Author Topic: The Yelding Family  (Read 13645 times)

Offline Gypsy123

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: The Yelding Family
« Reply #9 on: Sunday 10 May 09 16:10 BST (UK) »
Hi there,
 a small world, if you give me you Address i will give it to my sister as she is in contact with them.
Regards
Gypsy123

Offline yeldin

• RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Wednesday 09 June 10 21:13 BST (UK) »
yo i know this is a mega late message, but i found this when i got curious about my surname.... Im George Yelding, raised in swanley (oh yes) but now in liverpool doing university.

I just thought i would give ye the heads up......

once again very sorry for being like a year late

much love
george
xxxxx

Offline orault

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Tuesday 28 December 10 16:31 GMT (UK) »
Hi Everyone :)

I'm trying to track down information on my great grandparents and would appreciate any help you can offer - I'm having trouble finding them through web searches and then found this forum. :)

Thomas Yelding - Circus "jocky rider" (trick rider) - I believe he performed at a royal command performance for Queen Victoria (?)
We have an engraved medal which was presented to him by (I think it was the Rotary Club of Merthyr Tydfil in Wales)

The engraving reads:
Presented to
Mr. Thomas Yelding
by a few of his friends and admirers
of Merthyr Tidvil
May 1880

if that helps?

He married Ellen Ginnette who I understand was French.

My grandmother, Ouida Yelding was the youngest of their 14 children.

They left England for South Africa before my grandmother was born, and she was born there.

My mother thinks that Thomas (her grandfather) died around the early 1930s in South Africa, and Ellen died there in 1924.

Four of their other children were called Jack, Rosa, Lizzie and Bogey - who were much older than my grandmother.

Any information on Thomas and Ellen would be appreciated.
Thanks v much in advance. :)

Offline Paparico

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Monday 20 July 15 06:02 BST (UK) »
Thomas Yelding was the father of Henry Yelding who married Abigail Fossett (Great Yarmouth, Norfolk) 24.XI.1861 St. Mary, Whitechapel, MDDX,  and Harry Yelding who married Kate Hanneford 4Q 1895 Warrington, Lancs, both providing a great number of circus entertainers to the continent and the Americas.
Note that Thomas is listed as "shopkeeper" on one marriage certificate, but "artist" on the other . ...Aloha!

Offline Paparico

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Monday 20 July 15 06:07 BST (UK) »
Oops!  Thomas Yelding, artist, was the father of John Yelding b. 1831, who married Martha Fosset 27.IX.1852 a St Bartholomew, Bethnal Green, Mddx.

Offline Lamps1

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Tuesday 05 January 16 12:40 GMT (UK) »
My 3xgrandmothers sister Caroline Mayo married Benjamin Yelding. Benjamin and Caroline travelled Sussex as General Dealers and finally settled in Witley Surrey. Benjamin's sister Emma Yelding married Robert Fossett of Fossett Circus. Benjamin father was Thomas Yelding who travelled Surrey and Buckinghamshire and was a Marine Store Dealer.
Roberts/Deacon/Barber/Rhoades/Mayo/Beeny/Johnson/Light/Whitehorn all of Sussex/Surrey/Dorset

Offline Kevin Wooldridge

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Friday 16 September 16 12:48 BST (UK) »
I too come from Swanley and remember the Yelding family. I was at school with at least two of them. My family (Matthews/Collins) settled in Swanley c 1900 along with a large number of other travelling families. I sometimes think we could generate a whole RootsChat page just dedicated to the history of travellers in and around Swanley. 

Offline whiteout7

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Saturday 24 September 16 10:31 BST (UK) »
Newspaper clipping for Thomas Yelding circus in Wales at  Merthyr

http://newspapers.library.wales/view/3284339/3284343/81/

There is a huge amount of information about Thomas Yelding and his circus horsemanship by subscription at Genes Reunited

http://www.GenesReunited.co.nz/searchbna/results?memberlastsubclass=none&searchhistorykey=0&keywords=thomas%20yelding

"THE YELDINGS

The Yeldings are another prolific circus family: their name has appeared on circus programmes all over the world for the last 100 years. Thomas Yelding, a jockey act, died just before the war while with Pagel's Circus in South Africa. He was eighty-one. His three brothers, Robert, Harry and Johnny, were also riders, Robert being distinguished for his finished displays in such scenas as "The Gambler," "The Shipwrecked Mariner," "Shaw the Lifeguardsman" and "The Indian" Harry, for some reason tiring of the family name, called himself Sloane and his two sons and two daughters, who clown on stilts, are known as the Sloane family. Johnny's three sons all performed with the Mills Circus, Tony as a rider, Claude and David as trapezists. At one performance Claude, missing a catch, fell and was killed. Bob's daughter, Eleanore, is the only English girl who performs on the sliding wire. Once she was nearly killed. This was about ten years ago when she was performing with Ray Stott's Circus. The light failed and in this emergency the circus ring was lit with the lamps of a motor car: the audience, mostly miners, shouted they couldn't see and rioted, destroying the seating and cutting the rope for the dive to death act just as Eleanor begun her slide. She crashed and sprawled in the ring, everyone thought she must be dead, but she was all right, only badly bruised." - credit to this link http://www.twjc.co.uk/books/thecircusbook.html

"Ohmy’s real name was a rather plain and ordinary one; it was Joe Smith, who came from Nottingham.  He was married and had at least two children, Claude and Minnie who were both circus artistes and appeared regularly in Ohmy’s circus.  Claude, while in Blackburn, lodged at 44 Mill Lane and was married to Lizzie Yelding who was a bare back rider from Nottingham. They were both interned in Germany during World War One." Lizzie Yelding was Thomas Yeldings daughter http://www.cottontown.org/Culture%20and%20Leisure/Theatre/Pages/The-Show-Must-Go-On.aspx

"Kate Hanneford the youngest of the children, married Henry Yelding, son of another well known English circus family. She had thick red hair and an eighteen inch waist, and was considered a top equestrienne. While she was appearing in Paris with Circus Medrano she was photo- graphed sitting on a horse. She was being presented a bouquet by a clown while the ring- master and her dog, Boo Boo, looked on. Her costume was quite outrageous for the time - a tutu - female riders being expected to dress modestly at that time. The interesting point about that picture is that the famous French painter, Henri Toulouse-Lautrec painted a series of circus pictures, some of which resembled the photograph. Thus, it is considered by most people that Kate is the subject of those paintings - in particular "In The Circus Fernando" circa 1888.
     Kate and Henry had four children, Henry Edwin, Dolly, Millie, and John. Henry became a champion stilt walker and, under the name "Harry Sloan", came to the United States in the late 1920's to appear in the Ringling show with sister Dolly and brother John. The family still performs today. After Henry died, in 1918, Kate retired and ran a boarding house in Lowestoft, England. Each year, until her death in 1957, she traveled to London for an annual circus performers' Christmas party where she was recognized as the oldest female rider." credit to this link  http://www.hanneford.8m.com/history/earlydays.htm
Wemyss/Crombie/Laing/Blyth (West Wemyss)
Givens/Normand (Dysart)
Clark/Lister (Dysart)
Wilkinson/Simson (Kettle or Kettlehill)

Offline ambertaylor102

• RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Sunday 27 December 20 06:04 GMT (UK) »
Hello,

I am currently trying to track down information about my biological grandmother. She left my mother and her 3 sisters with their dad, when she was a baby. She just received information about her mothers family and I wanted to learn more. She passed away a few years ago but I do not know when she was born or passed away.
Her name was Jacqueline Yelding and she passed away in Glasgow, Scotland. She had 3 siblings Frankie, Terry, and Tony.

She is related to the Yelding brothers who were famous in the circus world. Her father's name was George Yelding. One of the more famous brothers was John 'speedy' yelding and he was married to Emmie Yelding. She is actually related to another famous circus family and is the granddaughter of 'Sir' Robert Fosset.

I hope that information jumps out to anyone and that I can get into contact with anyone that has additional information. Google has not been much help and neither have other websites.

Thank you!

Amber Taylor