Author Topic: LIVERPOOL COWKEEPERS  (Read 83465 times)

Offline MBastian

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: LIVERPOOL COWKEEPERS
« Reply #63 on: Monday 30 April 12 10:11 BST (UK) »
Hi Kath and others,

I'd be very interested in hearing more about your memories of dairies in Liverpool. I'm actually running a project on the history of local food in Liverpool at the moment. We're trying to collect together as many sites and stories as possible to show how things have changed over time - and how quickly. We have found a few dairies from old maps, but we're sure there are others other there.

You can find more info on the project at www.mrseelsgarden.org and the map we're developing is here: http://www.mrseelsgarden.org/historical-local-food-sites.html. The light blue markers are the dairies.

Kath, if you are interested we'll actually be interviewing people on the 4th and 8th of May. The 4th in Everton and the 8th in the city centre. You can contact us through the website if you're interested and want more details. We'll provide you with a CD of the interview to share with others if that's of use..

Best,

Michelle

Offline rattler

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #64 on: Monday 30 April 12 11:46 BST (UK) »
I originally posted about a dairy off Lower Breck Road and said it was corner of Grange Street.  It was on corner of Lower Breck Road and Hanson Street.  Names were Metcalf. Little shop on corner and a big gate on Hanson Street with a cow in the SMALL yard behind.  Little girl called Murial Turner was knocked down by a lorry on that corner and sadly she died, late 1940s.  Anne
Wexford Town..
Harpur. O'Rourke. Foley. Walsh. Furlong.

Offline Ian999

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #65 on: Monday 30 April 12 14:11 BST (UK) »
As a kid, I remember playing at Capstick’s Farm in Belle Vale in the mid 1950s. Today there is a Capstick Crescent on the farm site.

Offline dandalady

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #66 on: Tuesday 01 May 12 18:48 BST (UK) »
I was talknig to mum today about this topic. She was brought up in Lyon Rd, Anfield and there was a cowkeeper opposite (walton Breck, Oakfield rd)?

She showed me once and you can still see a plaster cows head on the building. Mum said she remembers the very clean counter with the pail and the ladle to ladle the milk into a jug. She recalls looking at the cows in the back. This would be late 30's and 40's.

She is trying to remember the owners name.

Offline MBastian

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #67 on: Monday 07 May 12 13:25 BST (UK) »
hi everyone - thanks for the messages - I've added some of the locations mentioned in this thread to our map - hope this is ok..

You can see them here:
http://www.mrseelsgarden.org/historical-local-food-sites.html

Just look for the light blue markers

Offline pirhana

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #68 on: Monday 07 May 12 14:39 BST (UK) »
Have been reading all these posts about Liverpool cowkeepers with interest so thought it was about time to put my contribution into the pot. I had ancestors who came from North Yorkshire during the late 1870s and set up as cowkeepers in Liverpool. The 1881 census shows one of these families living at 2 Goodall Street ( Kirkdale ) where there was and still is a house with yard for the cows to be kept in. Another ancestor was living at 9 Chester Road ( off West Derby Road ) with a cowkeeper. That house has got a yard at the side as well.At the time of his marriage in 1895 my greatgrandfather was living temporarily at 41 Greenwich Road ( at the side of Kirkdale Cemetery ) with the person who was to be his best man/ witness. That person was a cowkeeper and the house at that address still has a yard at the side. I have photographs of these locations.
Dinsdale ( North Yorkshire , Wolverhampton & North Wales) , Alderson ( North Yorkshire )Hill ( Toxteth ) , Morland ( North Yorkshire )  , Simpson ( Nathan- Lead miners North Yorkshire ), Walsh( Midlothian ), Webster ( Henry-Midlothian & Newcastle )

Offline Ribb

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #69 on: Monday 07 May 12 16:32 BST (UK) »
Could someone please tell us how to put photos on this site, as we have some photos of cows and cowkeepers in Liverpool?
I have tried copy and paste - no success, drag and drop - still no success, also how does one send a personal message to anyone on this site?
Bernard

Offline MBastian

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #70 on: Monday 07 May 12 18:31 BST (UK) »
I'm not sure how to add photos but you can't private message someone until you've posted three times..

Offline ginny44

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #71 on: Monday 07 May 12 21:18 BST (UK) »
Hi

Just thought I might add that I think there was a dairy on Aigburth Road, opposite the army barracks, as the building has a cows head on the doorway.  Also, down on the prom, by the houses on Moel Famou View, there used to be a big field where lots of cows used to roam and my husband said he vaguely remembers a dairy being there.  I think there might have been one on Grace Street, and the corner of David Street, in the Holy Land, Liverpool 8.  Perhaps someone else might remember.