Author Topic: APPLEBY My brick wall  (Read 1357 times)

Offline Noreen Rose

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
APPLEBY My brick wall
« on: Saturday 28 March 09 11:17 GMT (UK) »
Mary APPLEBY married William KITCHEN 1st March 1845 her father was Samuel APPLEBY, Farmer she was 19, according to this certificate.  At Myton on Swale. Both signed with a cross.

I have been unable to find her birth anywhere but have recently discovered: 

Mary Ann APPLEBY Chr 22 June 1823 to Samuel APPLEBY and Jane HOPKINSON, St Peter Leeds.   I think Samuel died in 1835 according to the National Burial Index.  A Jane died Leeds in 1853 Free BMD. 

My KITCHEN family does have a son named Benjamin.  Samuel’s father was Benjamin!

Is there a Mary APPLEBY anywhere on the 1841 census that might fit please? 

Do you think this might be the right Mary APPLEBY she has no idea where she was born but on one census it was WHITLEY which seem quite close to WORTLEY where this family seems to be from?

Noreen Rose
Nee KITCHEN

York
Noreen
York uk

Offline hol

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
Re: APPLEBY My brick wall
« Reply #1 on: Saturday 28 March 09 19:02 GMT (UK) »
hello
had a look and saw that on 1851 census is mistranscribed kitching. she states place of birth as green hammerton. on 1861 mistranscribed as ritchen born whitley.
looking at green hammerton there is a town next door which is called whixley so she must be from that area which is near york.
on the igi there is a mary appleby christened 24/9/1826 at great ouseburn mother elizabeth.
great ouseburn is also next door to green hammerton so that could be the mary you are after.
worth looking into and maybe see if anyone on here has records for that parish to find any siblings or the marriage of elizabeth to an appleby around that time.
hope this helps
lee
This information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk"

Atack,Earnshaw,Holroyd.Holroyde, Craven.Rangeley,Gledhill.Sheffield.Brearley,Walker West Yorkshire
Crowther,Hopley,Lane,Riding.   Horwich- Lancashire.

Offline Noreen Rose

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Sunday 29 March 09 15:20 BST (UK) »
Thank you Lee for your help and advice.  Perhaps a diferent view point might help me.

I have found the same information as you have, and I am no further forward as to who my “Mary APPLEBY” is or where she came from.  I think the Mary Ann I found in Leeds married someone called CHARLTON.  I have been looking for her parents for many years.  I have the 1841 Census for the West Riding and found 2 Mary APPLEBYs one in Scarborough near to a Samuel APPLEBY- I can’t remember where the 2nd one was now! 

I have the Microfiche for 1851 Census for the Area she was born in Elizabeth  APPLEBY Bn Branton Green 50 probably Mary APPLEBY’s mother, with a Jane aged 8 born Little Ouseburn.

George Whiteheads Journal of Victorian Ouseburn has a few APPLEBYS but they are not mine!!  I researched them.

Noreen
York

“This information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk"

Noreen
York uk

Offline hol

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Sunday 29 March 09 20:59 BST (UK) »
hello
we are definately looking for a mary born at green hammerton/whixley area then according to census.
found one last night as a servant but have forgot where at moment as it was a bit late and saturday night.
will keep looking
lee
This information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk"

Atack,Earnshaw,Holroyd.Holroyde, Craven.Rangeley,Gledhill.Sheffield.Brearley,Walker West Yorkshire
Crowther,Hopley,Lane,Riding.   Horwich- Lancashire.

Offline katherinem

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Monday 13 April 09 11:25 BST (UK) »
Hi Noreen,

Who were the witnesses on Mary Appleby's and William Kitchen's marriage cert?

May possibly provide a clue!

Kath
Bladen (Tipton, & Yorks), Teece, Cooke(Coalville), Stott (Staffs), Carr, Armitage, Henrickson, Lisle (Yorks), Pailing, Stott, Leach, Davies (Llanasa), Taylor, McDonald, Garry, Brackenbury, Brand, Rewston
Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Noreen Rose

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Monday 13 April 09 13:22 BST (UK) »
At Myton on Swale 1 March 1845
William KITCHEN aged 23 married Mary APPLEBY aged 19.  His father was Edward KITCHEN Carrier and hers was Samuel APPLEBY Farmer.   Charles WETHERILL and Mary ROBERTS were Witnesses.

They went on to have the following children Edward, 1846 Thomas 1847, Charles 1849, George 1850, Ann 1854, Benjamin 1855, Elizabeth 1860, Mary 1863, Emma 1865, Anthony 1871 bn Myton. 

My paternal grandfather -  Anthony KITCHEN married Emma STYAN bn Whixley in Enfield in 1892 and had my father Charles KITCHEN, 2 January 1902 in Gateshead.

Noreen
Noreen
York uk