Author Topic: 1861 census - Cockburn  (Read 2026 times)

Offline cmcmull

• RootsChat Veteran
  • I've not edited my PROFILE yet
    • View Profile
1861 census - Cockburn
« on: Saturday 07 March 09 04:21 GMT (UK) »
Hello
Can anyone help me find family of James age 36 and Mary age 37 Cockburn. They came to Aust in Jan 1862 with a large family but I think the surname may have been spelt differently as I can't find them in Scotland in 1861.  Children included Jane 18, William 16, Alex 14, John 12, Elizabeth 10, Mary 6 and Margaret 2.  Parents were married 1841 in Tarbolton Ayrshire
Thanks, Carmel
McMullen NSW & NZ, Brewster, Freestone Cambs, Carlyon, Jolliffe and Leverton Cornwall, Sutton, Ellis Lincs, Soles Gls., Boyce Tyrone, Leckey Co Down, Cuthell London & Stirlingshire Scotland, Cubitt London Sussex and Norfolk, Vale NSW, Wenham Cambs,Goodfellow Wiltshire, Shaw Derbys. & Notts., Whitlock Norfolk, Fort Lancs., Cameron Inverness, Fraser Stratherrick, Scotland, Reedy Ennis Co Clare, Murphy, Brennan, McAuliffe Newmarket, Co Cork, Doherty, Reynolds M'town Malbay, Ennistymon  Clare

Offline jonn

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
Re: 1861 census - Cockburn
« Reply #1 on: Saturday 07 March 09 08:45 GMT (UK) »

Hello Carmel,

This looks like your family living in Old Cumnock, Ayr. 1861. this is not the full census.

Cockburn James, age 36 years, born Dundonald, Ayr,
Cockburn Mary, age 37 years, born Tarbolton, Ayr,
Cockburn William, age 17 years, born Tarbolton, Ayr,
Cockburn Jean, age 15 years, born Tarbolton, Ayr,
Cockburn Alexander, age 13 years, born Tarbolton, Ayr,
Cockburn James, age 10 years, born Auchinleck, Ayr,
Cockburn Elizabeth, age 7 years, born Auchinleck, Ayr,
Cockburn Mary, age 4 years, born Auchinleck, Ayr,
Cockburn Margaret, age 1 year, born Cumnock, Ayr.

Most of the childrens births are on the IGI. the mothers name is Mary Campbell.

Regards,
Jonn.

Offline LrdSW

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Wednesday 29 June 22 00:21 BST (UK) »
Hello,
I know this post of your's was from many years ago however I am hoping you have undertaken research on James and Mary Cockburn .
I am a descendant of James and Mary and have been building a tree around the Cockburn's for many years. I am current researching where the cockburn's of Dundonald came from in Scotland and from what Cockburn clan.
I am currently confident with research I have done back to Androw born:1 Jan 1606 Kelso, Roxburghshire, Scotland and his death on 4 Jan 1653 Nungate, Midlothian, Scotland.
He was married twice to Jonet Kerswell and Jonet Seattone / Seaton. I belive his fathers name was Johne (jhone) Cockburne born abt 1578 and married to Jonet Andersone born abt 1578 in unknown and her death :1612 Chricton, Midlothian, Scotland.
Any help would be great.

Offline Forfarian

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • http://www.rootschat.com/links/01ruz/
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Sunday 18 December 22 09:37 GMT (UK) »
I am current researching where the cockburn's of Dundonald came from in Scotland and from what Cockburn clan.
Please don't get sidetracked by clans, which were a feature of social life in the Highlands.

Unfortunately most of the world appears to be labouring under the delusion that all Scots belong to a clan. This in quite simply not true.

The name Cockburn originates in the Borders, just about as far from the Highlands as it is possible to get. See https://archive.org/details/surnamesofscotla00geor/page/158/mode/2up?q=cockburn for information.
Never trust anything you find online (especially submitted trees and transcriptions on Ancestry, MyHeritage, FindMyPast and other commercial web sites) unless it's an image of an original document - and even then be wary because errors can and do occur.

Offline LrdSW

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Sunday 18 December 22 20:23 GMT (UK) »
Thank you for your reply. Yes I do understand and apologise for using this term. Perhaps I should have used the words "Houses of Cockburn" or "lineage".
The main point to my post was to see if anyone had infromation on my family members I had listed in the post.
Thanks Again