Author Topic: Millers in Ohio  (Read 1732 times)

Offline hazelmoore

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
Millers in Ohio
« on: Tuesday 07 April 09 15:13 BST (UK) »

I would like to find the Marriages of
        William G. Miller (b. London 1902) to Abbie M. (b. Ohio 1906) and of
        John Miller (b. London 1902)  to Edith (b. Ohio 1908)

They were twin sons of Robert Alexander Miller and Jane (Jenny) Williams and both married in 1929 in Ohio (probably a double wedding!).  I have them all on the 1930 Census but have no Maiden Names for the wives - can anyone help?  Edith's parents were born in Wales so I am curious when they emigrated.  Robert & Jane had emigrated by 1906 and my Aunt and her husband followed them in 1929.

Hoping someone can help me!

Thank you in advance,

Hazel
Goalen (Lancs., London, Leith)
Williams (Llansanffraid, Denbighs and Bala, Merionethshire)
Black (Northumberland)
Moore (London, Kent & Warwicks.)
Kibble, Dallaway, Miller, Batten
Herring, Rossiter, Rochford

Offline shellyesq

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Millers in Ohio
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday 07 April 09 15:29 BST (UK) »
Ohio Death Index
William G. Miller
Born 23 Apr. 1902
Birth Country: Remainder of World 
White, not Hispanic 
Resided in Ashtabula Co., Ohio 
Died 22 Jun 1989 at 12:40 PM at home
Father's surname: Miller 
Married 
12th grade education
Employed in construction industry
Occupation category: Plumbers, pipefitters, and steamfitters 

John's Ohio death certificate is here:  http://labs.familysearch.org/  His birth date is given as 23 Apr. 1902, so I guess that William is a match. 

As far as I know, there really isn't anything comprehensive online for Ohio marriages for the 20th century.  I found some deaths for Edith Millers in the Ohio death index, which sometimes has maiden names, but since John was listed as divorced on his death certificate, she may well have remarried before her death.

Offline shellyesq

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Tuesday 07 April 09 16:24 BST (UK) »
Social Security Death Index
William G. Miller
Last Residence:  Rock Creek, Ashtabula Co., Ohio
Born 23 Apr. 1902
Died 22 Jun. 1989
SSN issued in Ohio before 1951

Perhaps this is Abbie?

Social Security Death Index
Abbie M. Miller
Last Residence: Madison, Lake Co., Ohio
Born 15 Sep. 1906
Died 14 Apr. 2003
SSN issued in Ohio between 1961-1962

Offline hazelmoore

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Tuesday 07 April 09 16:39 BST (UK) »
Hi Shellyesq!

Thank you for your posts. Yes, I thought I had found William some time ago but couldn't find a matching John!  By the way how did you find his birth date? Yes I think that is Abbie but unfortunately it doesn't give her Maiden Name!
I didn't know Edith and John were divorced and I do have what I suppose to be her death:
EDITH MILLER  20 Feb 1908 Jul 1980 45067 (Trenton, Butler, OH) (none specified) 283-22-6880 Ohio, but in the light of what you say I am not sure now! Same problem with Maiden Name! Is there no way to find Marriages ?  Quite a stumbling block!!
I do have a son Ronald G. for Abbie and William, born 1930 and two for John and Edith (Howard and Bevan) but I find to my horror that the birthdate I have for Bevan is 6 years before the wedding!! Not impossible I know but she would only have been 15!!
I think it's back to the drawing board don't you?!

Hazel
Black (Northumberland)

Offline shellyesq

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Tuesday 07 April 09 16:54 BST (UK) »
John's birth date was on the death certificate.

I just found an index for Cuyahoga County & I think it may have your folks -

http://probate.cuyahogacounty.us/ml/

Abbie M. Morse & William G. Miller

Edith Lewis & John E. Miller

If she's the right gal, this may be Edith's family:

1920 Census, Cleveland, Cuyahoga, Ohio, 3247 So. Broadway
Lewis, John, male, white, age 55, married, immigrated 1885, papers filed for naturalization, born England, parents born England, machinist in tack factory

wife Catherine, female, white, age 59, married, immigrated 1888, alien, born Wales, father born Wales, mother born England, no occupation

daughter Edith, female, white, age 11, attending school, born Ohio, mother born England, father born Wales

There's a Bevan Miller in the 1930 Census in Ohio who was age 6 and living with parents Ernest & Lucy, who were both born in the US, so I don't think it looks like he's connected to your branch.

Offline hazelmoore

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Tuesday 07 April 09 17:44 BST (UK) »

shellyesq - you're wonderful!!  Wow - that really gives something to work on!!! I can probably trace Edith's parents now in our 1881 Census.  Still can't get what you mean by John's birth date being on the death cert. - where did you find the death cert.?

Thanks again for your help.

Hazel
Black (Northumberland)

Offline shellyesq

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Tuesday 07 April 09 18:03 BST (UK) »
His death certificate in on the Family Search Labs site I mentioned above.  Here's a direct link to the Ohio deaths:  http://search.labs.familysearch.org/recordsearch/start.html#p=collectionDetails;t=searchable;c=1307272  If you search for John Miller, under "Life event" pick "Birth/Christening", and under year, type 1902, and he's the first result.

Robert & Jane's death certificates appear to be on that site, too.

Offline shellyesq

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Tuesday 07 April 09 18:36 BST (UK) »
From the Cleveland Necrology file  http://dxsrv4.cpl.org/WebZ/Authorize?sessionid=0&next=/html/obit.html&dbchoice=1:dbname=necr&bad=html/authofail.html&style=noframe:

Published 30 Jul. 1936 - "Miller, Jane, beloved wife of Robert A., mother of Robert T., David A., William G., Mrs. Edith M. Allsopp and Mrs. Dorothy B. Hunt and the late John E., at residence, 13819 Idarose, Tuesday, July 28. Now at W. W. Young, Inc., Funeral Home, 8806 Euclid ave., where services will be held Friday, July 31, at 2 p. m."

In the Cleveland Press on 8 Apr. 1943
"Miller, Robert A.-Husband of the late Jane, father of Rober T., David A., William G., Mrs. Edith Allsopp and Dorothy Hunt; Wednesday, April 7. Now at Young-Baker Funeral Home, 8806 Euclid ave., where services will be held Friday, April 9, at 3:30 p. m"

Offline hazelmoore

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Tuesday 07 April 09 22:43 BST (UK) »
Hi again shellyesq!

Just to say that thanks to your links I have found the names of the husbands of my twins' sisters Edith and Winifred - Allsopp and Lawson plus birth & death dates. I'm only missing one surname now, that of David Alexander (b.1892 London)'s wife Esther but I think they moved to California and I can't find them! There were 7 of them altogether so I have a lot of family out there somewhere!!

Anyway thank you again for pointing me in the right direction.

Hazel
Black (Northumberland)