Author Topic: Bombing raid on Boston 12 Sep 1940  (Read 27530 times)

Offline tup1

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Bombing raid on Boston 12 Sep 1940
« Reply #18 on: Saturday 23 May 09 19:42 BST (UK) »
Hi Graham

In Grantham library in the reference section there is a set of books written by Walter Lee The photographer covering the war years 1939-45 and there is all the full details of the conversations and the actions of the gunners and the people in charge of actions when a bomber is coming and the outcome and lots of photos.
I checked for 3rd December 1940 and there is a full documentary of the whole incident far to much for me to write out.Looking at the photo of the station picture the unexploded bomb landed in the middle of the goods yard.The books are titled.
Day by Day. Grantham    Library Ref.No. 942.531.

So if you ever come to Grantham you will find these books very interesting.

Kathy

Offline Graham Whitehead

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Saturday 23 May 09 19:46 BST (UK) »
Thank you Kathy for this and all your previous help too.  I would just love to be in Grantham again but I don't think it very likely unless they bring in cheap train fares again. [I do look on Trainline from time to time]  Also thanks to Red Roger for his information too.
Warwicks: Whitehead, Allcock, Atkins, Bayley, Beacham, Bilson, Brooks, Cleaver,Farmer,Gilks, Lucas, Kendall, Oliver, Pickard, Shilton, Underhill.
Lincs: Kendall, Clark, Morley,Vincent, Withers, Barlow,Dawson.
Leics. Vincent
Notts: Bardill, Bugg, Morley, Winfield
Dublin: Brooks, Flood.

Offline Redroger

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Dad and Fireman at Kings Cross 13.7.1951
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Saturday 23 May 09 19:50 BST (UK) »
Graham, Though I am ex railway and saying this smacks of treason! When my son visits us from Birmingham to Bournemouth he uses a no frills Co. called Megabus, all bookings on the web, Fares from £1 + 50p booking fee. If you could get to Peterboro, Nottingham or Derby with them, then it shouldn't cost too much to make the last part by train, or on local bus with bus pass.
Ayres Brignell Cornwell Harvey Shipp  Stimpson Stubbings (all Cambs) Baumber Baxter Burton Ethards Proctor Stanton (all Lincs) Luffman (all counties)

Offline Graham Whitehead

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: Saturday 23 May 09 22:49 BST (UK) »
Thank you Redroger but the only Megabus I know of here goes only to London, like the cheap fares on the railway, though I did get up to Preston once for £20 return only that was before the increase in fares.
Warwicks: Whitehead, Allcock, Atkins, Bayley, Beacham, Bilson, Brooks, Cleaver,Farmer,Gilks, Lucas, Kendall, Oliver, Pickard, Shilton, Underhill.
Leics. Vincent

Offline Redroger

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: Sunday 24 May 09 09:12 BST (UK) »
Graham, Thinking about it though; there are still cheap advance fares on the trains, you just have to look and be imaginative; sometimes it is cheaper to book say from Kings Cross to Peterborough, and Peterborough to Grantham than through from Kings Cross to Grantham; the only caveat make sure the train stops at the intermediate station otherwise you would be charged a very expensive excess fare.
Ayres Brignell Cornwell Harvey Shipp  Stimpson Stubbings (all Cambs) Baumber Baxter Burton Ethards Proctor Stanton (all Lincs) Luffman (all counties)

Offline An65

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: Sunday 24 May 09 10:02 BST (UK) »
I recently booked a single to Nottingham from Surrey travelling in July. £16. Coming back from Lincoln (cos staying the rounds with family) £23  Singles often work out much cheaper, and book well in advance, the cheapys are out there if you know when you are going. suggest a google search for raileasy.

Offline Graham Whitehead

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: Sunday 24 May 09 12:33 BST (UK) »
Thank you but cheap fares do not seem to operate from the Gloucester area.  However I will try the site you mention.
Leics. Vincent

Offline Redroger

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: Sunday 24 May 09 15:10 BST (UK) »
Well worth a try Graham, would suggest the one mentioned raileasy, if nothing there then the local services are 1st Great Western, and Cross Country.plus of course the local services, down this way (Bournemouth to London) Megabus provide a £1 train service if you book far enough in advance.

Offline An65

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: Monday 25 May 09 00:49 BST (UK) »
Bro happen to be Railway Conductor I will ask, altho thats not his line, and he may know sommat I dont, if not tho check the line that would carry u and railyeasy which is generally same but without having to worry abt which line take you. (I have found). I can only wish you well cos frankly, Id be lost without the chance to visit Lincs!!