Author Topic: Offer: "Lord Burleigh" arrived Australia 1856. LOOK-UPS.  (Read 6053 times)

Offline LoneyBones

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Wot, me worry?
    • View Profile
Offer: "Lord Burleigh" arrived Australia 1856. LOOK-UPS.
« on: Sunday 08 March 09 09:40 GMT (UK) »
Hi,
I have a copy of the hand written list of immigrants who were part of the "Family Colonization Loan Society" aboard the "Lord Burleigh", 1856.
I'm willing to look up names for people who had family on this ship.
The published lists are alphabetical so don't help with other family members with different surnames. The list I have is in family groupings.
The FCLS grouped emigrants into about 6 couples, or 12 adults, and their children. These groups were formed into a "Mess Group" for the voyage (eating together, with children and any single women bunked together) they were encouraged to get to know each other before they set out to Australia.
Regards,
Leonie.
Direct matriarchal line; ENNIS-Yeatman-Cooper-Papps-Ryland-Lechford/Luxford-Bagshaw-Henriett
ENNIS-Thomas-Bonnin-Aldridge-Williams-Harding-Brown.
ENNIS-Davis/Davies-Buck-Oakley-
JONES-Roberts-Handy-Ross-Warrillow-Eagles-Cotterill-Bailey.
JONES-Walton-Grayson-Stobbs-Baldwin-Ibbotson-Scott.
JONES-Goodwin-Parker-Instant-Hubbard-Hancock-Skinner.

STILL LOOKING FOR: Elizabeth Ann Balfour ENNIS nee DAVIS. Disappeared in Adelaide, South Australia. 1881.

Offline andrewm

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: "Lord Burleigh" arrived Australia 1856. LOOK-UPS.
« Reply #1 on: Sunday 09 May 10 00:39 BST (UK) »
Hi

Are you able to scan part of the hand-written list?  I'm interested in Hector and Ann MacDonald and their six children.  They were on this vessel, though I'm not sure if they were part of the assisted scheme.

Thanks,
Andrew

Offline LoneyBones

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Wot, me worry?
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Monday 10 May 10 11:42 BST (UK) »
Well darn, they're not on my list.  And this is the first time anyone has asked.  :-\
Sorry I couldn't help. What I have is the list from the Immigration Scheme, all hand written.

Welcome to RootsChat anyway Andrew, stick around, you might find some help in other searches.  :D

Leonie.
Direct matriarchal line; ENNIS-Yeatman-Cooper-Papps-Ryland-Lechford/Luxford-Bagshaw-Henriett

STILL LOOKING FOR: Elizabeth Ann Balfour ENNIS nee DAVIS. Disappeared in Adelaide, South Australia. 1881.

Offline andrewm

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Monday 10 May 10 15:16 BST (UK) »
Sorry, my fault.  I realised after posting you were talking about arrivals into Australia. I'm interested in its journey to New Zealand April to August 1856. Now, if you had the passenger listings from that journey ....

Offline LoneyBones

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Wot, me worry?
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Tuesday 11 May 10 04:06 BST (UK) »
That's OK. :D
I got a copy of the the original from the Sturt University in Wagga Wagga, NSW. They have a lot of early shipping records. I have no idea if they might also have NZ shipping records.
However, as I was having trouble finding early records I simply sent an email to them. I've had some good results by emailing the holders of records. Especially if they are in regional areas and don't get as many requests as busy city record repositories.
It's always worth a try.

Leonie.
 :D