Author Topic: Rowan High School for Boys & Girls - South London (SW16)  (Read 6016 times)

Offline BoBo

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
Rowan High School for Boys & Girls - South London (SW16)
« on: Thursday 17 February 05 16:35 GMT (UK) »
Hello
Did you attend Rowan High School?  Did any of your relatives attend this school.  It started in 1928 and was called by the locals Tin Rowan as it was a temporary building whilst the existing building was being built.
Rowan was a boys school on the ground floor and a Girls on the first.  I am particularly interested in Mr Thorpe the first headmaster of the boys school as well as Tin Rowan and Miss Edser who was the headmistress of Rowan Girls school.
I started my research about 4 years ago when the school was closing down.  it was only meant to last me a year, as it was just to get information to put on display but it has become a bit of an obsession.  So few photos found and so many wanted!  It also was in existence during so many turbulent times and was really used by everyone in the local community.  Any help gratefully received.
BoBo
UK - Dunn, Lands, Knight, Wickes, Hawkins, Rumbelow, Low & Jolly
Malta - Camilleri, Aguis Delicata, Sciberras & Navarro

Offline Sylviaann

• I am sorry but my email address is no longer working
  • RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Isabella Barette
    • View Profile
Re: Rowan High School for Boys & Girls - South London (SW16)
« Reply #1 on: Thursday 17 February 05 17:18 GMT (UK) »
Have you tried Friends reunited?
Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
Norfolk: Gooch, Loveday, Lake, Betts
Suffolk: Gooch, Crosby, Turner
Hampshire: Laws, Burrows
Kent: Beer
Jersey: Barette, de Gruchy
East London: Middleton, Gower, O'Farrell, Smith, Weston

Offline Delcia

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Tuesday 01 January 19 12:14 GMT (UK) »
Hello my mother Delcia Russell and her siblings went to Rowan school she usedto talk about miss Edser and when I joined in 1966 miss meatyard was there she used to teach my mother in the 30’s
My mother lived at 100 rowan Rd if anyone knew her

Offline Rowanboy

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Tuesday 12 March 19 22:09 GMT (UK) »
Hello, I went to Rowan Secondary School as well but I was in the boys section on the ground floor. If I've read your message correctly then I think your mum was my cousin, and your Nan was my aunt May and your Grandad was my uncle Harry. My mum, Violet, was your nan's sister and we lived at 114 Rowan Road.

Offline Delcia

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Wednesday 13 March 19 08:05 GMT (UK) »
Hello
Is your name Ron?
I remember aunt Vi with much fondness I used to visit her in Rowan Rd when I was a child and then in Mitcham I think was the alms houses.
I had a dog for very short time and then your mum took her in her name was Judy.
You have quite  few family members on face book mainly all your 2nd cousins Fred’s children, Eileen’s children and Reg’s children
I’ve also done the Russell family tree going way back to 18th century
Small world isn’t it

Offline Rowanboy

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Sunday 17 March 19 18:58 GMT (UK) »
Hi, I didn't expect the quick response so sorry for delay in replying.
No, I'm not Ron, I'm his brother, Philip. Sadly Ron passed away with cancer five and a half years ago. Ron was the one that was trying to create the family tree for our side of the family and I'm hoping to finish the job or at least to go back as far as I can. I thought I should start this sooner rather than later before senility takes hold and I lose all the family names that I'm holding in my head. I was very impressed with your work on going back to the 18th century for the Russell family tree and would welcome any hints or tips you might have on where I should start looking.
Ron was also the brainy one out of the two of us and ended up at Mitcham Grammar School whereas I failed my eleven plus and went to Rowan Secondary School.
I didn't realise you'd kept in touch with mum and dad when they moved to Mitcham Garden Village as, by that time, I'd got married and moved to Crawley in West Sussex which is where we still are now. I think Ron had more contact with the Russell side of the family and I know he was still in contact with Fred and Barbara (in Croydon I think) and also Rita and Chris (in Cairns, Australia?).
I'm going on here but still not sure who I'm talking to. I vaguely remember going to your mum and dads house once which I think was near Mitcham Common. Castle Road, or something like that, rings a bell. I thought your mum and dad had two daughters and the names Susan and Jennifer again ring a bell but I expect you'll tell me I'm completely wrong.
I didn't know that our dog, Judy, came from your home originally. She was a really lovely dog and I was very fond of her. She was a very intelligent dog and I managed to teach her quite a few tricks such as fetching the newspaper when it was delivered, fetching my slippers for me, and balancing a chocolate button on her nose and catching it in her mouth. We were fortunate enough to have a recreation ground at the back of our house in Rowan Road and she could have a good run round over there quite regularly.
It would be really nice to get any other information you have on the family if you have the time. Did you include any of aunt Mays side of the family or was it just uncle Harry's side that you traced back.
I remember some of the names that you mentioned but I don't recall the people. I can remember mum mentioning Fred and Barbara, Eileen and Harry (Turner I think), and Sadie and Reg. I also remember of course your mum and dad and also Bob and Con who I do remember going to visit on a few occasions as they had children about my age.
Sorry to waffle on so much but, as I say, it would be nice to hear any other family info that you have.
All the best, Phil.

Offline Longthornton

• RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Saturday 25 July 20 16:22 BST (UK) »
I run the Facebook group called Eastfields and Rowan School Memories. It might be of interest to some members. It also has an album on Rowan Boys. https://www.facebook.com/groups/EastfieldsAndRowanSchoolMemories/