Author Topic: MCGEORGE family  (Read 60596 times)

Offline KC

• RootsChat Extra
  • I've not edited my PROFILE yet
    • View Profile
Re: MCGEORGE family
« Reply #9 on: Sunday 02 October 05 08:06 BST (UK) »
Hello to my McGeorge cousins,  one day we will find that link.!
  Anne I am interested in the Kirk Session records you mentioned.  Did you get them through the LDS on film?   Are you able to give me the details of McGeorge and what years do they cover.?

thanks
Kay

Offline annemaj

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Sunday 02 October 05 10:21 BST (UK) »
Hi Kay,

I actually had to buy the Kirk Session Records through the Society I belong to here in Melbourne, they are not available through the LDS, 'no distribution to FHCs'.    The Session Records themselves only cover years 1806-1847 and also Disciplines 1815-1838.    There is a lot about John McGeorge, they took it all down just about word for word and it is fascinating.    He was a very naughty boy!!    Apart from naming his father, nothing on the family.    It is very time consuming reading the records as you really have to read each entry for each meeting.    John McGeorge was up before the Kirk elders at least three times, accused of fathering children by three different girls.    One particular entry gives a blow by blow account of just what happened, and how John McGeorge and his father Peter tried to persuade her to abort the child.     I am very pleased I lashed out and got them, cost about thirty pounds I think.    I also got the parish records for Urr, they cost almost as much.    Doesn't help with links, but interesting all the same.

Anne

Offline KC

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Monday 03 October 05 09:05 BST (UK) »
Hi Anne,  John sounds as though he was a busy man!   Can you tell me the names of the women and if the babies were named. Often in Scotland the illg. child carried on with the father's name. It might help me to narrow down some names.
Also does it say what John and his father Peter did for a living and where they were living?   Poor people, little did they realise that 200years later their 'sins' were going around the world.

What Society did you buy them through?  They sound quite fascinating.
thanks
Kay

Offline annemaj

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Monday 03 October 05 11:05 BST (UK) »
Kay,

Jean Baxter was one of them, but he eventually married her after two illigitimate children, Elizabeth in 1807 and John in 1810.      Elizabeth Moffat also accused him in 1810, in this case John said he had witnesses that had heard her name another man as the father of the child.    They were all related to him in one way or another and included the mother of Jean Baxter!     Before that was Janet Stuart in 1808.    She eventually married so the child might have taken the step-father's name.    She was living in Grosmichael in 1815 when the case was dragged up because John "has never cleared himself of this scandal."  This was the one that included the story of how John and his father tried to persuade her to abort the child.    In 1835 there is mention of John McGeorge again being up before the Elders for fornication with a Barbara Gurr.    He confesses his guilt and they are admonished.    Now, this is not the same John as he died in 1832, so perhaps son John following in father's footsteps!

No occupation for either John or his father Peter McGeorge, but they came from Auchenreoch, near Urr.

I belong to the Australian Institute of Genealogical Studies here in Melbourne, a genealogists paradise, and I got the records through them.    They hold them now and anyone can look at them, it's how we build up our holdings.

If you want anything looked up in Urr, let me know.

Cheers,

Anne   

Offline KC

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Wednesday 12 October 05 01:55 BST (UK) »
Hi Anne,
Thank you for all that lovely information about John and his father Peter, I didn't have that, and everything is most welcome.   I used to belong to that Gen soc and used to visit it when I went Melbourne. As you said it is absolutely wonderful and I could have spent all my holiday just there!

Kay

Offline Northerngirl

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Sunday 16 October 05 19:39 BST (UK) »
Hello again Wendy.

In doing my research for the Murray family in Urr I came across Elizabeth McGeorge who married a James Murray.  In the 1851 census for Springholm Urr (dumgal.gov site) she is described as a widow (and runs a grocer's shop if I recall).  She has several young children.   I've also come across this Elizabeth and James on another site including a list of births for Murray/McMurray. 

I hope this snippet is of use to you.

Yours J.A
SCOTLAND
KBC interests - Murray and Shaw: Blacklock and Kirkland.
DMS interests - as KBC.

ENGLAND
Northumberland
Murray: > 1920 in Longbenton/Forest Hall; Howick 1920's
Elliott: North Nbld 1800's
Straughan/Straphen: North Nbld 1800's and 1910's/1920's Craster.
Henderson(nee Elliott)/Brodie Haydon Bridge 1900's
Bell (nee Elliott) Christon Bank/Embleton 1900's

IRELAND
County Mayo
Mills: Erris Head and Gortmellia
Mullarky: as same
Ginnelly: as same

Offline annemaj

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Monday 17 October 05 00:08 BST (UK) »
Hello!
Hope you don't mind if I butt in?    I am very interested in the MURRAY and McGEORGE families from Urr, and do have quite a lot of information.    James MURRAY and Elizabeth McGEORGE are my husband's 3xg.grandparents.    James was about 40 years older than Elizabeth and died before the 1851 census as you know, and she never married again.    Among their children was another James MURRAY, he married a girl from Dumfries, in London, and in 1877 they went to South Australia with their family.   
If you would like any more info. do let me know.    Can you tell me the site you found James and Elizabeth on please?Anne - Melbourne, Australia

Offline mog

• RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Monday 17 October 05 00:16 BST (UK) »
i am interested in finding william mc george born in newcastle roughly year 1926 had a sister anne

Offline annemaj

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Monday 17 October 05 00:26 BST (UK) »
Sorry, I can't help with that one.
Anne - Melbourne