Author Topic: Samuel WOODMAN - Barbados  (Read 3790 times)

Offline KayP

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
Samuel WOODMAN - Barbados
« on: Sunday 08 March 09 20:06 GMT (UK) »
I came across this family will (see below) and I am trying to find out where Samuel came from:

The last will and testament of Samuel Woodman of the parish of St. Michael, blacksmith, unto my two coloured children, Samuel Woodman and John Richard Woodman, boys reputed to me, the Boarded and shingle house with out offices and premises thereto attached, situated in Chapman Street to be equally divided as soon as they reach the age of one and twenty years. should either of said reputed children die under age and without lawful issue, in such case l bequeath the whole of my property and state to the survivor of them and their heirs for ever. I desire that my estate as it now stands be kept together by my executors hereafter named for the purpose of maintaining educating supporting my said children till thy shall have come to their respective ages of twenty one years.

Lastly l do hereby nominate my friend Elizabeth Ann Barrow the mother of the said children as executrix and guardian of the persons and estates of my said children and my esteemed friend Henry Knowles Melvin to qualify and act to this my will hereby revoking all ormer and other wills by me.

10 April 1844.

The mark x of Samuel Woodman.

Witnessed John Owens and William Woodman, Barbados.

John Owens appeared personally before me this day one of the subscribing witnesses that he was present an did see Samuel Woodman the testator there set his seal.

Given under my hand at Government House this 16 day of August 1844.

Charles Edward Grey.

Samuel Woodman died in 1844 but I do not have a date or place of birth for him.  In 1803 he married Margaret Scrivens (died 1895) in Barbados and they had the following children:

Sarah Frances born 1809
John Thomas born 1811
Anna born 1813
William born 1815
Robert born 1819

With Elizabeth Barrow/Burrow he had:

Samuel  who died 1913   Suspect the son Samuel to have been Butler at Colleton Estate House St John, and to have had property in Coach Hill which he left to his adopted daughter Maud Holder. (Suspect this to be connected to his brother John Richard Woodman)

and
John Richard

I am unsure when Samuel and Richard were born.  I think his children with Margaret could have predeceased him as he does not mention any of them in  his will but then he does not mention Margaret either so perhaps he left them for his "second family" with Elizabeth.

Anyway, I would really like to find more information about Samuel and the rest of his family if anyone can help.

KayP
ALLEY (Wiltshire); HOLLAND (Lancashire); WEIR (Scotland), SUTHERLAND (Scotland); PROSSER (Brecon); PRYOR (Cornwall); ANTHONY (Cornwall); FRY (Somerset)

Offline chanacy

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Samuel WOODMAN - Barbados
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday 27 December 11 18:07 GMT (UK) »
Hi Kay, I am interested in finding out the link to the coloured children. Samuel and John Richard. My Grandmother Lilian Holder was the daughter of Maud Alberta Woodman of Coach Hill and she married Frederick Holder of St John. Their marriage was witnessed by Samuel Woodman and Reginald Y Downes and I am interested in what you have found out about Samuel Woodman as there could be a link. Would you be willing to share what information you have found.
Dee Puckering (London)

Offline KayP

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Tuesday 03 January 12 23:40 GMT (UK) »
Hi Dee

Not sure if this is a match of not but I am copying a Will I have found for Samuel Woodman (son of Samuel and Elizabeth Ann Barrow/Burrow(s)).  Which gives more clues....

Proved Will 14 July 1916.

The last will and testament in the year of our Lord, 1913. Samuel Woodman, widower and for many years the butler at Colleton Estate House at the parish of St. John. I direct that the remainder of my property be given to my adopted daughter Maud Holder and wife of Frederick Holder, including all my estate both real and personal on Coach Hill, St. John.

Witnesses

Samuel F.H.Thompson, Frederick Holder 29 May 1913.

14 July 1916, Samuel Thompson and Frederick Holder appeared in the Court of Ordinary and swore that Samuel Woodman died in 1913 and they saw him sign the will.

W.K. Chandler, Acting Chief Justice.

I have never been able to find any information on Maud or how she became the adopted daughter of Samuel.  Also in his Will Samuel states that he is a widower but I have not found any wife for him, date of birth or date of marriage.  All I have is his Will.  I do not have much information for Samuel's brother John Richard Woodman other than his marriage to Dorothy Holder in 1865 and it looks like they could have had 8 children.  I do not know if Maud is attached to John Richard or if she is a child of Samuel's.

Samuel and John Richard's father was Samuel Woodman who died in 1844.  I do not know if their mother was Elizabeth Ann Barrow/Burrow(s) or not.  From Samuel Sr Will he states that Samuel and John Richard are not yet 21 years of age so they must have been born after his other family (born between 1803-1819).  Not sure why his other children were not mentioned in the Will.
Please let me know if this is of any help, if we have a connection or any other information you may have.  I look forward to hearing from you.

KayP
Canada

ALLEY (Wiltshire); HOLLAND (Lancashire); WEIR (Scotland), SUTHERLAND (Scotland); PROSSER (Brecon); PRYOR (Cornwall); ANTHONY (Cornwall); FRY (Somerset)

Offline chanacy

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Wednesday 04 January 12 00:36 GMT (UK) »
Hi Kay,

Thanks for sharing what you have, it seems that they are connected and the adopted daughter Maud would be my Great grandmother. I think that I may have hit a stumbling block as she was adopted but perhaps there will be some record of the adoption.

Thanks again for sharing the information you had it has proved to me quite interesting.

Dee

Offline J.J.

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census Crown © www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Monday 09 January 12 00:30 GMT (UK) »
although this was St. James...Could it be Samuel Jr. also had a Samuel b. 1852 with mother of child also Eliza  https://familysearch.org/pal:/MM9.1.1/XLVD-5WY However this does not always mean parents are married, just that he is registered as the father.  His middle name Edmund could turn out to be a clue as to the name of the

Regarding the adopted daughter Maud, although brother John Richard Woodman married a Dorothy Holder, this was a wife of Frederick Holder so not necessarily family, as old Christening tradition as Godparent was to take on a child if parents died...now it just means help them carry on in the faith. He may also have adopted a child belonging to the mother of Samuel, etc....
Wish I could help with the origin of Sam Sr. He may have been a seafaring man....or a Merchant man in the Trade business...There are a few Woodman on neighbouring Islands, John & Elvira St. Thomas, John Woodman & Mary St. Lucy...an earlier birth which is old enough to be his birth era for a John & Margaret St. Lucy https://familysearch.org/pal:/MM9.1.1/XLKF-QXN
This birth with father Simon Cozier had son surname Woodman from mother https://familysearch.org/pal:/MM9.1.1/XLKF-SWR
"We search for information, but the burden of proof is always with the thread owner" J.J.

Canadian  census  transcribed  data  ©2005 www.AutomatedGenealogy.com