Author Topic: Naturalization Records  (Read 796 times)

Offline Pie Shop

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Naturalization Records
« on: Wednesday 16 February 05 18:42 GMT (UK) »
I wish to look up an ancestor's British naturalisation records. The only reference to her having been naturalized is in the 1901 census. Can anyone say if this means she would have been naturalized only between 1891 and 1901 or is this a red herring? i.e. does the fact that it is not mentioned in earlier census returns not necessarily mean it hadn't happened earlier? (please excuse the triple negative).
Thanks.
Peter.

Offline Berlin-Bob

• Caretaker
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Naturalization Records
« Reply #1 on: Wednesday 16 February 05 19:27 GMT (UK) »
Hi Rickards,

Could you clarify this for us please - this sounds like you have this person on both censuses, and in the 1901 census it says "naturalised british subject".  That would be good, because if you look on the "Immigrants" board, there are several different threads on naturalisation on, where the first question is usually: "was this person naturalised or not ?"

What does it say on the 1891 census ?

Have you looked for her naturalisation papers yet ?
http://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk/familyhistory/naturalisation/

You can just enter a name in the site search engine, without knowing the date.  If she is there that will then give a date, which will answer part of your question.

Good luck
Bob
Any UK Census Data included in this post is Crown Copyright (see: www.nationalarchives.gov.uk)

Offline newbie

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Thursday 17 February 05 07:07 GMT (UK) »
Bob,
Thank you for that link, I just tried it,  :'( couldn't find mine, but there was an error message on the catalogue half way through the results list, so I'll try again later, you never know! ;D
Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline newbie

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Thursday 17 February 05 07:10 GMT (UK) »
Peter
I just searched (see above) on Bob's excellent link, the problem is the 100 year rule, records are closed for the last 100 years, so if she was naturalized after 1900 it may not be there. I think thats what happened with the error message I received, nothing after 1899. It does say in the Research Guide to Naturalization (from the link) that you may write in and they will decide whether to release the information to you. Even if she was Naturalized in 1900, the records may not yet be available online?

Offline Pie Shop

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Thursday 17 February 05 11:01 GMT (UK) »
Thanks Bob and Newbie. I've drawn a blank online. In reply to Bob, the 1871, 81 and 91 census returns show place of birth Germany. In 1901 it shows 'Germany, Nat Brit Subject' but I don't know if that necessarily means she was naturalised only until after 1891. Might it have happened before but the census requirements didn't need to state it until 1901? I've no problem visiting the records office but wonder also if not knowing what year range to check will be a problem.
Thanks again.
Peter.

Offline newbie

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Friday 18 February 05 07:33 GMT (UK) »
Peter
Try this link for the information on the census returns and what was asked
http://www.familyrecords.gov.uk/frc/pdfs/census_returns.pdf