Author Topic: Angus McDonald - b. 1846 Lancaster and after......  (Read 5114 times)

Offline cosmac

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Angus McDonald - b. 1846 Lancaster and after......
« on: Friday 06 March 09 16:50 GMT (UK) »
I have edited this original message to take out outdated information and add new information.  I am still looking for Angus McDonald.  Any thoughts or possibilities greatly appreciated.

This is a link to the family of Angus McDonald on the 1851 census.  They are lines 16 to 27.
http://automatedgenealogy.com/census52/View.jsp?id=21584&highlight=26&desc=1852+Census+of+Canada+page+containing+Angus+McDonald

The family emigrated around 1838 and worked as day labourers in Lancaster Township until they bought their own land in Roxborough Township.   I have found baptismal records in the Drouin collection (St. Raphaels) for all the children born in Canada except for Donald and Alexander.  The surname of the mother, Mary, is often listed as McLellan but also McLennan.  The father's surname can also be seen as McDonell.  Marriage records for some of the children also show the different spellings of surnames.

On the 1861 census the family is all together on the family farm in Roxborough Township except for Margaret (possibility she died at 17? - record of death through St. Andrews West records but with such a common name it's hard to know).

A descendant of Angus' brother John had the information that brother Donald was born March 16, 1838 Ontario and died April 14, 1865 in Green Bay Wis. (drowned).  I cannot find the birth record but can find the reference to this persons burial.  The oldest son Ronald also had links to Wisconsin.  On his marriage registration to Flora Kennedy it indicates that he had formerly resided in Wisconsin. 

After 1861 I can't definitely pinpoint where Angus is.  I mentioned his two brothers and their connection to Wisconsin because I did find, through online forums and family trees, someone who had an Angus Donald McDonald, son of Donald McDonald and Mary McLellan born Glengarry County 10 June 1847.    My Angus McDonald's baptismal record in St. Raphael's is under Angus McDonell 2 July 1846 with a birth date of 16 June 1846 in Lancaster Township Glengarry County with parents  Donald McDonell and Mary McLellan.   I never found a birth record with the date of June 1847 for Angus.

cont'd

Debbie

Offline cosmac

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Angus McDonald - where is he?
« Reply #1 on: Monday 30 March 09 17:22 BST (UK) »
http://www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php/topic,371205.0.html

I've added a link to Angus MacDonald's photo.  The kind people in the photography forum have used their expertise to date it to late 1860s, very early 1870s.  The photo is labelled Uncle Angus and does have a smudged date which I now think is 1871.   The same hand that labelled this photo also signed attestation papers for WWI in 1918.  Daniel George McDonald, son of Alexander (older brother to Angus) also sent a postcard about Camp Witley that wished Angus a merry Christmas.  I always took this to mean that the Angus b. in 1846 was still alive around 1918 but the card might have been to Daniel's nephew b. in 1916, also an Angus (my father-in-law).

At the moment I am looking at trying to find Angus' born about 1846 in either Glengarry or Stormont County who had parents of Donald and Mary, both born in Scotland and trace them forward in time.  Ontario marriages with parents of Donald McDonald and Mary McLellan or McLennan bring up the members of the family from the 1851 census at the above link.  It is tempting to consider the Angus who died in Stillwater Minnesota to be my Angus as the parents' names and his date of birth are close.  Unfortunately my photo and the photo attached to family trees for Angus in Stillwater don't match!  Of course my photo or theirs could be mislabelled.

Debbie

Offline matkinson

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Re: Angus McDonald - where is he?
« Reply #2 on: Tuesday 29 June 10 06:43 BST (UK) »
HI,
Am not sure about Angus but am seeking info in regard to Duncan McDonell born abt 1844 Bunoich, Invernesshire, mother -  Mary (?) when (?) born abt 1807. - living civil parish Abertarff, County Inverness, Address Fort Augustus in 1861 census - father Donald McDonell born abt 1802.  Duncan is my g.g.grandfather.  This is all info I have.  Are we connected in any way? Many thanks.

Offline cosmac

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Angus McDonald - b. 1846 Lancaster and after......
« Reply #3 on: Thursday 09 August 12 02:14 BST (UK) »
I have eliminated the Angus McDonald resident on Wolfe Island, Frontenance County.  Right religion but wrong parents.

There is an Angus McDonald in King York North on the 1901 and 1911 census.  He married Mary Vandenburgh in 1873 at Newmarket and died between 1911 and 1935.  Her death in 1935 said she was widowed.  They are buried in St. Mary's Roman Catholic Church, Nobelton, King township, York County with her parents Stephen Vanderburgh and Julia Ann Foster.  Her death and marriage registrations give different parental information.  One says Charles and Mary and the other Julia Ann Foster and John Vanderburgh and the cemetery has a Stephen.  Since her parental information was wrong? on the marriage certificate perhaps Angus' was as well.  His parents were given as Angus and Mary Ann.  I will contact the cemetery and see if they can clarify parental information on this Angus before I completely eliminate him.

Edited to add:
Church (St. Patricks) contacted that looks after St. Mary's and they had no records for the cemetery but they gave me a contact who looked up the church records for the marriage.  Angus' parents were again given as Angus and Mary McDoanld.  Since my Angus' father is always referred to as Donald I will rule out this possibility.

I've also traced a few families in the U.S. and unfortunately that last piece of information regarding the parentage of the Angus I am tracing always seems to elude me.  I'll add a condensed version of the families I've look at in the U.S. in the next post.

Debbie

Offline cosmac

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Thursday 09 August 12 02:40 BST (UK) »
Angus McDonald b. 1847 Canada married Flora McDougall b. 1845 Canada Mar 25, 1869 Alpena, Alpena, Michigan.  There is a death for Florence and then a marriage for a widowed Angus McDonald of Alpena Mi in Ontario in Sept 1883 at Glen Nevis Glengarry.  His parents are given as Alexander and Mary McDonald.    In 1900 the family is in Alpena MI and by 1910 they have relocated to Duluth Minnesota and this Angus dies in 1916.  FamilySearch has records for children etc.  A private tree on ancestry shows Angus C. Mcdonald born March 22, 1846 s/o Alexander McDonald and Mary McDougal.
Another Angus eliminated!

Debbie

Offline cosmac

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Thursday 09 August 12 02:54 BST (UK) »
Angus D. McDonald b. 1847 Canada married Maria Borland b. 1857 N.Y. on Nov 8, 1880 Ludington Mason Michigan.  Marriage by a Catholic priest.  the McDonald family settled in Ashland, Ashland, Wisconsin and Angus and family are buried in Saint Agnes R.C. Cemetery Ashland.  Only one son, John, married and that later in life.  The cemetery gave me details of their death dates and John's marriage (1942) but because the couple did not marry in their church no parental information was gathered on either Angus McDonald or wife Maria Borland.  by tracing Maria's family from Waddington, N.Y. in newspapers I could find out that Angus was from Cornwall, Ontario.  Close but not exactly Roxborough township.  I have asked for an obituary lookup from a historical organization as I have his burial date in 1930 but so far no response.  I haven't been able to find a family tree for Maria's family to see if they have any information on Angus.

Edited to Add:
Received Wisconsin death certificate for Angus D. McDonald d. 1930 Ashland.  Parents given as S. McDonald and Ann McDonald both born Canada.  Definitely not a match for the Angus I'm looking for - wrong parents
.[/color]

In the same Saint Agnes Cemetery in Ashland is another Angus D. McDonald (1842-1898) and son Dan. A. (1878 -1906).  Angus D. McDonald d. 13 Sept 1989 Ashland, b. 1841 Canada, jobber.  s/o McDonald and McDonald wife Flora Mcdonald. 
1880 US census for chippewa Falls, Wisconsin is Angus McDonald, 39, b. Canada and parents b. Scotland occupation logger and wife Flora, 34 b. Cda and children Daniel A. 2 b. Wis and H. Gordon 10 mos. b. Wis.
1905 Wisconsin census Flora is widowed and living with children Daniel F. 27, Gordon H. 25, and George H., 21.  all born Wisconsin.
1920 King, Washinton Gordon is living with wife Helen and then he remarries to Lillian Austin in Vancouver in 1922.  His parents are given as Angus W. McDonald and Florence McDougall.  1930 US census Gordon is with wife Lillian in Seattle King Washington.  Flora's death April 08 1920 in Seattle.  b. 1846, w/o A.D. McDonald and d/o Dougal McDougall.  Still no parental information for this Angus McDonald.

Debbie