Author Topic: New Radford cemetery?  (Read 9731 times)

Offline alanmg

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
New Radford cemetery?
« on: Tuesday 14 April 09 20:26 BST (UK) »
My gt gt gt grandfather  Thomas Gagg died in September 1878, he was living at Regents place ,new Radford, Nottingham.
His son Edward also lived there and died a few years later.

I am going to visit  our families ancestral  village of Misterton  in the summer and was hoping to  find Thomas and Edward's graves whilst on my trip.
Could anyone tell me where they are likely to be buried, would it be at the general cemetery?

If so is there anyway of finding out if they are buried there prior to my trip.
Any help much appreciated.
Thanks
Alan

Offline Dizzifish

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Re: New Radford cemetery?
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday 14 April 09 21:33 BST (UK) »
Hello Alan….

Welcome to Rootschat  :)

I can tell you from the Nottinghamshire FHS index they are buried at Christ Church, Radford.

Burial -  Radford Christ Church
THOMAS GAGG, aged 81, 1st October 1878, abode Bloomsgrove Street
EDWARD GAGG, aged 56, 9th March 1885, abode 1 Regent Place

I am not sure exactly where that church is/was, it seems to be Ilkeston Road, Radford, hopefully someone that knows the area better than I do can give some more information as to where it is.

Kind regards
Sheila.

Offline alanmg

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Wednesday 15 April 09 08:13 BST (UK) »
That's fantastic, just hope the church and burial ground are still there.

Many thanks for taking the time and trouble to help me it is most appreciated.

Alan

Offline Jane Eden

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Thursday 16 April 09 00:26 BST (UK) »
Hi

I hate to say it but I am am not sure the church still exists.  I have lots of records but cannot find the church still in existance. I cannot see where you are based but before you come to nottm please check it is still there. Please contact me for further information.

Jane
Notts: Burrows, Comery, Foster, Beeson.
Derbys: Burrows, Comery, Smith  Lincs: King. 

Information contained within Census Lookups is Crown Copyright:  www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline alanmg

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Thursday 16 April 09 08:28 BST (UK) »
I think unfortunately that you are right, I did some checking on the net yesterday and it looks like it might have been amalgamated with All Souls in the Southwell diocese.
I sent a query to them and I am waiting a reply.
I also found on another website listing Nottingham churches an entry for Christ church in italics, which apparently means -destroyed-disused or demolished.
So it is not looking good.

I have traced my family extensively over the last ten years or so and have masses of information on them going back in a direct line from  the early 1600's tomy grandson Jack , yet not once have i found  the grave of any of my direct line.

Found quite a few for other parts of the Gagg families, so maybe one day I will find some of mine as well, I will just have to keep on searching and maybe with my research and  the goodwill of people like you I will find some of them.

Thanks for your help it is much appreciated.

Alan

Offline valjaya

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Monday 06 February 12 18:34 GMT (UK) »
Hi Alan

I have just joined RootsChat and saw your query - hope you still check this out as I am a bit late responding!!.

Christ Church had its front on Ronald Street, Radford (we who lived there never refered to it as New Radford!). It was on a piece of land that was walled in on Grant Street and Ilkeston Road. My parents got married there  in 1936 - ish. We lived in Denton Street - Grant Street ran across the bottom of our street. You are correct - it no longer exists. My older sister says it was not being used when whe was a child - circa. early1940s. She remembers playing inside the empty church and putting wild flowers on the graves.

My memories are shadowy of the actual church but I remember the slate grave stones were removed from the graves and stood leaning against the church wall for some time after the church was demolished. I also remember the stone wall being demolished and we kids found a stash of coins hidden inside - it was a scramble to get a few each! The land was separated into two halves by a wall and the Ilkeston Road side was made into a Garden of Rest: lovely rose gardens with seats for those who wished to sit awhile. We kids without a garden helped ourselves to the blooms on accasion to take flowers to our teacher at Douglas Road School, opposite the gardens - until the garden caretaker put a stop to it!!

I do not know what happened to the grave stones or if the remains were removed or still remain interred.....perhaps the authority for cemetaries will know the answer to that.

Hope that is a little enlightening....best wishes.

Offline alanmg

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Monday 06 February 12 20:31 GMT (UK) »
Thanks for the information, it is fascinating  to learn a bit about the church  and the people living around there, I appreciate you taking the time to reply to my query.

Alan

Offline valjaya

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Wednesday 21 March 12 03:57 GMT (UK) »
Hi Alan

I just learned of a book by Bernice Koslowski called - 'Blossoms of Bloomo"...Bloomo being the shortened version of Bloomsgrove Street. It is based a little later than your relatives times but might be an interesting read for you to get a feel of what it was like to live in Radford in the 1930s and 40s. Little had changed from years before!  You can check it out on line.
Bernice will be in store to sign copies of her autobiography.WATERSTONE'S NOTTINGHAM BRIDLE
Saturday, 14 April 2012, 11:00 AM

Hope your search is delivering you more info on your family...best wishes..

Offline Jane Eden

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Monday 02 April 12 23:39 BST (UK) »
Hi

From Robert Mellors, Old Nottingham suburbs: then and now, (1914) for New Radford:

The Church. Was it owing to poverty, or was it spiritual apathy, that caused the Church people to make no spiritual provision beyond the parish church at Old Radford for fifty years, when the population had become over ten thousand, and there were fourteen nonconformist chapels in the seven hamlets then included in the parish? The first chapel seems to have been built in 1798, in Chapel street, of which it is recorded, "a Sunday school was established in 1800, and was the only Sunday school (in the villages) within a circuit of several miles, and children from Basford and Bilborough regularly attended." The Wesleyans followed in 1805.

Christ Church is named in 1844 as then being in course of erection, but it was not consecrated until 1847. It has now extensive Sunday and Day Schools, a Mission Hall, etc. The Rev. T. Pyper was Vicar from 1867 to 1902. In the Day Schools Mr. W. Williams, M.A., has been the valued Head Master for 80 years, and some of the boys have made a splendid success.

There are large Council Schools, and the Public Baths, Bethel Chapel (1857), etc., and great factories for the manufacture of lace, cotton doubling, hosiery, embroideries, bobbins and carriages, and other industries.

http://www.nottshistory.org.uk/articles/mellorsarticles/radford2.htm

Jane

Notts: Burrows, Comery, Foster, Beeson.
Derbys: Burrows, Comery, Smith  Lincs: King. 

Information contained within Census Lookups is Crown Copyright:  www.nationalarchives.gov.uk