Author Topic: Mary Pardoe  (Read 12899 times)

Offline itsallen

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Mary Pardoe
« Reply #18 on: Wednesday 30 January 13 20:50 GMT (UK) »
Hello again ciderdrinker...
Sorry if I seemed a bit "sharp" but over 25 years I have seen so many times that Peter Hibbs married Mary Pardoe on 5th November 1790.  Just as many times, nobody can show proof because I know there is none.

Another unproven story: you will see quoted time and again ad infinitum that Peter Hibbs came to Australia as a cabin boy with James Cook on the "Endeavour".  Thousands of dollars (but none of mine - I said "no thanks") have been spent on getting professionals to find proof of that.  There is none.  What started that one was that Peter Hibbs's son (also Peter) was interviewed re his father by a Windsor (NSW) newspaper reporter in 1890. I have a copy of the newspaper clipping.  Peter junior said his father came here with Captain James Cook.  Nothing more, nothing less.  I think it's obvious that he meant Captain Arthur Phillip.

Peter Hibbs was aged six when Cook was rounding up crew for his voyage (1768).  Peter (aged 6) lived on the south coast of England (Dorset).  Cook chose his crew in Yorkshire - at least 300 km away.  A six-year-old running away from home and running at least 300 km in the 1700s (or today!) over roads of dirt and the only transport was horses or horse-drawn - that's a bit much for even me to believe.  Obviously a lot of people do!

Anyway, once again, sorry if I sounded short and sharp - Regards - Allen
Maunder, Mander, Maunders, Manders worldwide - anywhere, anytime

Offline ciderdrinker

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Mary Pardoe
« Reply #19 on: Thursday 31 January 13 12:40 GMT (UK) »
Hi
That's ok Allen
Ciderdrinker