Author Topic: Joan Sloan nee Rutherford  (Read 3236 times)

Offline brimarge

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Joan Sloan nee Rutherford
« on: Tuesday 03 March 09 12:41 GMT (UK) »
My mothers uncle Robert Sloan married Joan Rutherford in Scotland , they emigrated to the USA, not sure when but probably in the 1930s. They had 4 sons (I think)

Robert Sloan returned to Scotland in Sept 1949 and died Nov 1949 aged 55, but his family stayed in the USA (possibly divorced) I believe they lived in Detroit at one time

Can anyone provide me with details of the family and what happened to them

Thanks

Moderator comment: if you can help please supply details by Personal Message to protect the identity of living people.  Thanks

Offline shellyesq

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Joan Sloan nee Rutherford
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday 03 March 09 13:26 GMT (UK) »
I found a passenger list from 1920 that has a Robert Sloan with wife Joan & two children.  It says their last permanent residence was Wishaw, Scotland.  Nearest relative was father William Sloan, 21 Well Street, Bridgeton, Glasgow.  They were going to join sister-in-law Alice Prentice in West Virginia.  It says Robert was born in Old Cumnock, Joan was born in Overtown, and the sons were born in Wishaw.  Does that sound like the right family?

If you have exact dates of birth for Robert or Joan, that could be helpful.

Offline brimarge

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Tuesday 03 March 09 13:44 GMT (UK) »
Thanks this is them, I don't have exact birth dates but Robert was born in 1894.

There may only be 2 children as Ii have conflicting information between 2 or 4

Brian

Offline shellyesq

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Tuesday 03 March 09 14:48 GMT (UK) »
The passenger list is free on ellisisland.org, if you want to take a look at it.

I found this on the 1929 Detroit city directory here on pg. 1878:
Sloan, Robt (Joan) autoworker h 14897 Greenfield Av.
http://quod.lib.umich.edu/cgi/t/text/text-idx?c=genpub;idno=ACS8107.1928.001

I found them in Detroit in the 1930 Census, but Ancestry had them transcribed as Floan. 

16242 Freeland (?) Av.
Sloan, Robert, head, rents for $30, no radio set, male, white, age 34, married, age at 1st marriage - 22, b. Scotland, parents b. Scotland, immigrated 1920, alien, truck driver for coal co., not a veteran

wife Joan, female, white, age 31, married, age at 1st marriage - 19, b. Scotland, parents b. Scotland, immigrated 1920, alien, no occupation

son William, male, white, age 11, single, b. Scotland, parents b. Scotland, immigrated 1920, alien, attending school

son Alex, male, white, age 10, single, b. Scotland, parents b. Scotland, immigrated 1920, alien, attending school

son Robert, male, white, age 2 yrs. 9 mos., not attending school, b. Michigan, parents b. Scotland

nephew Rutherford, Neal, male, white, age 20, single, b. Scotland, parents b. Scotland, immigrated 1912, naturalized, truck driver for coal co.

nephew Rutherford, James, male, white, age 19, single, b. Scotland, parents b. Scotland, immigrated 1912, naturalized, truck driver for coal co.

niece Rutherford, Margaret, female, white, age 17, single, not attending school, b. West Virginia, parents b. Scotland, maid - sanitorium

nephew Rutherford, William, male, white, age 14, single, attending school, b. West Virginia, parents b. Scotland, no occupation

Offline brimarge

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Tuesday 09 March 10 18:50 GMT (UK) »
Would it be possible to find a death date for Joan Sloan nee Rutherford, she divorced Robert Sloan but  don't know when, so it is possible she remarried

I think they had a 4th son but do not know his name or birth

Perhaps a tall order
Brian

Offline brimarge

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Tuesday 09 March 10 19:15 GMT (UK) »
Just ran off her marriage cert 31 Dec 1917 to find she had a middle name of Nelson (her mothers maiden name)

Brian

Offline shellyesq

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Tuesday 09 March 10 19:31 GMT (UK) »
You can try checking the Social Security Death Index, which is free at www.rootsweb.com or www.familysearch.org.  (This generally only has deaths from 1964 and beyond, so she wouldn't likely be there if she died early.)  If you had an exact date of birth, you could try doing an advanced search with just her first name and date of birth, in case she remarried.  You might want to check there for her children as well, although the common names could be an issue.

Offline brimarge

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Wednesday 10 March 10 10:24 GMT (UK) »
Found a Rutherford tree on ancestry, which looks like the grandson of her brother, waiting to see if he replies to my contact

Did not find anything on other searches
Brian

Offline shellyesq

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Thursday 18 March 10 16:12 GMT (UK) »
Was Alice Prentice Joan's sister?  If so, do you know what happened to Alice?