Author Topic: Nercwys(Nerquis) Williams's 1802  (Read 14257 times)

Offline Humphpaul

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Nercwys(Nerquis) Williams's 1802
« on: Monday 09 March 09 17:52 GMT (UK) »
My gg.grandad Peter Williams was born in Nercwys P.R.s 10/02/1802 to John and Eliz. his wife. I cannot find their marriage there or in surrounding parishes.
I know there was a John Williams the curate at the time who had come from Northop but I can't find if this was Peter's father. Peter was an ag.lab and gardener in Mold later so I don't think he came from a clerical family. But I could be wrong.
I have seen the local history book about Nercwys but not got any clues from there.
Has anyone any suggestions please. Alan Williams
Paul, Humphrey, Vaughan, Lewis, Williams, Parry, Jones, Fairclough, Howard, Allan, Baylis, Wright, Ritson.
Barmouth, Llangellinin, Liverpool, Maryport Cumberland, Port Glasgow, Nercwys (Nerquis), Mold, Gwysaney, Hope, Doddleston, Higher Kinnerton.

Offline eileendavid

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
Re: Nercwys(Nerquis) Williams's 1802
« Reply #1 on: Wednesday 22 August 12 16:51 BST (UK) »
I have a Ellen/Eleanor Williams  born 1794 in Nercwys daughter of John Williams and Elizabeth.  Ellen/Eleanor married William Maddocks in Chester in 1823.  I have all her details and I think she was the eldest child.  I am going to check a marriage of John Williams and Elizabeth in 1791 in Nercwys.  If you are still interested will keep you posted.  Eileen

Offline Humphpaul

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
Re: Nercwys(Nerquis) Williams's
« Reply #2 on: Thursday 23 August 12 17:40 BST (UK) »
Dear Eileen. Thanks for your message. Yes I am still very interested but have not made any progress with fixing a marriage for John and Elizabeth.

There are years of parish entries missing for Nercwys between 1780 and 1801 and a note was made that many had been deleted by Rev Mason due to mental problems and there is also a note that he was either drunk or out of his mind for a month in 1788.

The new curate in 1801 was John Williams who came from Northop but I cannot find his wifes name and it is unlikely he is my line as his son was a labourer. But he may be yours.

In 1851 Gwernaffield census are a John and Elizabeth Williams aged 75 and 76 who were born around Betws Gwerfilgoch toward Corwen. He was an ag. lab so may be mine.

On 26/01/1793 in Mold a John W married an Elizabeth Griffiths and his signature looks very like that of the JW who became curate in 1801. Well best of luck with your search and I would like to know if you get any results

Regards Alan Williams   
Paul, Humphrey, Vaughan, Lewis, Williams, Parry, Jones, Fairclough, Howard, Allan, Baylis, Wright, Ritson.
Barmouth, Llangellinin, Liverpool, Maryport Cumberland, Port Glasgow, Nercwys (Nerquis), Mold, Gwysaney, Hope, Doddleston, Higher Kinnerton.

Offline eileendavid

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Thursday 23 August 12 18:08 BST (UK) »
Hello Alan,  I don't think that mine of this history was a cleric either, Ellen couldn't write.  Ellen baptised Eleanor in Nercwys 1794 with parents John & Elizabeth, she married William Maddocks in 1823 at St Mary's on the Hill Handbridge Chester.   William Maddocks was also an Ag Lab from Gresford. There are no census records for the Hope/Gresford/Nercwys for 1841 either which doesn't help either. I think John Williams was born in Nercwys 1768 and married in 1791, I also think there are other children, a John and Elizabeth maybe which would slot between Ellen and Peter nicely.  I don't subscribe to Ancestry or Find my past as both are available as Library editions.  I have a few dates I want to check hopefully I will get there tomorrow.   Will keep you posted who knows we might even be on the same branch. I am researching for my partner Dave.  Eileen

Offline despair

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Thursday 23 August 12 19:48 BST (UK) »
There is a record for the curate John Williams BA at:- http://www.theclergydatabase.org.uk/jsp/search/index.jsp
(use appropriate search terms)

This gives his death as 1818,and although the precise dates do not match there is a burial record for Rev John Williams(1745-1818) at Nerquis.Perhaps the date in the clerical record is really the appointment of his successor.

Regards
Roger

Offline despair

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Thursday 23 August 12 20:13 BST (UK) »
There is also a will for a John Williams,clerk,Nercwys 1818 at:-

http://www.rootschat.com/links/0qca/

This,I think gives a death date of 21st August,and the burial record(previous post) is 28th August,
The will also gives his wife as Mary,and two sons as Thomas Venables and Watkin.

Regards
Roger

Offline eileendavid

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Friday 24 August 12 15:18 BST (UK) »
Well after a morning in the local library I have come away with several bits of information.

Eleanor/Ellen Williams baptised Nercwys 05.10.1794 daughter of John & Elizabeth.

I have got a copy of the Parish Register for a John son of John & Ann Williams of this Parish aged 25 to Elizabeth aged 23 daughter of John & Elizabeth Roberts on the 01.12.1794 at Nannerch.  John Williams signed Elizabeth Roberts made her x    witnesses were R Downing and Lydia Owens both signed.(Looks like some handfasting took place as Eleanor was born prior to their marriage)

I think there is possibly at least two more children in between Eleanor possibly a John there are two possibles one in 1795 and one 1799 both in Nercwys also an Elizabeth in 1795 in Nercwys (not checked for parents names yet.) and Peter in 1802.

I have also found a burial of John Williams in Nercwys 17.09.1822 aged 55

This is as far as I have got at the moment 

Eileen

Offline Humphpaul

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Saturday 25 August 12 12:34 BST (UK) »
Dear Eileen, Brilliant, you have certainly made good progress. I have never looked at Nannerch as via Peter there was no connection.

It will be good if all the children can be tied to this John and Elizabeth and we would be distant cousins.

I have the monumental index for Nercwys but cannot find a stone for the 1822 burial but there may not have been one or it has been lost.

One thing cleared up thanks to the will given by "despair" - there is no connection with the curate.

So that question which has been bothering me for years is sorted.

I am on Ancestry and will try to find any of the children you mention in the 1851 census. Let me know if I can look up any other bits to help. Bye for now Alan

Offline Humphpaul

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Saturday 25 August 12 12:54 BST (UK) »
Dear Despair, Many thanks for both your replies. The will totally clears away any chance John was my family. Why didn't I think of a will?   

Thomas Venebles and Watkin are in the Northop register and the original entries have wife as Elizabeth but both have been crossed out and Mary or Mary Ann substituted and there is a note that the wifes name was changed by order of Rev, John Williams of Nerquis.

So that name Mary fits with the will but I wonder where the original Elizabeth came from. Still, that is not my problem now. I can get rid of a lot of old notes etc. Thanks again, all the best. Alan