Author Topic: rathdrum work house or hospital 1925- completed  (Read 17441 times)

Offline gina45

• RootsChat Member
  • Catherine Leahy and Francis Meates
    • View Profile
rathdrum work house or hospital 1925- completed
« on: Wednesday 01 April 09 19:48 BST (UK) »
was there a hospital in rathdrum in 1925 or a workhouse.. and where would you get records for either for 1925.. records of inmates and deaths.. can anyone help me
brennan o reilly leahy regan moore howlin meates/mates penston, toole, crowley adams

Offline shanew147

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Dublin, Ireland
    • View Profile
Re: rathdrum work house or hospital 1925
« Reply #1 on: Wednesday 01 April 09 19:54 BST (UK) »
Slater's directory of 1894 mentions that Rathdrum has a workhouse and lists the following :

Richard R. Leeper  F.R.C.S.I. surgeon & surgeon to the Workhouse infirmary

Shane
Remember to check the Resource boards :  Ireland, Dublin, Antrim & Cork (and stickies at the top of other county sub-forums)    
My Surname Interests

Offline aghadowey

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Wednesday 01 April 09 20:36 BST (UK) »
Here's a nice bit of information about Rathdrum Workhouse (scroll down left side for Rathdrum):
http://users.ox.ac.uk/~peter/workhouse/index.htm

Many hospitals were formed from the workhouses in Ireland.
Away sorting out DNA matches... I may be gone for some time many years!

Offline gina45

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Thursday 02 April 09 10:40 BST (UK) »
thanks for that information .. does anyone know what it was in 1925 a workhouse a hospital or a mental home.. where would i find out records and stuff
my uncle died there in 1925 which has really shocked us as a different story was told to my father... any suggestions.. the child was only 24 days old when he died and his name was john joseph brennan...
brennan o reilly leahy regan moore howlin meates/mates penston, toole, crowley adams

Offline aghadowey

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Thursday 02 April 09 11:04 BST (UK) »
I suspect that the death certificate will give you more information (cause of death as well as name of the place at that time).

Offline gina45

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Thursday 02 April 09 11:13 BST (UK) »
i have the death certificate but its difficult to read whether it says rathdrum home or rathdrum hospital.. but i know the place was a mental home at some time and a workhouse and now present day a old folks home and hospital... and the death cert does say what the child died from..

Offline aghadowey

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Thursday 02 April 09 11:25 BST (UK) »
Can you post just the bit that gives place of birth? it's probably hospital but can't be 100 % sure without seeing it.

Rathdrum started out as a workhouse (opened 1841) and like most of them devolved into a hospital where people went when they were extremely ill.

Would suggest comtacting Wicklow County Library in Bray to see if they can help:
www.library.ie/weblog/public-libraries/wicklow-county-library

Offline shanew147

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Dublin, Ireland
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Thursday 02 April 09 11:48 BST (UK) »
looking at the maps I dont think that the Current hospital (St. Colman's) is in the the same location as the older Workhouse/Infirmary

Shane
Remember to check the Resource boards :  Ireland, Dublin, Antrim & Cork (and stickies at the top of other county sub-forums)    
My Surname Interests

Offline shanew147

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Dublin, Ireland
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Thursday 02 April 09 11:58 BST (UK) »
from a search of Irish Statutes in 1923 - refers to Institutions to be Provided by Board of Health in Co. Wicklow.

extract : '...(a) A County Home at Rathdrum for aged and infirm persons, chronic invalids, and expectant mothers...'

link to full Act : http://www.rootschat.com/links/05zb/

Assuming this act was was carried then it may account for mention of the word 'Home' as the location on the cert.

Shane
My Surname Interests