Author Topic: Hopkins - Tuam, Co Galway  (Read 9535 times)

Offline Ancestrykim

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Hopkins - Tuam, Co Galway
« on: Sunday 29 March 09 16:27 BST (UK) »
I was wondering whether anybody might be able to help with information on the Hopkins family?  Pat (Patrick?) Hopkins, a butcher or cattle dealer married my g.aunt Charlotte from Ravensdale, Co. Louth around the 1900s.  I don't know if they were married in Galway or Louth but Pat was Catholic and Charlotte Protestant!  They had a son, John Joe.  Not much to go on I'm afraid but I know there are some brilliant sleuths out there!!!!
Many thanks in advance,
Kim

Offline Notinpastyet

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
Re: Hopkins - Tuam, Co Galway
« Reply #1 on: Monday 30 March 09 09:19 BST (UK) »
Hello Kim,a few snippets of info for you to play with!!!! To fit in with your time scale the Irish family history foundation site have 5 Patrick Hopkins born 1864--father is John ---Patrick born 1865---Patrick born1871 father is Thomas-----Patrick born 1883 & 1889 father to both of these is John. In Griffith's Valuation there are 7 Hopkins listed for Tuam.Thom's Directory for Tuam 1931 has two Victuallers listed as P.Hopkins Bishop ST-----Thomas Hopkins Foster Place. + you could always try the local history group some one there should know something of the Hopkins family www.oldtuamsociety.com  ----- Good luck regards Nipy

Offline Ancestrykim

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Monday 30 March 09 12:28 BST (UK) »
Thanks very much for your help and reply.  I know that Pat Hopkins married in 1900 so the Pat Hopkins you list as being born in 1871 and even the 1883 could come into the time frame.  Particularly as the 1883 Pat had a father called John.  Perhaps his first born son was named for his father?  I'll try the local history group next.  Thanks again,
kind regards,
Kim

Offline Notinpastyet

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Monday 30 March 09 13:41 BST (UK) »
Yes Kim if Patrick was a first born  son it is very likely  he was called John after his father.Also thinking about Patricks own life as a butcher/cattle dealer things would have been a worry for him at that time as TB was a true scare in that area in the early 1900's. Regards Nipy

Offline Ancestrykim

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Monday 30 March 09 17:33 BST (UK) »
Thanks for the additional information!!

Regards,
Kim

Offline hoppy93

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Saturday 23 October 10 00:33 BST (UK) »
My father was called thomas hopkins born 1929 in tuam son of thomas hopkins. i think my dad had an uncle called patrick who was a cattle farmer and butcher he had a son called johnjoe,john joe married a woman called margaret better known as peggy she came from mayo.john joe had a butchers shop on circular road tuam thayhad 4 children named sylvestor patricia josephine and desmond
they all lived in bishop street i think sylvestor joined the christian brothers and my naunt thinks he might of left and settled around cork josephine was a nurse and we think josephine and desmond went to england patricia became a nun she worked in the presentation convent tuam later on not sure when she went back to her home in bishop street we think she is deceased now john joe died approx 1980s my family is the only hopkins family that live in tuam today hope ive been of some help i will look for future posts u may make concerning this edward

Offline aghadowey

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Saturday 23 October 10 00:36 BST (UK) »
Welcome to Rootschat but we aren't allowed to post details of living, or possibly living, people here. Recent family details, email addresses, etc. can be sent by PM (personal message) once you and the person you wish to contact have 3 posts.
Away sorting out DNA matches... I may be gone for some time many years!

Offline Notinpastyet

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Saturday 23 October 10 07:27 BST (UK) »
Patrick ,Charlott & Johnjoe in the 1911 census ,living in Bishop St  , regards Nipy

Offline Ancestrykim

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Saturday 23 October 10 08:39 BST (UK) »
Wow Edward!!!!  Many thanks for your post!  I've hit the jackpot!  It has to be one and the same family.  Coincidentally I've been in touch with Josephine, who as you say, is living in England, I got her address from an old census on-line and it fit in with what another family member had told me.  The census information, relatively recent, had that Patricia was also living at the same address as Josephine but when I made contact, Josephine didn't mention Patricia so my guess is she died.  In fact Josephine has absolutely no real information to pass on to me.  She didn't mention any siblings, she thought her grandmother Charlotte (my grandfather's sister) came from N Ireland (not!!).  She confirmed that Johnjoe had died in 1981 and Charlotte in the 1940s.  Reading between the lines, from what I've heard from my father, it was quite a scandal in the family that Charlotte had gone off and married this Catholic lad from Co. Galway, I think she and the family had very little further contact.  If you can think of any other information regarding this line of the Hopkins family I would be fascinated to hear it, why did they go to England for example?  I might just wing off another letter to cousin Josephine and ask some more questions.  Thanks for you help anyway, I was so excited to see the email in my in box this morning!!!!!!!