Author Topic: Chancery Lane 1803 birth Charles SWAINSON  (Read 814 times)

Offline adamhalifax

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Chancery Lane 1803 birth Charles SWAINSON
« on: Thursday 17 February 05 13:10 GMT (UK) »
I'm trying to find a record for the birth of Charles SWAINSON. In the 1851 census he stated he was born Chancery Lane, London around 1803. By 1827 he was living in Yorkshire.

I'm not sure what records I need to look at for central London, would someone please point me in the right direction or have a look for me - I'd love to know who his parents were.

Thanks,
Adam
Smith (Lincs), Crossley, Wadsworth, Jowett, Wilson (Finningley), Kershaw (Manchester), Swainson, Robinson, Holmes (Darley), Robertshaw, Thorp, Elliott, Daveney (Norfolk), Crabtree, Exley (Clayton West).

Offline Biker

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Chancery Lane 1803 birth Charles SWAINSON
« Reply #1 on: Thursday 01 September 05 11:28 BST (UK) »
Hello

I'm doing a bit of 'housekeeping' and noticed this rather old request.  Sorry nobody has been able to help.

Are you still looking for this information or found in the meantime?

Regards
Jonathan
Census information is Crown Copyright http://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline adamhalifax

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Thursday 01 September 05 13:42 BST (UK) »
Hi Jonathan,

I haven't yet been able to find any information on Charles Swainson's birth and have hit a bit of a brick wall with it. Still hoping that someone might have some information though.

Thanks,
Adam
Smith (Lincs), Crossley, Wadsworth, Jowett, Wilson (Finningley), Kershaw (Manchester), Swainson, Robinson, Holmes (Darley), Robertshaw, Thorp, Elliott, Daveney (Norfolk), Crabtree, Exley (Clayton West).

Offline Biker

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Thursday 01 September 05 14:26 BST (UK) »
Hi Adam

Unless someone has him on a baptism index it's going to be tough.  Chancery Lane (if indeed that was his birthplace) is right in the middle of central London as you know and would be surrounded by possible baptism churches at the western part of the City of London as well as Holborn.

I notice that there is a baptism of a Francis James Swainson, parents Joseph and Catherine at St Andrew Holborn in 1805.  I guess this may be a sibling but a big maybe.  It is a possible lead for starting your baptism search at St Andrews Holborn and working outwards (maybe St Sephulchre Holborn or St Dunstan in the West next?) as you go through the films?

Sorry couldn't be more help.

Here is a map with the City churches on, although you may have to look further afield http://www.cityoflondonchurches.com/mappage.htm

Regards
Jonathan
Census information is Crown Copyright http://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk