Author Topic: Still searching any help please??  (Read 3133 times)

Offline Mars Barr

• I am sorry but my emails are no longer working
  • RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
Re: Still searching any help please??
« Reply #9 on: Saturday 23 July 05 17:10 BST (UK) »
Hi Mary
Thank you for the cemetery infornation, I have had a look and seen the entries for Maggie Driscoll etc, thank you, I can add this information to my notes now.

I shall continue looking to see if I can find any more relating to Grace & her children
this is a bit of a "breakthrough" for me and I`m hoping more will now crop up.
I am also trying to find out a local paper for the area, re the answer from samthompson, I was given some funeral information of 2004, and some of the people mentioned could be related (I hope so!) so now I am hoping there is some way I can advertise in the local paper to see if I can make contact, it would be wonderful if at last I do.

I still have not found any clues to the name CHARLIE HERD/HEARD that was the name of my mother`s cousin who came to visit us in 1947/48 I did not see his name written, so I don`t know if that is correct spelling or not, it would be great if I found that he was also related to the Gartlands, or perhaps Laura Gagan, he was the one who mentioned the name of Paddison to my mother (I was eavesdropping at the time!!) and Louisa Paddison was  the name of Grace & Laura`s mother, when Charlie had gone back to Canada, I was then getting letters from a "cousin?" named Eleanour, I don`t know if she was my cousin or my mother`s (I was never told) but I was writing letters to her, which my mother posted so I never knew the address or surname
Thanks again
Maud
Gartland (Canada)  Copeland (Derby & Leicester)  Barr (Greenock-Scotland)
Geoghan(Ireland)  Jarvis (Essex)

Offline samthompson

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Monday 25 July 05 23:47 BST (UK) »
Hello

I am wondering if you have contact with the Grant family of your grandfather's wife, Mabel? Might they know something?

Could this be them in 1881 (just a long shot but the name Maud is in this family)

Household:

Name  Marital Status Gender Ethnic Origin Age Birthplace Occupation Religion
 William GRANT   M   Male   Scottish   43   Ontario   Merchant   C. Methodist 
 Sarah Jane GRANT   M   Female   Irish   35   Ontario      C. Methodist 
 William GRANT      Male   Scottish   12   Ontario      C. Methodist 
 Margaret GRANT      Female   Scottish   11   Ontario      C. Methodist 
 Annie T GRANT      Female   Scottish   9   Ontario      C. Methodist 
 Bella Maud GRANT      Female   Scottish   6   Ontario      C. Methodist 
 Mabel May GRANT      Female   Scottish   4   Ontario      C. Methodist 
 James Carson GRANT      Male   Scottish   1   Ontario      C. Methodist 

~~~~~~~~
Source Information:
  Census Place Maryborough, Wellington North, Ontario
  Family History Library Film   1375895
  NA Film Number   C-13259
  District   153
  Sub-district   A
  Division   3
  Page Number   4
  Household Number   24

here is the family in 1901

9 26   92 Grant Wm M   Head M Mar 17 1838 63
9 27   92 Grant Sarah F   Wife M Feb 9 1844 57
9 28   92 Grant Wm. A. M   Son S Jul 12 1867 33
9 29   92 Grant Jas. C. M   Son S Nov 7 1879 21
9 30   92 Grant Frank S. M   Son S Jun 2 1888 12

WW1 papers for Frank
http://data2.archives.ca/cef/gpc005/361672a.gif

What about the family of Grace's stepdaughter?

Thelma

Source: Library and Archives Canada's website (www.collectionscanada.ca)

Kilgannon, Chugg, Neutze

Offline Mars Barr

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Tuesday 26 July 05 10:08 BST (UK) »
Hi Thelma,
Thanks for the names and suggestiuons re the Grants.
However, Mabel Grant was my grandmother, she married g.father Stephen Gagan in Ontario 1894 (he gave himself an additional Christian name of John, why I do not know, he also claimed to have been born in Canada, again not so, he was born in Stafford England)
There are so many mysteries in my family thats its quite a job unravelling them now.

In 1881, my gt grandfather George Nelson Grant, was apparently in Perth Scotland, with g.mother Mabel and wife Mary Hannah (g.mother was born in Derby England) Mary Hannah (nee Copeland) disappeared after 1881, I still cannot trace when or where she died,
The family also appeared to have all been parted, the eldes son being in lodgings in Edinburgh, the eldest daughter with her g.mother in Edinburgh, another son in 1881 appears to have been in an Industrial School(Fechney) in Perth, I had tried to locate the records, but unfortunately the present headmaster informed me that the records for that period no longer exist, so another stop that cannot go any further, I still do not know what happened to that son (George Nelson Grant b.1870 in Derby) he too has disappeared into thin air!! I have begun to think that George Nelson senior & wife Mary Hannah may have parted and gone their separate ways, g.grandfather George Nelson was next traced in London and in the 1891 & 1901 census was living with another "wife" Annie (can find no trace of any marriage)he died in Leicester  some years later, still with wife Annie, I can only imagine therefore that perhaps Mary Hannah had another partner, but without knowing her surname I cnnot find her.
It begins to make clear to me, why nothing was ever revealed about the family, I and my brothers (now deceased) were kept in the dark about all the various goings on!!.
Anyway, thanks for your efforts on my behalf, it is appreciated.
Maud

Offline Mary G.

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Tuesday 26 July 05 14:19 BST (UK) »
Used the Ontario Cemetery Finder (an incomplete database, but useful just the same) to find that Grace M. Gartland is buried in Piccadilly Cemetery in Hinchinbrooke Township, County of Frontenac. Its up Highway 38, near the tiny town of Godfrey (really nothing more than a crossroads now), north of Kingston Ontario, and I go through there on the way to my summer home regularly (by breathtaking cooincidence). Do you want me to have a look for her headstone? I wonder if Augustus is in there as well, but the finder has no listing for him (which doesn't mean much).

Mary G.

Offline Mars Barr

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Tuesday 26 July 05 14:57 BST (UK) »
Hi Mary,
Thank you for the information about where Grace Gartland is buried, it would certainly be lovely to have more info about her & and also Augustus of course. How kind of you, it is very much appreciated that I will be able to include this in my writing about the family, thank you so much for your offer of help.
Maud