Author Topic: tracing my Grandads brother and sisters  (Read 5389 times)

Offline alexcrawford

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
tracing my Grandads brother and sisters
« on: Wednesday 25 March 09 19:54 GMT (UK) »
Hi,

I'm trying to find some info on my Grandads brother and sisters

Their parenst were Thomas Crawford (1879 Dalguich, Kennoway) and Jemima Duncan (1880 Markinch). They had four children, Alexander (b.1906, my Grandfather), Thomas (Tam), Jean and Bunt(y).

My Grandad married in 1930 at Abdie Hall, Lindores. They had four children.

From what I have been told Jean married Tam Dowie from Leven and had two children.

One son worked at Cameron Farm near Windygates.

I have no info on XX other than she used to live in Cupar.

If anyone can help I would be very grateful. My research into my family tree has shown that Alexander is the predominate name followed by Thomas. This can get very confusing indeed.

Regards,
Alex

Moderator comment: post edited to remove details of living people, in order to protect their privacy and prevent identity theft.  

Offline rainbowbright

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Re: tracing my Grandads brother and sisters
« Reply #1 on: Thursday 26 March 09 06:27 GMT (UK) »
Hi Alex

Welcome to Rootschat!

I noticed the name Bunt(y) on your post.  I was searching for a Bunty recently as I thought this was a 'pet' name.  One rootschatter had an Aunt Margaret known as Bunty and I think mine was actually Janet.

Hope this helps   :)

Rainbow
Dunn  Sunderland/Glasgow
Thomson  Glasgow
McDonald  Glasgow
Keiran  Glasgow
Crow  Sunderland/Hartlepool
Madden  Glasgow/Ireland
Sweeney Glasgow/Ireland
Jeffrey
Jefferson
Tod  Fife/Glasgow

Offline Chiad Fhear

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Aye mair questions than answers!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Thursday 26 March 09 10:48 GMT (UK) »
Hi Alex

Here's a useful link for keeping up with 'pet' names:

www.whatsinaname.net

Regards

Chiad Fhear ... also a Crawford but not connected to yours!  ::)
Aye mair questions than answers in a world where the past was a different place - that cannae be revisited!

Family surnames being researched ...
Crawford, Neilson, Lindsay, Reekie, Davidson
Drummond, Laing, Pearson, Tulloch ... will do for starters but there's a whole lot more!

Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline alexcrawford

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Thursday 26 March 09 18:41 GMT (UK) »
Hi,

Thanks for your replies. On Scotlands People I found 2 matches for a Bunt Crawford born between 1900 and 1915. I'll have to buy some credits at the weekend.

Regards,

Alex

Offline Chiad Fhear

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Thursday 26 March 09 19:20 GMT (UK) »
Hi again Alex

You've got a tough mission ahead of you trying to separate the Crawford clan!

I've narrowed down your two SP search results to 1 in 1909 in Greenock, Renfrewshire and the other in 1915 in Old Kilpatrick, Dunbartonshire.  I don't know if either of these 'fits the bill' so to speak.

I've got my Crawford line back to about 1786 in Sherdrim, Glassary, Argyllshire where it seems as if every Donald Crawford married a Mary Campbell.

Are you aware of the Clan Crawford Association?
  http://www.clancrawford.org/

There's to be a Clan tent at The Gathering in Edinburgh this year as part of the Homecoming.

Good luck with your searches.

Regards

Chiad Fhear
Aye mair questions than answers in a world where the past was a different place - that cannae be revisited!

Drummond, Laing, Pearson, Tulloch ... will do for starters but there's a whole lot more!

Offline alexcrawford

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Sunday 29 March 09 09:58 BST (UK) »
Hi,

I've tracked my Crawford line back to 1755. The main congregation seems to be in Kinglassie/Markinch with the occasional trip to Dysart for new blood.

A slight deviation from the normal names of Alexander and Thomas is Brodie, which goes back three generations (1783, 1829 and 1867). The first Brodies parents were John Crawford (1755) and Margaret Baxter (1757). This is as far back as I have got at the moment.

I have the main branches and now just need to add the leaves.

Alex

Offline Chiad Fhear

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Sunday 29 March 09 10:19 BST (UK) »
Hi Alex

Thanks for that but I'm fairly certain that 'my' Crawford line has no Fife connections apart from my Dad marrying a Fifer and then my brother and me ;D

Out of interest, how did you get on with your "2 matches for a Bunt Crawford born between 1900 and 1915" that I replied to?

Cheers

Chiad Fhear

Offline alexcrawford

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Monday 06 April 09 10:15 BST (UK) »
Hi,

Sorry for the delay in replying but I've been rather busy going through the final stages of my latest book.

I haven't been able to find out about Bunt yet. I've traced one branch of the tree back 10 generations but drew a blank with some of the more recent (early 1900's) relatives.

My major stumbling block is my Grannies line. I can trace back to her parents and granparents but can't find anything on their respective brothers/sisters.

Is there an easy way to search for brothers/sisters or do we have to rely on Census info?

Alex

Offline kenhaddington

• RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Wednesday 26 June 19 23:45 BST (UK) »
Hi,

I'm trying to find some info on my Grandads brother and sisters

Their parenst were Thomas Crawford (1879 Dalguich, Kennoway) and Jemima Duncan (1880 Markinch). They had four children, Alexander (b.1906, my Grandfather), Thomas (Tam), Jean and Bunt(y).

My Grandad married in 1930 at Abdie Hall, Lindores. They had four children.

From what I have been told Jean married Tam Dowie from Leven and had two children.

One son worked at Cameron Farm near Windygates.

I have no info on XX other than she used to live in Cupar.

If anyone can help I would be very grateful. My research into my family tree has shown that Alexander is the predominate name followed by Thomas. This can get very confusing indeed.

Regards,
Alex

Moderator comment: post edited to remove details of living people, in order to protect their privacy and preventn identity theft.

Hi Alex,
I've just started on RootsChat and a search brought up your post.  You posted 10 years ago so you may not still be active but, just in case...
I can't shed any light on Thomas Crawford's children, but I can tell you that Thomas' parents were Alexander Crawford (b 1854, Thornton near Markinch) and Jane or Janet Crawford nee Hardie (b 1855).  Janet's mother was Jean Hardie nee Fergus and her father was my great great grandfather, James Fergus (b 1799).  That makes us (I think) third cousins twice removed!
Best regards,
Ken