Author Topic: DRUMMOND - Cavan  (Read 1898 times)

Offline Staffslass

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
DRUMMOND - Cavan
« on: Sunday 08 March 09 09:27 GMT (UK) »
I understand that a lot of Irish data no longer exists and wonder what I might look at to find out about my ancestors John (born about 1776)and Mary Drummond. John was a tailor and had moved his family to Wales/England by 1841.  One son Edward was born in Cavan c.1824.
I'd like to know more about the family when they were in Ireland.

Online aghadowey

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: DRUMMOND - Cavan
« Reply #1 on: Sunday 08 March 09 11:27 GMT (UK) »
Welcome to Rootschat. Certainly many Irish census records, some church records, etc. were destroyed years ago but this doesn't really matter when you are trying to trace people in Ireland in early 1800s as there were few records to start with. Civil registration of births, deaths and Catholic marriages started 1864 (from 1845 for other marriages).

To trace your particular family in Ireland you will need to know their religion (to find church records- if they exist) and where they lived- parish if not actual townland (to find other records).

Have you traced your Drummonds through all available English census records to see if the recorded a more exact place of birth than 'Cavan' ?
Away sorting out DNA matches... I may be gone for some time many years!

Offline Staffslass

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Sunday 08 March 09 12:56 GMT (UK) »
Thanks aghadowey.  Yes, I've tracked all records from England and Wales since 1841 and this is the only place mentioned. I don't know religious denomination either.  I am going to make contact with someone who will look into parish records I think.  It sounds as though it will be a hit or miss venture.

Online aghadowey

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Sunday 08 March 09 13:24 GMT (UK) »
Don't see how you can look for 'parish' records without knowing either their religion or where they lived in Co. Cavan. (and it's possible that the church records don't even exist).
Away sorting out DNA matches... I may be gone for some time many years!