Author Topic: WW1 - men born or connected with the Poole/Bournemouth Area  (Read 14069 times)

Offline MortenofPoole

• RootsChat Extra
  • Hello. How are you today?
    • View Profile
Re: WW1 - men born or connected with the Poole/Bournemouth Area
« Reply #27 on: Monday 15 February 10 12:53 GMT (UK) »
Yes, that could well be Harry. I'm suffering a bit from information overload. All my records are on paper and when I had another look at the Green Road section, I saw a James KENNON living at 20 Green Road with this family. Thanks for getting in touch.  Regards Morten
Any WW1/2 or Boer War servicemen/women born or connected with Poole/Bournemouth Area. I'm compiling a Roll of Honour for men who served from this area.

Also - Information regarding  Green Road/Pound Street  & Waterloo Iron Foundry (Poole).

Coombe Keynes & Tolpuddle (Dorset)

Family names - Loveless (Dorset & London), Keeping (Poole) , Hooper (Poole & Corfe Castle), Furmage (Corfe Castle), Harris (Surrey/ London), Kemp (Cambs.), Pepper ( Cambs.).

Offline wallace07

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: Monday 27 September 10 17:09 BST (UK) »
Dear Morten and Cheryl,

Apologies - i don't get on Rootschat that often.  Thanks for your further efforts regarding Harry Samways.  As you correctly point out, he was a brickmaker and worked at the brickworks in Oakdale before WW1.  I have obtained his death certificate which indicates, contrary to what my grandmother told me, that he died at home "of Pleurisy with effusion; Syncope;", and not at the old hospital in Weymouth.  Given that he died in December 1916, he likley still died of the effects of wounds recieved.  I recently wondered if his uniform would tell us anything - i have a photo...???

Offline allibaker

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information is Crown Copyright http://www.n
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: Monday 27 September 10 19:00 BST (UK) »
W.Luffman Pte 5901 of the 1st Dorset Regiment was killed in action 3.12.1914, and appears to have been killed by a sniper or unaimed bullet at night. I know little more about him other than that his name appears on the War Memorial at Poole, and that he was married to a lady from Wales. Luffman is a rare surname but less uncommon in Dorset, so he may have been associated with Poole.What first drew attention to this is that no one seems to know the poor man's first name. This is one thing I would like to establish for certain. From marriage records in Wales I believe it was either Walter or William.
william luffman private of the first battalion dorset regiment enlisted at poole dorset born redledge salisbury wiltshire killed in action 3rd dec 1914 france and flanders
regards
alli
Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk.
somerset- quick,baker,stephens,atyeo,rowswell,callow,marks
durham- marshall,fairbairn
worcestershire- stephens,bishop
gloucestershire - stephens
middlesex - chesney

Offline allibaker

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information is Crown Copyright http://www.n
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: Monday 27 September 10 19:24 BST (UK) »
W.Luffman Pte 5901 of the 1st Dorset Regiment was killed in action 3.12.1914, and appears to have been killed by a sniper or unaimed bullet at night. I know little more about him other than that his name appears on the War Memorial at Poole, and that he was married to a lady from Wales. Luffman is a rare surname but less uncommon in Dorset, so he may have been associated with Poole.What first drew attention to this is that no one seems to know the poor man's first name. This is one thing I would like to establish for certain. From marriage records in Wales I believe it was either Walter or William.
apologies if iam repeating something you already know redroger
william luffman married mabel.e davies dec qtr 1911 newportm vol 11a page 484
the cwgc sie says he was son in law of mr a davies
regards
alli
Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk.
somerset- quick,baker,stephens,atyeo,rowswell,callow,marks
durham- marshall,fairbairn
worcestershire- stephens,bishop
gloucestershire - stephens
middlesex - chesney

Offline Redroger

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Dad and Fireman at Kings Cross 13.7.1951
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: Tuesday 28 September 10 17:38 BST (UK) »
Thanks Alli, But he wasn't there in the 1911 census, and neither was she, and I can't find them. Imagine looking for a Davies in South Wales!
Ayres Brignell Cornwell Harvey Shipp  Stimpson Stubbings (all Cambs) Baumber Baxter Burton Ethards Proctor Stanton (all Lincs) Luffman (all counties)

Offline CFP39

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: Tuesday 28 September 10 23:26 BST (UK) »
Ref. Harry Samways.

Was Harry invalided out of the army, do you know?
If so, I believe that he would have been awarded a 'Silver Star'.  This may help you to sort out which one of the 8 is yours.

As he died of pleurisy it is possible that he was 'gassed'.  The damage caused could result in death some years later.

Can you find a record of a burial service?  The fact that you couldn't find a gravestone could be because the family couldn't afford to buy one.  If you find a record of the service the church may have a plan of the graves so that you can identify the plot.

With some home deaths the names were not always recorded by CWGC as war casualties.  This can be changed but you do need to gather as much information as possible before you start.

I can give you a contact, if you want to go ahead, who will be able to help you with the application.  (We had a name on our WW1 war memorial who was one of the 'missing' and he has now been added by CWGC.)

Good luck
Regards
Lee
Watford/Rickmansworth - Payne, Paddick, Gurney, Green, Nichol(l)s
Hindringham/Norfolk - Sands, Southgate
Newbury, Berks. - Pocock, Salter
Sevenoaks area Kent - Nash, Wicking, White
Cranbrook area Kent - Hayward
Ash/Windlesham, Surrey - Chitty/Chittie, Harwood

Offline MortenofPoole

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: Thursday 30 September 10 13:05 BST (UK) »
Dear Morten and Cheryl,

Apologies - i don't get on Rootschat that often.  Thanks for your further efforts regarding Harry Samways.  As you correctly point out, he was a brickmaker and worked at the brickworks in Oakdale before WW1.  I have obtained his death certificate which indicates, contrary to what my grandmother told me, that he died at home "of Pleurisy with effusion; Syncope;", and not at the old hospital in Weymouth.  Given that he died in December 1916, he likley still died of the effects of wounds recieved.  I recently wondered if his uniform would tell us anything - i have a photo...???

Hello Wallace

At least we now know that he died at home and not at Weymouth. It could well be due to being gassed. I would very much like to see the photo if you would like to share it with me? I will let you know if I come across any more info.
 Regards Morten

(*) Moderator Comment: e-mail removed in accordance with RootsChat policy,
to avoid spamming and other abuses.
Please use the Personal Message (PM) system for exchanging personal data.

New members must make at least three postings before being allowed to use the PM facility.
See Help-Page:  http://www.rootschat.com/help/pms.php
Any WW1/2 or Boer War servicemen/women born or connected with Poole/Bournemouth Area. I'm compiling a Roll of Honour for men who served from this area.

Also - Information regarding  Green Road/Pound Street  & Waterloo Iron Foundry (Poole).

Family names - Loveless (Dorset & London), Keeping (Poole) , Hooper (Poole & Corfe Castle), Furmage (Corfe Castle), Harris (Surrey/ London), Kemp (Cambs.), Pepper ( Cambs.).

Offline spiderboy

• RootsChat Senior
  • The Dorset Cross
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: Monday 04 October 10 11:24 BST (UK) »
Hi Morten

I’m not a descendant of the family but I have done some research on Pte. Tom Harold Watmore who is shown on the plaque at St Clements Church and wondered if this would be of interest to you.

John.
I’m Researching:
CON: Chegwyn, Trayer.
DEV: Bickle, Chegwyn, Gaskin, Hill, Metter, Perry.
DOR: Butcher, Herridge, King, Pain, Palmer, Passmore.
GLS: Martin, Nelmes, Woodward, Young.
SOM: Major, Nation, Sims.
L&SWRailway: Damen, Young.
Wife Researching:
DOR: Burt, Gent, Watts.
STS: Bailey.
SAL: Dawes.
SCT: Raith, Smith, Edwardson. Mollison. Wilson. (MLN & SLI)

Offline MortenofPoole

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: Monday 04 October 10 12:58 BST (UK) »
Hi Morten

I’m not a descendant of the family but I have done some research on Pte. Tom Harold Watmore who is shown on the plaque at St Clements Church and wondered if this would be of interest to you.

John.

Hello John

Thanks for your message. I also have come across this man so I would be very interested. Perhaps you can send me a PM and let me know what you have discovered? Have you been researching the names on that plaque specifically?
Many thanks

Morten