Author Topic: [Completed, thank you] Where is Witton cum Twambrooks?  (Read 13805 times)

Offline Forfarian

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • http://www.rootschat.com/links/01ruz/
    • View Profile
[Completed, thank you] Where is Witton cum Twambrooks?
« on: Saturday 07 March 09 11:35 GMT (UK) »
This place is listed in the 1841 and 1851 censuses, but so far I have failed to find it on the map. Can anyone help?
Never trust anything you find online (especially submitted trees and transcriptions on Ancestry, MyHeritage, FindMyPast and other commercial web sites) unless it's an image of an original document - and even then be wary because errors can and do occur.

Offline Tati

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Ephraim's daughter to infinity & beyond
    • View Profile
Re: Where is Witton cum Twambrooks?
« Reply #1 on: Saturday 07 March 09 11:46 GMT (UK) »
 "My dear, I think the English pronounce it 'appiness"  

I'm afraid of no ghost

Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Forfarian

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Saturday 07 March 09 12:37 GMT (UK) »
Any help?

Many thanks.

The GENUKI listing does and doesn't help.

I know it had to be somewhere around Northwich because all the BMDs are registered in Northwich district, but I still haven't found either Witton or Twambrooks on the map.

Of the places listed in the GENUKI entry I've found Great Budworth, Hartford, Lach Dennis, Lostock Graham and Winnington, but I remain perpexed because these are respectively north, west-south-west. east, north-east and north-north-west of Northwich.

Other places which crop up in the family I'm looking at are Leftwich, Davenham, Barnton, Anderton, Tarvin, Tarporley, Clotton Hoofield, Peover, Runcorn, Leigh and Holt (Denbighshire), all of which I have found, and Dane Bridge and Marlston cum Lache (which I assume is close to Lach Dennis) which I have not yet found.

I could try www.old-maps.co.uk but without knowing whether I need to look north, south, east or west of Northwich, or how far away (Lach Dennis is 5 km from the centre of Northwich) it would take hours because the map shifts about 100 metres each time you move it.

Never trust anything you find online (especially submitted trees and transcriptions on Ancestry, MyHeritage, FindMyPast and other commercial web sites) unless it's an image of an original document - and even then be wary because errors can and do occur.

Offline GeoffE

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Saturday 07 March 09 12:52 GMT (UK) »
Don't cry because its over. Smile because it happened.

Offline stanmapstone

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Saturday 07 March 09 13:43 GMT (UK) »
This is an 1880 map
Stan

Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Forfarian

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Saturday 07 March 09 14:03 GMT (UK) »
Fantastic!

I've got it on the map now, including Leicester Street which is one of the addresses where the family I'm researching lived.

Thank you very much indeed, Tati, GeoffE and Stan. All your help is much appreciated.

Offline sparkly1

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: [Completed, thank you] Where is Witton cum Twambrooks?
« Reply #6 on: Friday 09 May 14 12:38 BST (UK) »
Hi Forfarian ... Long shot that you still monitor this, but who on Leicester St,Witton cum Twambrook & Runcorn are you interested in? That's where my research has taken me.

Offline silvery

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • information Crown Copyright, from www.nation
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Friday 09 May 14 13:37 BST (UK) »
Any help?

Many thanks.

The GENUKI listing does and doesn't help.

I know it had to be somewhere around Northwich because all the BMDs are registered in Northwich district, but I still haven't found either Witton or Twambrooks on the map.

Of the places listed in the GENUKI entry I've found Great Budworth, Hartford, Lach Dennis, Lostock Graham and Winnington, but I remain perpexed because these are respectively north, west-south-west. east, north-east and north-north-west of Northwich.

Other places which crop up in the family I'm looking at are Leftwich, Davenham, Barnton, Anderton, Tarvin, Tarporley, Clotton Hoofield, Peover, Runcorn, Leigh and Holt (Denbighshire), all of which I have found, and Dane Bridge and Marlston cum Lache (which I assume is close to Lach Dennis) which I have not yet found.

I could try www.old-maps.co.uk but without knowing whether I need to look north, south, east or west of Northwich, or how far away (Lach Dennis is 5 km from the centre of Northwich) it would take hours because the map shifts about 100 metres each time you move it.

Chester - Lache area.    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Marlston_cum_Lache
"This information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk"

Offline SwissGill

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: [Completed, thank you] Where is Witton cum Twambrooks?
« Reply #8 on: Friday 09 May 14 14:35 BST (UK) »
Hi nearly all my maternal grandmother's family lived in Witton-cum-Twambrooks. Here are some of the residents (Leicester Street included):

http://www.geocities.ws/mar1elene/1857wittonres.html

Whitlow: Witton-cum-Twambrooks/Northwich
Bowers: Marthall, Siddington, Cheshire
Owen: Cheshire
Pfisterer (Fisher): West Riding Yks 1850-1875
Fisher (Pfisterer): Des Moines, Iowa 1886-
Wallis: West Riding Yks/Des Moines, Iowa, 1892-
Heinzmann: Hull/Northwich
Pfisterer, Heinzmann, Künzelsau, Baden-Württemberg
Brueck: Kocherstetten B-W
Volpp: Morsbach B-W
Schluchterer: Künzelsau, B-W