Author Topic: Lookup - LETHBRIDGE - Jersey - completed with thanks.  (Read 1439 times)

Offline jannic

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Lookup - LETHBRIDGE - Jersey - completed with thanks.
« on: Monday 02 March 09 14:25 GMT (UK) »
Hi,
I'm a bit stuck on the LETHBRIDGE branch of my tree.
I have Louisa LETHBRIDGE born c1842 in Jersey, which is confirmed by most subsequent census returns.  From the 1851 census I have her parents names, which are James and Mary, both of whom state that they are from Devon.  All other children on the census returns except Louisa were born in Devon.

I would like details of Louisa's baptism if possible to find out where in Jersey the family were living and why as it seems so unlikely that a labourer/market gardener would be visiting the Island with a wife about to give birth!

Louisa does not appear in the civil registration lists which started in 1842 - a kind soul looked for me.

Any help on this family would be gratefully received.

Many thanks,
Jan
STALLWOOD
SCREEN
SHINGLETON
STADDON
NORTHOVER

Offline Hill

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Re: Lookup wanted - LETHBRIDGE - Jersey
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday 03 March 09 17:34 GMT (UK) »
Hi Jan

Louisa was baptised in St Martin, 1st August 1841. Parents were James Lethbridge and Mary Wood. God parents were James Lethbridge, Peter Bastow, Mary Butts and Mary Wood.

As to why they were in Jersey I don't think we'll ever find out, but, I notice there is a 20 year old William Lethbridge in St Martin in the 1841 Census. Could there be a connection? Alternatively, is there an army connection?

Stewart

Offline jannic

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Wednesday 04 March 09 11:21 GMT (UK) »
Hi Stewart,

Thankyou so much for taking the time to do this lookup for me.  If there's anything I can do for you in South Wales, Somerset or Wiltshire please get in touch.

I have a couple of questions about Jersey and the records if that's OK?

Is St Martin a place or a Church?
Here on the mainland our Church baptism records after 1813 give an abode (often just the town) and the father's occupation but we don't as a rule get the mother's maiden name unless she is unmarried.  Then again I've not seen god parents names given.

So far as I am aware there is no connection with the army,  I have been wondering about how expensive/difficult the journey to Jersey would have been from Devon back then.  As you say I doubt if I'll ever know what they were doing there but thanks to you I have three other names to lookat to see if connections appear.

Once again thankyou for your time,
All the best
Jan
STALLWOOD
SCREEN
SHINGLETON
STADDON
NORTHOVER

Offline Hill

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Wednesday 04 March 09 15:37 GMT (UK) »
Hi Jan

Although Jersey is only 9 miles by 5 miles, it is divided into 12 Parishes, each with its own Parish Church and Parish Hall. Civil Registration started later than the UK in 1842, so up until then Parish records still exist, going back in some cases to the 1500's. So St Martin's is a Parish and has its own Parish Church. It was, and still is, a very rural Parish in the north east of the island and is the closest to France being only about 12 miles away. France is clearly visible and you can see the lights of cars at night time.

The Parish Records and Civil Records do tend to mention both the husbands surname and the wife's maiden name. In fact they still do today. When I complete my tax return I have to state my wife's maiden name and when we bought the house it is again done in her maiden name!! Sadly though the Parish Records do not mention an abode. It is possible though by other means to establish who owned a property. All Land Registry is on a computer system but not available over the internet.

The reason why I suggested an army connect was because England was still at odds with France at that time and Jersey held a strategic position in their conflict. Consequently the UK sent over troops regularly and there are a number of Garrisons in St Martins.

As regards help with Somerset, S Wales etc. My own family on my fathers side come from Bridgewater and moved to South Wales in the mid-1800's. I was in fact born at Caerleon and lived my early life in Cardiff. My mother's side come from deepest Montgomeryshire and I have produced their trees going back to the 1700's - but many thanks for your offer.

Stewart