Author Topic: WW1 - men born or connected with the Poole/Bournemouth Area  (Read 14068 times)

Offline MortenofPoole

• RootsChat Extra
  • Hello. How are you today?
    • View Profile
Re: WW1 - men born or connected with the Poole/Bournemouth Area
« Reply #18 on: Friday 29 January 10 12:43 GMT (UK) »
Hi Morten,

I think the name on the memorial (H Samways) is almost certainly his, as there is strong anecdotal evidence that he is buried there also, but i have yet to determine this for sure.  If you are up there again, i would appreciate a photo, but otherwise, i can try to send my sister up there.  But where does this leave us?  I assume this means that his MIC is missing.  Can we go anywhere else with this now?  By the way, can you tell me where to look to know more about where and what the Dorsets did in WW1?

As for William, i don't know of a middle name, but let me do some more poking around.

Thanks again for all your assistance.

Hello again Wallace

I will go and see if I can locate Harry's grave next week & get a picture for you. Do you have an address where Harry lived? I don't know if you are living locally but Bmth/ Poole & Dorchester have reference copies of the  Dorsets WW1 campaign. It has been reprinted but costs over £50!!! Also have a look at this site  http://www.keepmilitarymuseum.org/   There is so much info available over the internet now that any search e.g. dorset regiment ww1 will throw up lots of results.
Let me know if any other info. re - Harry or William comes to mind so we can keep looking for their MIC's. Regards. Morten
Any WW1/2 or Boer War servicemen/women born or connected with Poole/Bournemouth Area. I'm compiling a Roll of Honour for men who served from this area.

Also - Information regarding  Green Road/Pound Street  & Waterloo Iron Foundry (Poole).

Coombe Keynes & Tolpuddle (Dorset)

Family names - Loveless (Dorset & London), Keeping (Poole) , Hooper (Poole & Corfe Castle), Furmage (Corfe Castle), Harris (Surrey/ London), Kemp (Cambs.), Pepper ( Cambs.).

Offline MortenofPoole

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Friday 29 January 10 13:03 GMT (UK) »
W.Luffman Pte 5901 of the 1st Dorset Regiment was killed in action 3.12.1914, and appears to have been killed by a sniper or unaimed bullet at night. I know little more about him other than that his name appears on the War Memorial at Poole, and that he was married to a lady from Wales. Luffman is a rare surname but less uncommon in Dorset, so he may have been associated with Poole.What first drew attention to this is that no one seems to know the poor man's first name. This is one thing I would like to establish for certain. From marriage records in Wales I believe it was either Walter or William.

Hello Redroger. I have come across this family. I'm also working on a project about the history of Green Road, Poole and I know that the family lived there for a short time before moving to South Road/Lagland Street. There is a Medal Index Card - 5901 William Luffman, died 13/12/1914, entered theatre of war 12/9/1914 and was entitled to the 1914 Star, Victory & War Medals. The card also states that he was in the  1 Dorsets. The poor soul didn't survive at the front very long did he? I too would like to know more about him. Regards. Morten
Any WW1/2 or Boer War servicemen/women born or connected with Poole/Bournemouth Area. I'm compiling a Roll of Honour for men who served from this area.

Also - Information regarding  Green Road/Pound Street  & Waterloo Iron Foundry (Poole).

Family names - Loveless (Dorset & London), Keeping (Poole) , Hooper (Poole & Corfe Castle), Furmage (Corfe Castle), Harris (Surrey/ London), Kemp (Cambs.), Pepper ( Cambs.).

Offline Redroger

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Dad and Fireman at Kings Cross 13.7.1951
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Friday 29 January 10 13:08 GMT (UK) »
So far I have tried via the 1911 census to find him, on the address given on the CWWG record, but to no avail, part of the problem with his in laws is the usual one with the frequency of Welsh surnames. Thanks for the info on his address in Poole, I am interested as I am reliably informed that all bearers of the Luffman surname are related to a common ancestor.
Ayres Brignell Cornwell Harvey Shipp  Stimpson Stubbings (all Cambs) Baumber Baxter Burton Ethards Proctor Stanton (all Lincs) Luffman (all counties)

Offline MortenofPoole

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: Friday 05 February 10 13:01 GMT (UK) »
Redroger

I had a look through Kelly's directory - 1911 edition has a Charles Luffman at 32, Priory Road, Southbourne. The 1912-13 Edition lists him again at same address & also Alfred Luffman at 9, Windham Road, Bmth. (none in Poole residents section). Regards. Morten

Offline MortenofPoole

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: Friday 05 February 10 13:06 GMT (UK) »
Wallace

I'm afraid that I could not find H. Samway's gravestone at St. Mary's. It appears that the he probably isn't buried there. I also asked in the church office but they couldn't help either. Regards. Morten

Offline Redroger

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Dad and Fireman at Kings Cross 13.7.1951
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: Friday 05 February 10 16:16 GMT (UK) »
Thanks for that Morten, More research required, at least this time it's local!
Ayres Brignell Cornwell Harvey Shipp  Stimpson Stubbings (all Cambs) Baumber Baxter Burton Ethards Proctor Stanton (all Lincs) Luffman (all counties)

Offline cheryle.f

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Good job they all stayed in one place!!!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: Sunday 14 February 10 19:58 GMT (UK) »
    Hi Wallace....I suppose you may have already  have this info already by now but will post anyway....may show on death certificate little snippets of info that could help in some way....

Harry Samways Reg of Death 1916 Age 38  Poole  Dorset  5a 345

Regards Cheryle
mussellwhite, musselwhite,curtis, grey or gray,bundy,moody, lawrence  and now Webb   in wiltshire,hampshire and dorset.
Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.national archives.gov.uk

Offline cheryle.f

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: Sunday 14 February 10 20:17 GMT (UK) »
 Hi again Wallace....Harry being shown as a Foreman Brickmaker in 1911 just as he had been in 1901, so only Morten will know if  he is likely to have been a 'recruiter' in his spare time.....William of course lived to the ripe old age of 75 so there has to be some paperwork somewhere to show for his efforts during WW1 surely :'( hopefully Morten can strike lucky for you!!.... and i would think now that as Harrys death  is registered in Poole he would be buried very close to Creekmoor/Upton/Waterloo area even though he was a Wareham Boy.....he was a married man with 6 children after all so i would imagine his wife Henrietta would have wanted him to be somewhere close by....

Best wishes Cheryle
mussellwhite, musselwhite,curtis, grey or gray,bundy,moody, lawrence  and now Webb   in wiltshire,hampshire and dorset.

Offline cheryle.f

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: Sunday 14 February 10 21:56 GMT (UK) »
Hi All...I was just having a little scout around the Poole Area for the Luffman post and came upon this little gem....

20 Green Road....1901...

James F ??????  Head Married  40   Labourer Sewage Works    Isle of Man
                           Elizabeth ???? Wife       ''         40                                              Sutton Dorset
                           Harry Samways  Son                19                                             Preston
                           Tom       ''            Son                14                                              Poole
                           Annie    ''             Dau               12                                             Poole

Could this possibly be a candidate the elusive H Samways ::)  from the Roll of Honourfor Poole??? Sorry to be adding to the mix...... ;)

regards Cheryle