Author Topic: Morris of Chester  (Read 4221 times)

Offline tommy-tipper

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Morris of Chester
« on: Saturday 21 March 09 19:38 GMT (UK) »
Hi
I am trying to trace the Morris family of Chester. I am as far back as the marriage of Thomas Morris to Elizabeth Minchull in 1779 but I am unable to find Thomas birth or indeed if I can his parents.
If anyone knows anything about this tree please help.
Cheers Ian

Offline scarisbrick

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Re: Morris of Chester
« Reply #1 on: Wednesday 14 March 12 16:19 GMT (UK) »
i am looking for a robert howland morris who married a sarah taylor robert was born 1863 and sarah was born 1860 so i was wondering by any chance u come cross them
hello chuck how u doing

Offline gillm

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Wednesday 20 June 12 08:49 BST (UK) »
Hi Ian

I too am researching the Morris family from Chester, being a direct descendant. My tree goes back to Thomas Morris (1808-1890) who married Ann Roberts (1811-1878). I have been trying to link to the marriage of Thomas Morris & Elizabeth Minshull but without success. Minshull is a middle name of a number of people on my tree but have been unable to find a baptism for my Thomas -can you help?
Robinson
Nantwich

Offline tommy-tipper

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Wednesday 20 June 12 15:08 BST (UK) »
Hi
This may go on forever as i am sure there are a number of Morris's in Chester middle 1700s but the records haven't been released for most of them.
This is my personal opinion that the records for Thomas the corkcutter are easily available and i think there is a Robert his brother but there is another Robert and Thomas Morris brothers that have not been released. All of Thomas(corkcutter) children are on line but the DOB don't match with the other pair.I know most of my family have agreed it must be the corkcutter that we come from but i don't but it would be the easier way out.nearly all of the records for St Johns before mid 1800s have not been made public.That's my theory anyway.
My line comes from Robert born abt 1779 which doesn't match the corckcutter yet by going through christenings of 1800s its clear there are at least 3 familys with same names.Minchull is a name that crops up with a number of Morris's in fact a Robert marries a Mary Minchull around 1810 if my memory serves me correct.
PS If you cant match the DOB to Thomas the corcutters Thomas which is easily available then your Thomas might be my Robert brother ? Who Knows LOL

Offline scarisbrick

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Wednesday 20 June 12 16:19 BST (UK) »
when was thomas born and who did he married and if he had kids
hello chuck how u doing

Offline tommy-tipper

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Wednesday 20 June 12 17:27 BST (UK) »
Gillm you have got me going thro my records just  when i had given up lol.
I take it your Thomas was the tin plate worker now what has given me the biggest headache is our family think that our Robert married Mary Minshull in 1806 and then Robert married an Elizabeth Goulding in 1810 as a widower, now i have never been able to trace a death of a Mary Morris between 1806-1810.
I am not convinced that any of the Roberts were mine as all i know is our Robert christened a son in Ashbourne in 1818 with Elizabeth his wife on his way back to Chester after serving with rifles at Waterloo.
Now is that your Minshull link.

Offline gillm

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Thursday 21 June 12 10:23 BST (UK) »
Many thanks for all the information. Yes, I descend from Thomas the tinplate worker who married Ann Roberts from Gresford. I will take a look at the Robert & Mary marriage. Robert serving in the rifles at Waterloo is interesting - where did you find this? gillm
Robinson
Nantwich

Offline gillm

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Thursday 21 June 12 10:34 BST (UK) »
Thomas was born in Chester in 1808. He married Ann Roberts from Gresford at St John's in 1832 and had as far as I know 8 children, all baptised but can only find 3 on subsequent census returns - Robert (1836-1874), Mary Ann (1838) and Thomas Minshull(1846). gillm
Robinson
Nantwich

Offline gillm

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Wednesday 29 August 12 16:37 BST (UK) »
Hi Tommy -Tipper. Since my last post I have done more research and believe that my Thomas (1808) is likely to be a half brother to your Robert born in Derbyshire. Can I ask where you got the info from regarding his father Robert returning from Waterloo with the Rifles - is this personal family knowledge or do you have documentary evidence? gillm
Robinson
Nantwich