Author Topic: 1918 newspaper casualty photo  (Read 4897 times)

Offline mcfc1923

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
1918 newspaper casualty photo
« on: Saturday 19 February 05 01:13 GMT (UK) »
Hello everyone, my gt uncle  died in France during the great war while serving with one of the salford pals battalions.  I just wondered what the chances are that one of the local salford papers of that day would not only have a few lines regarding his death, but also a picture of him as well,?

Regards

Jim
WARBURTON, SHELTON, HENDREN, HENDERSON.

Offline Manchester Rambler

• Global Moderator
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: 1918 newspaper casualty photo
« Reply #1 on: Saturday 19 February 05 16:19 GMT (UK) »
What was his name?  I can check it against some info I have on Salford serviceman. 
ANT: Nesbit, Potts; CHS: Gosling (Hazel Grove/Lymm), Hinton (Lymm), Johnson (Hazel Grove), Marsland (Hazel Grove), Massey (Daresbury), Sorton (Warmingham); LAN: Jackson, James, Potts (Manchester/Salford); MAY: Caulfield, Griffin (Leveelick); SAL: Goodwin, Johnson (Bridgnorth), Gregory (Wellington); STS: Goodwin, Gregory, Johnson (Wolverhampton); Hallett (Trysull); SOM: Dowding, James, Jones (Bath)

Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline mcfc1923

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Saturday 19 February 05 18:30 GMT (UK) »
What was his name?  I can check it against some info I have on Salford serviceman. 

much appreciated, his name is Arthur Warburton, private 19578,
16th battalion lancashire fusiliers.

cheers

jim

• Global Moderator
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Saturday 19 February 05 19:00 GMT (UK) »
I have a Private A Warburton of the 6th Lancashire Fuiliers, who died at Arras in April 1917 - is this the right one?
ANT: Nesbit, Potts; CHS: Gosling (Hazel Grove/Lymm), Hinton (Lymm), Johnson (Hazel Grove), Marsland (Hazel Grove), Massey (Daresbury), Sorton (Warmingham); LAN: Jackson, James, Potts (Manchester/Salford); MAY: Caulfield, Griffin (Leveelick); SAL: Goodwin, Johnson (Bridgnorth), Gregory (Wellington); STS: Goodwin, Gregory, Johnson (Wolverhampton); Hallett (Trysull); SOM: Dowding, James, Jones (Bath)

Offline mcfc1923

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Sunday 20 February 05 00:08 GMT (UK) »
if it's from the national roll of the great war and the address is 45 higher Sheffield street, yes, that's the one, and just below it is a 'C' Warburton, labour corps, that's his elder brother Charles.

I started researching my gt uncles a few months back and found out that the battalion (6th) and date of death, (1917) are infact incorrect, he died while serving with the 16th in 1918.
I have sent for his service papers which i hope will tell me all i need to know about his time in France, and then i will concentrate on researching Charles.

What i was hoping to find was a casualty photo in perhaps one of the local papers of that time, just wondered what the chances are of there being one, and if anyone has been lucky enough to come across a photo of their relative who died in ww1, i imagine the salford newspaper archives is the obvious next step to search.
Thanks for your help manchester rambler, it was much appreciated.

regards

Jim

• Global Moderator
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Sunday 20 February 05 09:41 GMT (UK) »
OK - we have the same source material!  Sorry not to be more helpful.  I have photos of 2 relatives killed in WW1, but only because they sent them to family members.  You're lucky if your g-uncle's service records have survived - my grandfather was a driver in the RASC, and I'm trying to find out which batallion, etc he was attached to so I can know more about his time in France.  As far as I can see from the National Archives site, his records haven't survived.  Oh, and the CD doesn't mention him either!  On the +++ side, I do have his medals, and a fair number of photos, because towards the end of the war he was attached to a photographic unit (acc to family), and I think the military photographer gave him these.

Sarah

PS I thought my brother was the only City fan left?!  ;)

Offline mcfc1923

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Sunday 20 February 05 21:56 GMT (UK) »
Hi Sarah, so if ther are any photos of him while he was in the army they would have been sent to his family, i never thought of that.
the service records are what i am bankng on, but like you say Sarah, the chances of his service record turning up are slim but ther is always that chance they may have survived.
with regards to your grandfathers battalion etc, have you tried ''The Long Long Trail'' war forum?, if you like i could see if they have any info on the RASC, i would need his name and service number, thers bound to be someone who will know or put you on the right track.
Having his medals is one huge plus to say the least, and to add photos as well is fantastic.
Not sure what happened to my gt uncles medals, will need to start contacting family members in the hope that someone knows something.
I do have a platoon photo(photo copy) with a list of names of those that are in the photo, which includes my gt uncle, but the names are not in order of those in the photo, so i have no idea which one is my uncle in the photo, which is a little frustrating.

Anyway, if you want me to check with the war forum just let me know your grandfathers number and i will see what they can come up with, ther usually very quick with a reply so you should not have long to wait.

Jim

PS  Ther is plenty of us City fans left, and come the start of next season our national anthem of blue moon shall be heard throughout Europe ;)

Offline winston

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Sunday 20 February 05 22:16 GMT (UK) »
HI Jim

We have been in contact earlier regareding your Arthur W.

See next message.

Wendy
Any census information included in this post is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Blakeley in Batley West Yorks
Turner in Hanging Heaton West Yorkshire
Dann last known area Soothill West Yorks
Hirst in Hanging heaton W Yorks
Moss in Morley and Leeds
Parker in Morley W Yorks
Parker in Hull E Yorks
Tilburns in Morley W Yorks

Offline winston

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Sunday 20 February 05 22:20 GMT (UK) »
HI Jim

We have been in contact earlier regarding your Arthur W.

I too had chance and found a photo of my grandma's grandad whose WW1 service records I sent for via the site I gave the address to which you are waiting for info from.  The photo was in bad condition due to age and being a bad prinout form the MICROFICHE.  There was a chilling ghostly figure hanging around.  Anyway in my search for a photo restorer of somekind I came across the BRITISH LIBRARY website who hold newspaper archives of most small local newspaper.  

I contacted them via their website and for a price they will take a photo of the photo that appears in the paper.

But of course you have to find that elusive photo first.

Wendy
Any census information included in this post is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Blakeley in Batley West Yorks
Turner in Hanging Heaton West Yorkshire
Dann last known area Soothill West Yorks
Hirst in Hanging heaton W Yorks
Moss in Morley and Leeds
Parker in Morley W Yorks
Parker in Hull E Yorks
Tilburns in Morley W Yorks