branfoot of Leeds; Nall of Nottingham; Wallis of Stapleford Nottinghamshire; Challand of  East Bridgford Notinghamshire: Hall of Fransfield Nottinghamshire;

Offline nottsgirl1

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #62 on: Thursday 04 May 17 14:53 BST (UK) »
Hi again

marriage for Lily Swinscoe to Louis Peabody

1939 Register:
Peabody Household (3 People) 56 Ilkeston Road , Nottingham C.B., Nottinghamshire, England
First name(s) Last name(s) DOB Occupation
Lily Peabody 18 Oct 1888 Unpaid Household Duties
Louis Peabody 19 Sep 1884 War Reservist Labourer Special Constable (Ryson) Society Dyer
1 closed record here.............
Alice Chambers 12 Dec 1903 Lace Finisher

I do think that this is the Lily you are looking for

NG