Author Topic: Mary Pardoe  (Read 12892 times)

Offline Cucuboth

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Mary Pardoe
« on: Monday 23 March 09 13:30 GMT (UK) »
Hi,

I don't know if anyone can help (although, I hope, someone can). I have an ancestor named Mary Pardoe. She was tried at the Warwickshire Assizes on the 2nd April 1788, and sentenced to transportation to New South Wales, where she'd later mary Peter Hibbs. Anyway ... I've found 2 possible birth dates and places for Mary. One is in 1772 in Droitwich, Worcestershire. The other is in 1768 in Oldswinford, Worcestershire. Both times her parents are listed as a John Pardoe and Ann.

Just wondering if anyone might have any further information about Mary, especialy on her Pardoe family (Droitwich or Oldswinford?). Or if anyone might know of where to look for more information. Thank You.

Chris.

Offline willow154

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Mum - Such love
    • View Profile
Re: Mary Pardoe
« Reply #1 on: Monday 23 March 09 14:58 GMT (UK) »
Hi Chris,
Welcome to rootschat - I hope you find it both interesting and friendly :)
I've not seen the book mentioned on this site, and wondered if it might contain any information on Mary. Eve if it doesn't, it might tell you where to look.
Hope this helps a little.
Paulene :)
https://wiki.familysearch.org/en/Portal:Worcestershire

Offline linell

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Thursday 26 March 09 08:20 GMT (UK) »
Hi Chris, and Hi Paulene, just wondered where you found the two dates for the baptism of Mary, Chris, as the IGI has 22 Mary Pardoe's baptised between 1760 and 1770 all in and around Old Swinford.  There would have been others baptised at Non Conformist Chapels or not baptised at all.  Are you sure she was a Miss Pardoe, not Married?  What death details can you obtain in NSW?  A lady I was in touch with from NSW was also looking for her Worcestershire Ancestor and found her Death Notice had lots of information.  Do you have the details from Mary's trial?  If I think of anything else will get back to you.  Best Wishes from Linell.
Black Country Stringer, Sidaway, Mansell, Haynes, Westwood, Yardley, Reading, Worton, Willetts.

Offline Cucuboth

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Thursday 26 March 09 15:24 GMT (UK) »
Hi Linell,

Well, first off, I got some of the Mary Pardoe info from a book that was done about 19 years ago by an Allen Maunder. It was made available to the decendants of Peter Hibbs and Mary Pardoe (of which, of course, I am one). It lists Mary's birth as 1772 in Droitwich, Worcestershire. But then it lists 2 possible sets of parents. John Pardoe and Ann. Or Thomas Pardoe and Mary Burton. FamilySearch.com throws up several different possibilites too.

Follwing other people researching the same line on Ancestry.com, some of them have Mary being born in 1768 in Old Swonford (I've since worked out that they mean Old Swinford). This line also crops up on FamilySearch.com

I'm not sure if Mary was married prior to being transported to NSW. She had a child on the voyage to one of the sailors, but then, in 1791, she married Peter Hibbs on Norfolk Island. Mary died in 1844 in NSW. I've been to her grave, but unfortuntly, don't hae a photo of it, but I don't think it had an age at death.

I was hoping that if I could find her trail record, it might, at least, contain her age. If she was born in 1772, that would have made her about 16 at her trial in 1788. If she was born in 1768, then she'd have been about 20 (and I guess then, possibly, maybe married, or widowed? Trail records would show that too I suppose). She was tried in the Warwickshire Assizes, and I'm not sure where to find those records, if they still exsist.

Chris

Offline linell

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Friday 27 March 09 07:44 GMT (UK) »
Hi Chris, not an easy one, could be any Mary Pardoe in hindsight.  I would try Birmingham Archives for the Warwickshire Assizes Court Rolls, at least they will be able to give you some advice.  HTH from  Linell.
Black Country Stringer, Sidaway, Mansell, Haynes, Westwood, Yardley, Reading, Worton, Willetts.

Offline OllieH

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Sunday 19 April 09 18:40 BST (UK) »
Hi Chris

I have a book called Lye & Wollescote.  In the book it mentions the Pardoe's. Would you like to me list the names in the book - I didn't see the name Mary.  If its any help I will be happy to do this for you.

Offline Dillon

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Saturday 11 July 09 12:15 BST (UK) »
Dear Chris
Mary Pardoe is in my family line. I would like to find out for what crime she was sentenced. Did you try the Birmingham Archives for the Warwickshire Assizes Court Rolls as suggested by Linell?
I would like to get hold of a copy of the book "Lady Juliana" to see if she was mentioned in there (apparantly she was sentenced under the wrong surname of Barlow).
L Dillon

Offline IforWales

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Friday 17 September 10 13:26 BST (UK) »
Hello everyone - just registered one moment ago.

Just acquired an 1888 wedding certificate of Thomas Pardoe 'The Dock' Lye to Emily Burns of 'Skelding'? Lane, Lye

Thomas son of John (a nailer) and Emily daughter of Benjamin (a miner).

They subsequently moved to Wales and are my wife's ancestors.

Have to see where this leads me next  :)

Best Wishes all - regards, Ifor

Offline linell

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Saturday 18 September 10 19:01 BST (UK) »
Pardoe is a good old Lye name Ifor.  There's a picture of Skelding Lane in one of the Lye and Wollescote Books, from the 'Britain in Old Photographs' Series.  Happy hunting from Linell.