Author Topic: COMPLETED Cheltenham Parish Records - Banns Lookup  (Read 2762 times)

Offline Dorsetsam

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
COMPLETED Cheltenham Parish Records - Banns Lookup
« on: Tuesday 24 March 09 15:43 GMT (UK) »
Hello!

Would anyone have access to the parish records for St Mary's Parish Church Cheltenham 1849?

I have the marriage cert. (6th March 1849) for Sarah Wood & Benjamin Barnes and it states 'after Banns'.  I am hoping that the information in this record would go into more detail about their parents, place and date of birth etc.,

Many thanks  :)

Offline ChasH

• My email is no longer working sorry
  • RootsChat Aristocrat
  • The fool Monty
    • View Profile
Re: Cheltenham Parish Records - Banns Lookup
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday 24 March 09 17:46 GMT (UK) »
Dorsetsam,

I have searched many Banns records and note that there were at least two pre-printed books having different formats.  The more detailed formatted book also served, in many instances, to record the actual marriage, the parishes from which the couple came, the dates of Banns calling and the date of the marriage.  The status of each of the couple was also recorded of course.  The name of the officiating minister and the signatures (or marks) of the two witnesses completed the record.  In other words, less than a marriage cert. in that the names of the fathers of the bride and groom were not recorded.  In many parishes one often finds the name of one witness time after time!

I have attached a picture of a blank Banns record current in many if not most parishes in the 19th century which can give little useful information except parish locations.  I cannot remember where I saw it but sometimes the minister indicated that the record was supplied for the attention of the minister of the church where the marriage was to take place as is now current or was when I was married in 1960.

Regards

Chas
My email is no longer working sorry
Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
Bevstn:DAVIES:HIGGS:PERROT
Bisly:BROWN:COOK:CURTIS:DAVIS:FRANKLIN:GARDINER:GRIME:JEFFERIES:PEACEY:STEPHENS:WARREN
ChSod:HARDING:HIGGS
Colrne:GOLDEN
G Bad:DAVIES
Horsly:ADAMS:BAYLY:BIRD:COOK:EVANS:GAZARD:HILL:LEWIS:MATTHEWS:PRIDE:SKIRTON:TEAKLE:TURK:WALKLEY:YOUNG
K'St:BISHOP:PINEGAR
Marsh'd:BLAKE
Minch:HILL:MASON:PERRIN
N.Nib:PERROT:SHATFORD:WAYMAN:WOODWARD
N.Wrax:BLAKE

Offline Dorsetsam

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Cheltenham Parish Records - Banns Lookup
« Reply #2 on: Tuesday 24 March 09 19:52 GMT (UK) »

Thanks for clearing that up ChasH - I think I was expecting a bit too much from them!