Author Topic: Death In South Afirca  (Read 2195 times)

Offline saxonw.

• RootsChat Senior
  • So many honest folk but it's the liars and cheats
    • View Profile
Death In South Afirca
« on: Friday 03 April 09 17:13 BST (UK) »
I now have a contemporary statement that one of my missing crew was believed to have gone to South  Africa in 1892.  I can't find him  on a boat (as yet) he was steerage and of course they aren't complete But is he was there would his death have been registered: I believe that he would have been heading for Johannesburg / Kimberley as at the centre of the Gold fields. His name was Joseph Blundell born England in 1866.
Warks -Blundell, Stagg,Guest,Jennings<br />Ireland -Guest , Connor, Nowlan/Nolan,Hemming<br />Norfolk-Stagg<br />Cardigan-Jones<br />Glamorgan- David<br />Monmouth  and Glos-Witts, Bowsher<br />Derby Leics and Notts: Roulstone, Morley,Astle, Poxon , Bywater, Sanderson, Barnett, Fletcher<br />Hants- Jennings<br />Cornwall- Trestain, Stirrup,Gyles, Pearce, Cock<br />Devon- Hutchin(g)s , Griffey,Davies<br />Middlesex- Stirrup

Offline Selina

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Re: Death In South Afirca
« Reply #1 on: Friday 03 April 09 17:52 BST (UK) »
A Joseph H. Blundell travelled London to the Cape in 1912, no exact age, with wife and apparently a daughter.  First class though.

Could have been home for a visit?

Probably of no interest but thought I would post.

Selina
Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline saxonw.

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Friday 03 April 09 18:22 BST (UK) »
 ???  He does turn up on his marriage certificate as Joseph Henry. If he's got a wife well its not the one he left behnd nor the family either: and can't beleive he made tha level of money!
Warks -Blundell, Stagg,Guest,Jennings<br />Ireland -Guest , Connor, Nowlan/Nolan,Hemming<br />Norfolk-Stagg<br />Cardigan-Jones<br />Glamorgan- David<br />Monmouth  and Glos-Witts, Bowsher<br />Derby Leics and Notts: Roulstone, Morley,Astle, Poxon , Bywater, Sanderson, Barnett, Fletcher<br />Hants- Jennings<br />Cornwall- Trestain, Stirrup,Gyles, Pearce, Cock<br />Devon- Hutchin(g)s , Griffey,Davies<br />Middlesex- Stirrup

Offline Selina

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Friday 03 April 09 18:26 BST (UK) »
Wife was Eleanor E. and daughter was Lilian M.

They were going to live in Sth Rhodesia.

Selina

Offline saxonw.

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Friday 03 April 09 20:22 BST (UK) »
Lilian M if she was 2 was born in Brentford Middlesex (1910). Parentage might be quite useful.

Offline Selina

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Friday 03 April 09 20:29 BST (UK) »
Daughter was shown in the column as being over 12 years of age so not her.

Selina

Offline bhunter

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Tuesday 19 May 09 20:06 BST (UK) »
DEPOT     KAB                                                                   
SOURCE    MOOC                                                                 
TYPE      LEER                                                                 
VOLUME_NO 6/9/719                                                               
SYSTEM    01                                                                   
REFERENCE 1960                                                                 
PART      1                                                                     
DESCRIPTION          BLUNDELL, JOSEPH. DEATH NOTICE.                                       
STARTING  19130000                                                             
ENDING    19130000
Ireland - Connor; Foley.
England - Connor; Hale; Cox; Tucker; Foley; Allison. Scotland -  More; Clark; Niven; Milne; Brown; Barclay; McIntosh.
South Africa - Cox

Offline saxonw.

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Wednesday 20 May 09 07:53 BST (UK) »
Thanks for that . But the 1913 death notice I ordered a couple of years back through NAAIRS ( I  hope that's right). is wrong age ( aged 40) and born in North Meols Lancs (ie where the great majority of Blundells originate from). So I don't think he is mine.   I>m pretty certain that if he went went it was in 1892 but it looks as if the manifests are incomplete (I've seen one entry   "+ 9"( English adult men). so unless South Africa has the matching answers I am unlikely to have any success.

Offline Danchaslyn

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Tuesday 02 June 09 11:34 BST (UK) »

:)

Hello Saxonw

Believe you me, Joseph H Blundell could have made any amount of money in South Africa, particularly at that time, the sky is, and was the limit!   ;D

Travelling First Class and with a new wife in tow, more than possible!    ;)

Sorry, my rellie not yet replied to me bout helping search for you........such is life, some folk just to busy!    >:(

Cheers

Danchaslyn

:)
MOE,   Norway, Swaziland, and Zululand, South Africa
JORGENSON, Hole, Ringerike, Buskurud, Norway
AITKEN,  Scotland, England, India, Island of St Helena, South Africa
LOBB,  India and London
WALSH,  India and England
SHORT,  Yorkshire, England, Island of St Helena
BATEMAN,  Island of St Helena, U.S.A.
YUILL,  U.S.A.
FIRTH,  Yorkshire, Engand