Author Topic: Owens family Holywell  (Read 10681 times)

Offline leonlyn

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.natio
    • View Profile
Owens family Holywell
« on: Wednesday 08 April 09 10:47 BST (UK) »
Hello everyone. I am new to Rootschat, so please bear with me!

My great grandfather THOMAS SIMPSON OWENS (22) married MARY MEREDITH (21) on 23 August 1902 in the register office at Holywell Flint. 

Residence at time of marriage: (looks like) Trevor, Llanerchymor, Holywell

Thomas's father is shown as Thomas Owens (deceased) occupation Butcher

I can find Mary's family, but not Thomas's!  Can anyone out there help me please? I am looking for

1) birth of Thomas Simpson Owens
2) b,m,d of his father Thomas (Think his wife was called Jane)
3) Any clue as to why he had the middle name of Simpson - which has been passed down the family to one of his sons and his grandson!

Many thanks in advance

Leonlyn

Owens/Roberts/Meredith/Vaughan in Wales

Offline wrjones

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Owens family Holywell
« Reply #1 on: Wednesday 08 April 09 11:28 BST (UK) »
Welcome to Rootschat Leonlyn and I'm afraid I've drawn a complete blank on someone strictly called Thomas Simpson Owens.There is a Thomas Simpson born in the St Asaph District in 1880 who may prove interestting.I may have a connection to your Meredith Family though if they originated in the Newmarket/Trelawnydd area of Flintshire.

Regards
William Russell Jones
Cefn Mawr
Wrexham.
Jones, Griffiths. Stephens, Parry, Gabriel, Conway, Hughes, Evans, Roberts, Lea, Hanmer. Peake, Edwards. Newnes, Davies. Thomas. "Blythin".
All North Wales.
Conway, Durber, Cartlidge, Lovatt, Bebington. Brindley, Sankey, Brunt. Dean. Clewes. Rhodes. Mountford,Walker,Bache, "Gibbons"Hood. Taylor
All Stoke-on-Trent.
Francis - Nantwich Cheshire.
Dennell - Cheshire/Staffordshire.
Talbot-Shropshire
Census Information Is Crown Copyright,from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline leonlyn

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Wednesday 08 April 09 11:52 BST (UK) »
Hi William

Thomas Simpson Owens - well, I'm starting to despair of him!  ;)

My grandfather, William Thomas Owens had a brother called Quentin Simpson Owens, and my mum's older brother was Thomas Simpson Owens, so there MUST be a connection somewhere out there. I'll keep looking!

My Meredith family are:

Mary Meredith  born Whitford 1882

Parents:

William Meredith born 5/6/1851 Mostyn
Catherine Vaughan 1855 Abergele
married: 1876 St Asaph

Grandparents:

Edward Meredith born 1807 Newmarket (1811 on 1871 census)
Jane Roberts born 1819 Caerwys Flintshire (1822 on 1871 census)
married: 17/2/1849 Mostyn

Edward's father shown as John occupation Miner
Jane's father also John occupation gardener

Children of Edward and Jane on 1871 census:

William born 1851
Elizabeth Anne born 1855
Sophia born 1856
also with them on 1871 census

William Roberts - brother in law b 1844
Ellen Roberts - sister in law b 184
Susanah Roberts - mother-in-law born 1791

Anything familiar?

Leonlyn

Offline wrjones

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Wednesday 08 April 09 12:18 BST (UK) »
Well Leonlyn if your Edward Meredith was the son of John Meredith and Elizabeth Hughes,then he also had a sister Frances born around 1806 in Newmarket and who I have in my Tree for she married one of my Dawson relatives of Ruabon.

Regards
William Russell Jones
Cefn Mawr
Wrexham.
Jones, Griffiths. Stephens, Parry, Gabriel, Conway, Hughes, Evans, Roberts, Lea, Hanmer. Peake, Edwards. Newnes, Davies. Thomas. "Blythin".
All North Wales.
Conway, Durber, Cartlidge, Lovatt, Bebington. Brindley, Sankey, Brunt. Dean. Clewes. Rhodes. Mountford,Walker,Bache, "Gibbons"Hood. Taylor
All Stoke-on-Trent.
Talbot-Shropshire

Offline leonlyn

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Wednesday 08 April 09 12:26 BST (UK) »
Hi WIlliam - it's a likely bet. Elizabeth was the name of Edward and Jane's first daughter - and as far as I can tell, the likely sequence is that she was named after her paternal grandmother. Haven't found Frances yet - but I'm still looking!!

Do you have subs to Genes Reunited or Ancestry? I have trees on both, which you would be more than welcome to look at.

Regards

Leonlyn

Offline wrjones

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Wednesday 08 April 09 13:20 BST (UK) »
Thanks Leonlyn and I am subscribed to both Ancestry and GR.

Regards
William Russell Jones
Cefn Mawr
Wrexham.
All North Wales.
All Stoke-on-Trent.
Talbot-Shropshire

Offline leonlyn

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Wednesday 08 April 09 17:07 BST (UK) »
Hi William

I've just checked my tree on Genes (can't remember everything!) and indeed my Merediths are descended from John Meredith and Elizabeth Hughes.

If you go on to GR and search for Susanah Roberts born 1791, you should come up with a match to one in my tree - it is under the tree owners name of Lynne. Request access, and I will let you have a look.

Regards

Lynne

Offline Eldon

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright,
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Monday 27 April 09 19:38 BST (UK) »
Hello Leonlyn: I have a Gt Grandfather called John Edwards Jones, and like you I could not find his birth.  I then thought about this middle name and it is his mother's surname that he adopted in his lifetime and therefore was not not on his birth or baptism. He used this middle name for his eldest son. Simpson sounds to me to be more surname than christian name. Have you thought of searching for the birth of Thomas Owens with a mother nee Simpson. He has to be on the 1881 census. (Had a very quick look, there are 43 in Wales but it seems you don't know for certain that he was born there.)
Plan B would be the death cert. for his father. Has to be in the last 22 years.
Plan C would be marriage of  Jane Simpson to Thomas Owens.
Keep a very open mind on Owen and Owens.
Looks like an evening of 'do not disturb' with a bottle of red.
PS. You could book yourself into your local record office and use their computer search facility free of charge, but you seem to good access already.
Regards Eldon.
Hill in Tavistock, Twose and Coles in Halberton, Flower in Havant and Wells.
Negus in Polebrook  Jones in Kingswinford, Phillips in Chirk, Dodd in Cheshire

Offline leonlyn

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Monday 27 April 09 21:45 BST (UK) »
Hello Eldon, and thank you for your message.

I have now managed to find my elusive Thomas on the censuses ( I think) aged 1. His father Thomas Owens, a butcher, is the only one I can find on the census with that name and occupation. They were living in Birkenhead in 1881, but Thomas Simpson Owens is shown as being born in Rhyl, and it looks like it has been wrongly transcribed as Thomas J Owens. He has two older sisters on that census - Mary L born in Rhyl and Alice A born in Skelmersdale. I'll take your advice and look for a Thomas Owens marrying a Jane SImpson, or alternatively a Thomas Owens with a mother maiden name of Simpson.

On another tack, I notice that you are located in Prestatyn. Believe it or not, my Owens quest starts there!! My grandfather's brothers lived in Church Walks, Prestatyn, which if I remember correctly was just off the High Street at the top of the hill. As a child, I used to go and stay with Uncle Joe and Aunty Nellie (Joseph and Helen Owens) and their children. They had 2 sons - Bernard, who I vaguely remember was a policeman and married to a hairdresser (he was a lot older than me), Michael, and 2 daughters Mary and Helen who were much closer to me in age. At the end of Church Walks there was another brother - who we always called Uncle Mered, although I now believe he was actually called Edward Meredith Owens. The youngest of my grandfather's brothers, Quentin, lived in Wrexham with his wife Margaret. I think there were two sisters as well, one of them, Eleanor, lived in Oldham with her husband and 2 children - Cassie was the other sister - I think she may have actually been Mary Catherine - she was married to a man called Ted and lived in Watford.

I tell you all this just in case you recognise any of the names!! It is about 45 years ago (gosh that makes me feel VERY old), but just in case you do happen to know any of the children (Bernard, Michael, Mary or Helen) I would love to be back in touch with them.

I'm off now to search the registers for a Thomas Owen/s and a Jane Simpson!!

As you surmise, I have very good internet access and resources, and I think the idea of a bottle of red is very appealing right now......

Many thanks for your time and advice.

Regards

Lynne