Author Topic: Merioneth Marriage Index 1754-1837  (Read 1175 times)

Offline Peterej

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
Merioneth Marriage Index 1754-1837
« on: Friday 18 February 05 12:08 GMT (UK) »
I wonder if 'Dolgellau' would mind having a look for a marriage circa 1811 in Blaenau Ffestiniog ( I hope) between Griffith Williams and Elinor (various spellings and possibly with the surname Roberts)

Diolch/thanks

peterej
Jones, Edwards, Davies, Owen, Benjamin , Hughes , Roberts,Thomas,Williams, Wynne , Griffiths, Howells, Rowlands etc etc
plus
Thomas,Trewren,Holmes,Thirlwall,Jones again & again
& more

"This information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk"

Offline Dolgellau

• -
  • RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
Re: Merioneth Marriage Index 1754-1837
« Reply #1 on: Friday 18 February 05 16:57 GMT (UK) »
I have had a look at the marriage index for Ffestiniog and the indices for the surrounding Merioneth parishes, but could see no sign of a Griffith Williams marriage in any of them circa 1811.

The difficulty with searching for ancestors from Blaenau Ffestiniog is that it grew up from being a place of just a few farms to a town of over 11,000 souls in a very short period so the vast majority of people who lived and worked there had moved in from other areas. (In 1801 the population of the whole parish was just 732, most of whom lived in the village of Llan Ffestiniog - in 1881 the population was 11,274 most of whom were in Blaenau).

Is there anything in your knowledge of Griffith and Elinor that might suggest where they were born. Were they still around at the time of the 1851 Census? If so this might give a birthplace. Even 1841 should tell us if they were born in the county of Merioneth or not which will help decide the value of going through the marriage indices for the whole of the county.

Offline Peterej

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
Re: Merioneth Marriage Index 1754-1837
« Reply #2 on: Friday 18 February 05 17:31 GMT (UK) »
thanks for your prompt reply.
Griffith Williams was actually born in Dolwyddelan and his occupation given in the 1841 census was quarryman. They were living at 'Treffynnon' in Festiniog in that census. I have not traced them yet in subsequent censuses. I have only looked so far in Dolwyddelan.  Their son Robert who is my mother's ggfather was born circa 1812 supposedly in Dolwyddelan. Griffith actually died in 1873 aged 87 at Pen Rhiw, Dolwyddelan but Ellen as she is given died 1st February 1863 at Trerddol, Festiniog. It seems that they moved between the 2 towns so it is possible that they were married in Dolwyddelan but I could not find the marriage when I went to Caernarfon archives. I do not know where Eleanor was born which might have given a clue to the marriage. They both appear to have been born in Merioneth.
I am actually visiting Dolgellau next weekend to stay with friends in Pencefn Road (top of the hill above the Archives) and if you are in Rotary I may be helping at the Race night on the Friday night!! Look for a tall stranger. I am booked in to do some research and anything you find in advance will be greatfully received.

Peterej
Jones, Edwards, Davies, Owen, Benjamin , Hughes , Roberts,Thomas,Williams, Wynne , Griffiths, Howells, Rowlands etc etc
plus
Thomas,Trewren,Holmes,Thirlwall,Jones again & again
& more

"This information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk"