Author Topic: Board School in Ruabon c1901?  (Read 1640 times)

Offline hiraeth

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Board School in Ruabon c1901?
« on: Monday 30 March 09 23:44 BST (UK) »
Hi all

In 1901 census of Ruabon have found an Elizabeth Taylor, age 30, born Ruabon.  She is living with her family at Rhosymadoc Farm and lists her occupation as "Governess Board School"   Could this be referring to a Boarding School or a regular school and if so any ideas of where it might have been?

Heather
Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline trish1120

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Happy me
    • View Profile
Re: Board School in Ruabon c1901?
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday 31 March 09 09:37 BST (UK) »
Hi Heather,

This may be of help to you :-\

http://www.bbc.co.uk/wales/northeast/sites/wrexham/pages/victorian1.shtml

Second to last paragraph mentions board schools.

Trish
All Census Look Ups Are Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Cummins, Miskelly(IRELAND + NZ) ,Leggett (SFK + NFK ENGLAND + NZ),Purdy ( NBL ENGLAND + NZ ), Shaw YKS, LANCs + NZ), Holdsworth(LINCS +LANCS + NZ), Moloney, Dean, Fitzpatrick, ( County Down,IRE) Newby(NBL.ENG, Costello(IRE), Ivers, Murray(IRE),Reay(NBL.ENG) Reid (BERW.SCOTLAND)

Offline Gadget

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Tuesday 31 March 09 10:34 BST (UK) »
Hi Heather

As well as the site that Trish mentions, I have a book on Ruabon Schools in the 19th century. It's in Newcastle but if you can hold on until Friday/weekend, i'll have a look then.

Regards

Gadget
Census &  BMD information Crown Copyright www.nationalarchives.gov.uk and GROS - www.scotlandspeople.gov.uk

***Restorers - Please do not use my restores without my permission. Thanks***

Offline hiraeth

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Tuesday 31 March 09 16:27 BST (UK) »
Trish - thank you for the link.    Very Interesting read.  Since the board shcool covered up to age 13 or so perhaps a Governess acted as a sort of Nanny rather than a Teacher.  or Perhaps the word Governess was just used to describe being a teacher.

Gadget -  I can wait :)    I need to chat with you anyway.  Have found more Roberts/Parrys/Taylors with links to Weston Rhyn, Chirk, Llangwm etc.    ;)

Heather

Offline trish1120

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Happy me
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Tuesday 31 March 09 16:55 BST (UK) »

Good luck with it all Heather :)

cheers,
Trish
All Census Look Ups Are Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Cummins, Miskelly(IRELAND + NZ) ,Leggett (SFK + NFK ENGLAND + NZ),Purdy ( NBL ENGLAND + NZ ), Shaw YKS, LANCs + NZ), Holdsworth(LINCS +LANCS + NZ), Moloney, Dean, Fitzpatrick, ( County Down,IRE) Newby(NBL.ENG, Costello(IRE), Ivers, Murray(IRE),Reay(NBL.ENG) Reid (BERW.SCOTLAND)

Offline Gadget

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Tuesday 31 March 09 17:16 BST (UK) »
Hi Heather  :)

Your're Roberts and Parry's are getting very close to mine  :o  Let me know what you need and I'll help if I can re Weston Rhyn and Chirk - not sure I've got much on Llangwm though.

I'll be in touch about the Ruabon schools at the weekend - can you PM me to remind me on Fri/Sat.

Gadget
Census &  BMD information Crown Copyright www.nationalarchives.gov.uk and GROS - www.scotlandspeople.gov.uk

Offline Llwyd

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Searching,forever searching!!!.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Wednesday 01 April 09 19:36 BST (UK) »
Hi Heather,

"Board Schools" aren't boarding schools. They were schools which were set up in the late 1800's and were eligible for government and local council grants. They were run by a school board, hence the name.

May be worth you having a look at  ...............

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ruabon

Unfortunately there is no mention of a "Board School".

Good luck.
 :)
Humphreys; originating in Montgomeryshire and spreading out locally, nationally and internationally.
"Yma o hyd".

Offline Gadget

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Thursday 02 April 09 20:59 BST (UK) »
Hi Heather  :)

My book has a fair bit of detail on the various Boards that were set up for the management of the Board Schools in the Ruabon area.

Following the School Board Act of 1870, the first Ruabon School Board was elected on March 6th  1871 and I quote:

THE ELEVENTH AND LAST BOARD
By 1901 the Ruabon School Board had been increased to 9 members ............That of 1901 was the last School Board election for, in the following year, the revolutionary Education Act of 1902 was passed, with JUne 1 1904 as its 'appointed day' . On that date all School Boards ceased to be, and their work was taken over by the Local Education Authority... The old Boards did a good days work and contributed much to alter the face, if not the heart, of society. They brought education to the door of every citizen and placed their schools at the service and under the control of the people. They were the means of securing suitable buildings in towns and villages, and of seeing that helathy children at least, received a serviceable eduction.

From E K Jones 1934  The Story of Education in a Welsh Border Parish, page 97

There is no mention of Elizabeth Taylor amongst the head teachers or in the summary of the Log Books or in the discussion of the Pupil Teacher training scheme.

If it's any help, I recall  our headmistress in junior school was always referred to as 'Governess'

Regards

Gadget

Offline hiraeth

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Friday 03 April 09 19:20 BST (UK) »
Hi all

For some reason am not getting notification on this thread.

Llwyd - thanks for the interesting link

Gadget - Where would we be without your extensive bookshelf and knowledge? ;).  I'll send you a pm with more info on my newly discovered Roberts and Parrys.

Heather