Author Topic: LIVERPOOL COWKEEPERS  (Read 83757 times)

Offline stanmapstone

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: LIVERPOOL COWKEEPERS
« Reply #126 on: Wednesday 05 February 20 13:38 GMT (UK) »
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline lorraineosborne

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #127 on: Wednesday 05 February 20 19:35 GMT (UK) »
Thank you Stan - I have just been checking the  marriage certificate and yes the address was Vine Street.  Would St Philips Church be close to there or maybe that was the bride's parish.

The marriage certificate was in 1847 for James Challinor (an engine driver) and Emma Johnson. His father was the Cowkeeper Thomas Challinor,  and her father was John Johnson, a carter (dec). I have tried to find these families on the 1841 census without any luck.
Any help would be appreciated.

I will do some research on Cow keepers - it is becoming a very interesting topic.

Loz57

Offline lorraineosborne

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #128 on: Wednesday 05 February 20 19:38 GMT (UK) »
I have just checked the certificate again and Emma Johnson gave her address as Clarence Street, Liverpool.
Loz57

Offline lorraineosborne

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #129 on: Wednesday 05 February 20 19:45 GMT (UK) »
Hello Lesley
Thanks for your information. It seems there is a Vine Street. I have only been to the Archives in Liverpool so don't know anything about the location of streets, etc.

Loz57

Offline lesleyhannah

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #130 on: Wednesday 05 February 20 20:49 GMT (UK) »
Hi - I don't remember Vine Street, but from the directions the others on here give, it seems like it's near the city centre in the south end. You may remember the recent BBC television programme about the history of a house  - well that was in Falkner Street (near the university). If you manage to see that programme it might give you some idea of the area.
Regards
Lesley

Offline lorraineosborne

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #131 on: Wednesday 05 February 20 20:54 GMT (UK) »
Hi Hannah - thanks - yes I did see the programme and thought at the time it could have been somewhere near.
Have you any idea where Clarence Street is and where St Philips Church is?

Lo57

Offline stanmapstone

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #132 on: Wednesday 05 February 20 21:43 GMT (UK) »
Clarence Street is still there https://maps.nls.uk/geo/explore/side-by-side/#zoom=17&lat=53.4048&lon=-2.9726&layers=168&right=BingHyb
Google Street View https://goo.gl/maps/Lvrtv551MZi7yjSm9

There is a photo of Vine Street at https://senatehouseoccupation.wordpress.com/40-years-on/40-years-on-photos-of-key-locations-in-2010/
Scroll down to
"Vine Street looking south today.  New flats have replaced the terraced houseswhich Princess Alexandra visited in May1969 (below)."
Stan
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline lorraineosborne

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #133 on: Thursday 06 February 20 09:59 GMT (UK) »
Thank you so much - I have tried to find information about these families and then given it a break - so now I ma enthused to have another go!

Loz57

Offline ThrelfallYorky

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #134 on: Thursday 06 February 20 17:07 GMT (UK) »
As James' father is apparently deceased by time of marriage, I tried to chase Emma's family.
No idea from the marriage date how old Emma might have been, but in 1841 I can find only a couple of likely Emmas with father John Johnson.
I'd expected to find them further up the Lancs coast, possibly in the Southport area, but are either of these any help:
An Emma J b. 1825, and on Kinsey Street Congleton in 1841, with father John and mother Maria - but he's a labourer.
An Emma J b 1826, and in Ashton under Lyne in 1841, with father John and mother Martha - but this chap's working in the cotton industry.
Threlfall (Southport), Isherwood (lancs & Canada), Newbould + Topliss(Derby), Keating & Cummins (Ireland + lancs), Fisher, Strong& Casson (all Cumberland) & Downie & Bowie, Linlithgow area Scotland . Also interested in Leigh& Burrows,(Lancashire) Griffiths (Shropshire & lancs), Leaver (Lancs/Yorks) & Anderson(Cumberland and very elusive)