Author Topic: "You May be a Victim of Software Counterfiting" ??  (Read 3227 times)

Offline KarenM

• Global Moderator
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • My Grandpa Stanley has the hanky in his pocket
    • View Profile
"You May be a Victim of Software Counterfiting" ??
« on: Wednesday 11 March 09 12:15 GMT (UK) »
Hi there,

When I came down to computer this morning, my computer had the black screen on and said "system failure boot", I thought ok, so shut everything off and started it up again.

After shutting it off I now have the following "you may be a victim of software counterfitting"  it also says "this copy of windows did not pass genuine windows validation"

I have had this computer with the same software for at least 4 years, is this some sort of virus, how do I find out if it's real, it says to click here for help, but I havn't, just in case it's a scam?

Any ideas?

Thanks,
Karen
Gandley (but known as Stanley in Canada)- Ireland to Birmingham<br />Ball, Kempson & Franklin - Birmingham<br />Shorter - Surrey<br />Dyer - Devon<br />Dawkins - Co. Cork, Ireland<br />Heffernan - Ireland
Huck - Alsace, France
Reinhart - Baden, Germany
Bowman & Ellis - England
Etheridge - Gloucestershire

Who all came to Canada in a little row boat, clap clap, clap your hands!!

Offline Nick29

• Deceased † Rest In Peace
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: "You May be a Victim of Software Counterfiting" ??
« Reply #1 on: Wednesday 11 March 09 12:52 GMT (UK) »
Close down the computer, and start it in "Safe Mode".  You can do this by repeatedly jabbing the F8 key whilst Windows is starting up.  When in Safe Mode, you can scan the computer for viruses using anti-virus software. 

RIP 1949-10th January 2013

Best Wishes,  Nick.

Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline downside

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Make my day
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Wednesday 11 March 09 15:32 GMT (UK) »
I don't think it is a virus.

If you can't find any other solution then try this:

http://safemode.gidblog.com/2007/04/29/windows-xp-you-may-be-a-victim-of-software-counterfeiting/
Sussex: Floate, West
Kent: Tuffee
Cheshire: Gradwell
Lancashire: Gradwell

UK Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Nick29

• Deceased † Rest In Peace
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Wednesday 11 March 09 16:55 GMT (UK) »
On re-reading the original, it might just be the symptoms of a failing hard drive  :)
RIP 1949-10th January 2013

Best Wishes,  Nick.

Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Wul

« Reply #4 on: Wednesday 11 March 09 18:05 GMT (UK) »
Did you buy the computer from new or second hand?

If it's not new it may be that it is a counterfeit Windows version.

Offline KarenM

• Global Moderator
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • My Grandpa Stanley has the hanky in his pocket
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Wednesday 11 March 09 18:22 GMT (UK) »
Hi everyone,

Thanks for the information!

I did as instructed on the link downside put up and it seems to be gone.

I did phone our office to get a hold of the computer guy who looks after all the computers and told them what was happening and my mother in law says "oh geez I've had that darn thing on my computer for over a year".  The computer guy said nothing he can do to get rid of it and to just carry on  ::) 

So....I think might have to check into this a little bit further, but it seems to be gone from my computer for now.

Karen
Gandley (but known as Stanley in Canada)- Ireland to Birmingham<br />Ball, Kempson & Franklin - Birmingham<br />Shorter - Surrey<br />Dyer - Devon<br />Dawkins - Co. Cork, Ireland<br />Heffernan - Ireland
Huck - Alsace, France
Reinhart - Baden, Germany
Bowman & Ellis - England
Etheridge - Gloucestershire

Who all came to Canada in a little row boat, clap clap, clap your hands!!

Offline Calverley Lad

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Wednesday 11 March 09 20:07 GMT (UK) »
Subject to confirmation - What Microsoft did was to download a program that checked the version of MS Windows was authentic. Originally the person had a limited time to correct (buy a legitimate version) or the program would not start.
This was later modified to allow MS Windows to be used but error message like yours would show.
I think ( hope I'm wrong) that your operating system has been registered by someone else, and requires the purchase of a valid license.
 Regretably yours Brian
Yewdall/Yewdell/Youdall -Yorkshire

Offline nuff

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Friday 20 March 09 14:00 GMT (UK) »
If the computer is yours and you know the window installation on it is legal (In other words if it is a pc bought from new and not one put together by a 'friend' who said it didn't matter about a licence for windows) Microsoft are usually very good at sorting registration problems. There should be a label on the computer case with the microsoft logo and a 'product key'.
If you have these then microsoft will usually help very quickly. I have had to phone them several times for different pc's when I have changed the motherboard and put new drives in. They are after the people who pirate their software, not genuine users who happen to have old equipment that has been upgraded and fallen foul of their component checking system.

Another thing I have known happen is for a repair engineer to solve a problem by reformatting the hard drive and putting a copy of windows back on, but using a serial number they have lying around, instead of the proper one. That number can become "blacklisted" when it turns up on different machines. Or if you have had a hard drive put in that was from another pc and the copy of windows was left on, again the serial number may be registered to another machine.

If your licence is valid just phone microsoft.