Author Topic: 1881 census look up please  (Read 4724 times)

Offline *sparkle *

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
1881 census look up please
« on: Wednesday 08 April 09 20:28 BST (UK) »
I am trying to find James Sproul bn 1867, Ireland on the 1881 scottish census.

He married Ellen in 1885 and they are on 1891 census living at Paisley, Renfrewshire.

James would be abt 18 on 1881 census and I think his parents were James and Sarah.  I am trying to find out when he left Ireland to move to Scotland

Any help would be much appreciated

Thank you

Online RJ_Paton

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Cuimhnichibh air na daoine bho'n d'thainig sibh
    • View Profile
Re: 1881 census look up please
« Reply #1 on: Wednesday 08 April 09 21:26 BST (UK) »
I've checked the 1881 census without success.

There are only 3 individuals named James Sproul within a few years of "your" james date of birth (1857 - 1867) but none of them appear to fit as 2 were born in Scotland and the third born in India.

Changing the search criteria and removing a date of birth but adding Ireland as a birthplace does bring up a few more but all much older than your James.

Interestingly there is a widowed sarah Sproull living in Paisley as head of her family but she was born in Renfrewshire and no james listed as son.

Offline *sparkle *

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Wednesday 08 April 09 22:09 BST (UK) »
Hi Falkyrn

Thank you for your time and help it is much appreciated. It does make you wonder if Sarah could be mother of James and maybe a mistake was made when recording her birthplace. Hard to tell

Never mind I will keep up the hunt for them.

Thanks

Offline Ann Baker

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Truth will out! (Finding it another matter!)
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Thursday 09 April 09 05:15 BST (UK) »
Hi sparkle

Fraid there were no records kept of toing and froing to Ireland from Scotland. (Would be great if were). Cos wasn't outside Uk so no imigration/emigration tho a fair bit of that did take place.

There is one James I think might be a possible on the 1881 but as Scotlands People has decided to do a wobbly I can't see now but this one is maybe worth following up

1881 Census SPRUELL JAMES M 13 PAISLEY /RENFREW 573/00 088/00 040

If he married Ellen in 1885 in Scotland then his marriage cert would give you then names of both his and Ellen's parents. You didn't say Ellen's maiden name so if you can provide can look for his marriage.

Best wishes

Ann  :)
Torrens, Thompson - Tyrone & Fermanagh,Connolly, Campbell - Monaghan & Cavan, McGovern, Carroll, Orr - Ireland <br />Connolly, Fulton, Stirling, Cameron, McKellar, Robertson, McGovern, Torrance, Bisland, Fraser, Hamilton, O'Hara, McAusland, McTaggart , Lambie, Twedale, Hart, Clark(Paisley/Barrhead/Glasgow)<br />McGovern, Liddell - Falkirk<br />Mair, Muir, Carroll, Stewart, Law, Orr - Lanarkshire <br />Torrance - Brisbane<br />Connolly , Robertson- NSW<br />McGovan(?), Robertson , Agnew-

Offline Ann Baker

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Thursday 09 April 09 05:25 BST (UK) »
Hi sparkle

S peeps has now recovered from its wobbly. That ref I gave isn't him fraid now I can see it.

Ann :)
Torrens, Thompson - Tyrone & Fermanagh,Connolly, Campbell - Monaghan & Cavan, McGovern, Carroll, Orr - Ireland <br />Connolly, Fulton, Stirling, Cameron, McKellar, Robertson, McGovern, Torrance, Bisland, Fraser, Hamilton, O'Hara, McAusland, McTaggart , Lambie, Twedale, Hart, Clark(Paisley/Barrhead/Glasgow)<br />McGovern, Liddell - Falkirk<br />Mair, Muir, Carroll, Stewart, Law, Orr - Lanarkshire <br />Torrance - Brisbane<br />Connolly , Robertson- NSW<br />McGovan(?), Robertson , Agnew-

Offline Ann Baker

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Thursday 09 April 09 05:28 BST (UK) »
Hi Sparkle

Am assuing this is your man

1885 SPROUL JAMES married CARLTON ELLEN PAISLEY /RENFREW 573/00 0078 .

Thier marriage cert is on Scotland's People and will give both sets of parents

best wishes

Ann :)

Offline *sparkle *

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Thursday 09 April 09 11:12 BST (UK) »
Hi Ann

That is the James I am looking for.  Many thanks for your help it is much appreciated.

I will get marriage cert for them

Offline morpethian

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Thursday 14 May 09 21:57 BST (UK) »
FAO Sparkle

I do hope you get notification of this posting.

I am a great grandaughter of James & Ellen Sproul, there daughter Ellen (listed wrongly as Helen in the Scotland 1891 census) was my grandmother, when she married my grandfather James Ingram they moved to Northumberland.
James Sproul was a Gas Stoker and the family also moved to Morpeth, the family grave is in Morpeth, Northumberland.
If you have any information about their roots/ancestors I would be very interested as I've struggled to locate any details of their Irish roots.

Offline *sparkle *

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Sunday 17 May 09 18:54 BST (UK) »
Hi Morpethian