Author Topic: un-delivered/lost e-mails  (Read 2922 times)

Offline Rabbit B

• Deceased † Rest In Peace
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • 1937 - 2012
    • View Profile
un-delivered/lost e-mails
« on: Tuesday 24 March 09 13:33 GMT (UK) »
hi everyone,

here is a curious phenomenon that i would be very grateful to have an answer to  :-\

a dear friend of mine e-mails me several times daily. now and then, the e-mails fail to arrive.  yesterday two of them went astray, so i phoned my server, they tested everything and said all was well.  this morning one of them was delivered. the other one is still missing.  does anyone know why this happens? and more to the point where do they go  ::)

all her other friends get their mail OK, and in both cases the mails show in the sent boxes. so her server must be OK too

i am using XP professional outlook express with Norton internet security 2008 and she is using Vista with F-secure

there is nothing in either of the spam boxes so that is not where they are

rabbit b  ???
PS please excuse one handed typing  :-[

Conning/London
Wareham/Winchester
Hart/Cambridgeshire
Burns/Byrne/Liverpool and Ireland
Nibbs/London
Brealey/Staffordshire
Melbourn/Melbourne/Cambridgeshire
Hoyle/Liverpool
Relf/Sussex

Offline LizzieW

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • I'm nearer to finding out who you are thanks DNA
    • View Profile
Re: un-delivered/lost e-mails
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday 24 March 09 15:27 GMT (UK) »
I use Windows Vista and Thunderbird and have had a similar thing happen to me.  Three times I have been sent me e-mails where I was one of about a dozen people being sent the e-mails and I've been the only person not to receive them.   As I was expecting the e-mails, I queried when they would be sent out, only to be told they had been.  Twice, the recipient just replied to my e-mail giving me the information I needed and they arrived OK.  In the third case, just to be sure, the person e-mailing, forwarded a copy to my OH who uses Windows XP and Microsoft Outlook with a copy to me.  That arrived OK, and I've since received other e-mails from the same person.

Who knows where these "lost" e-mails end up.

Lizzie

Offline silvery

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • information Crown Copyright, from www.nation
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Tuesday 24 March 09 15:34 GMT (UK) »
Are they being extracted from the ether to be 'censored' or 'stored' in the vast database in the sky?    :o

;D  just joking.  I don't know what happens to them, either.   
"This information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk"

Offline lookingforold

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Tuesday 24 March 09 15:41 GMT (UK) »
Is your Mail Box near to its max capacity?
Snell Brentford cira 1910: Canada cira 1924

Snell; Southampton 1920

Payne: Old Itchen Ferry Village, Woolston, Southampton Cira 1800 to 1930

Price: HMS Collosus & Victory cira 1900

Ernest Cooper; Cornwall, b about 1880 to 1900; Cornwall

This information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk"

Offline carol8353

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Me,mum and dad and both gran's c 1955
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Tuesday 24 March 09 15:41 GMT (UK) »
Surely everyone knows they are spining round in Cyberspace never to be seen again. ;)

My broadband provider is Orange and I always blame them when something goes awry,which it does on a regular basis  8)

Carol
Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Rabbit B

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • 1937 - 2012
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Tuesday 24 March 09 16:19 GMT (UK) »
oh well it is nice to know that i am not alone, so to answer these kind messages.

LizzieW, thanks for your comment, it is interesting to know that it happens to others as well.   ;) this is a recent thing for us though ???

lookingforold, mailboxes cleared regularly, by both parties.
we are both experienced users of computers. thanks for the suggestion though.  ::)

like Carol i blamed my ISPS till they checked it out. thanks for your answer too. :D

silvery, one party has a sky box in the house, i wonder if that is to blame. so your suggestion not such a 'joke'  :)

rabbit b  ;D

Conning/London
Wareham/Winchester
Hart/Cambridgeshire
Nibbs/London
Brealey/Staffordshire
Hoyle/Liverpool
Relf/Sussex

Offline Suttonrog

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Tuesday 24 March 09 16:27 GMT (UK) »
Don't forget that many ISPs have built in spam protection - some of them are more rigorous than others.

Emails can be ditched for contains a wrong word or having no subject line or a whole host of other reasons.

I have one correspondent who's Emails never reach me unless he replies to one of my messages.

I would rather have that than 20 spam messages a day.

Rog

Offline aghadowey

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Tuesday 24 March 09 16:34 GMT (UK) »
My ISP recently 'upgraded' and 'improved' their anti-spam filter. After discovering my sister's email telling me our aunt had died (which included a link to online obituary) had gone missing I check my email account on ISP's site and discovered a few 'mistakes' lodged in Spam folder (all had email addresses quoted in the message).
Away sorting out DNA matches... I may be gone for some time many years!

Offline Rabbit B

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • 1937 - 2012
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Tuesday 24 March 09 16:43 GMT (UK) »
Don't forget that many ISPs have built in spam protection - some of them are more rigorous than others.

Emails can be ditched for contains a wrong word or having no subject line or a whole host of other reasons.

I have one correspondent who's Emails never reach me unless he replies to one of my messages.

I would rather have that than 20 spam messages a day.

Rog

hi Rog,

hence the reason i checked with ISPS last night. it still does not explain why one of the messages came this morning though. when the technician checked last night there was nothing stuck anywhere which was coming to me.

like you i would rather not want any spam, but like you mine gets well filtered out.

rabbit b  ;D

PS thanks aghadowey, i spotted your post as i was posting this. i have no idea how to get into their site.

i would be grateful if you would tell me how to do it, or does this only apply to a webmail type that can be picked up anywhere.
Conning/London
Wareham/Winchester
Hart/Cambridgeshire
Nibbs/London
Brealey/Staffordshire
Hoyle/Liverpool
Relf/Sussex