Author Topic: Bombing raid on Boston 12 Sep 1940  (Read 27529 times)

Offline Redroger

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Dad and Fireman at Kings Cross 13.7.1951
    • View Profile
Re: Bombing raid on Boston 12 Sep 1940
« Reply #27 on: Monday 25 May 09 15:19 BST (UK) »
Know that feeling about Lincoln well An, not been for nearly two years, withdrawal symptoms. Must go soon.
Ayres Brignell Cornwell Harvey Shipp  Stimpson Stubbings (all Cambs) Baumber Baxter Burton Ethards Proctor Stanton (all Lincs) Luffman (all counties)

Offline David Layne

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: Wednesday 27 May 09 13:09 BST (UK) »
As I recall Grantham at one time claimed to be the most bombed town in England.  A claim that did not last for long.

I remember being told about a German aircraft machine gunning rail traffic between Peacecliffe Tunnel (near Gonerby) and Grantham railway station.  This aircraft was subsequently shot down by A.A. situated in Marco's. 

As a child I remember the propeller of this aircraft on display in Marco's Social Hall.  I understand it is no longer there, does anyone know where the propeller went?

Offline Redroger

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: Wednesday 27 May 09 15:17 BST (UK) »
Is it in the local museum?
Ayres Brignell Cornwell Harvey Shipp  Stimpson Stubbings (all Cambs) Baumber Baxter Burton Ethards Proctor Stanton (all Lincs) Luffman (all counties)

Offline pamthomas

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: Thursday 28 May 09 09:43 BST (UK) »
Re the original question in this thread  :) , I was speaking at the weekend to someone who also lived down Wyberton West Road, but as he's a bit older than RedRoger, Ron can remember a little more about the war.
Ron says that there was a bomb dropped in a grassfield on Mr H Blyth's farm in Wyberton West End Road. (i.e. the road you turn left into at the end of Wyberton West Road). Didn't write this bit down  :) but the way it was told, the bomb didn't explode, because Ron said that they had a job to dig the bomb out because it was in running silt.
Don't know if this was in the same incident, but some incendaries were dropped near the end of the lane that leads to what was Wyberton West Hospital.

A cousin told me that a bomb was dropped behind number 28 Church Road which backed onto some wood sheds. The bomb blew the roof off a wood shed onto the bungalow.

This may be linked to the afore-mentioned Grantham bombings, but Ron also said that a German bomber which had been shot at Grantham crash-landed in Pilleys Lane (Boston), and the pilot asked if Jack Mather was still at the White Hart Hotel. Just realised that I forgot to ask Ron if Jack confirmed that he knew the pilot.  :-[ Will try to remember next time I'm on the phone.

Offline Geoff-E

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: Thursday 28 May 09 11:30 BST (UK) »
Ron says that there was a bomb dropped in a grassfield on Mr H Blyth's farm in Wyberton West End Road. (i.e. the road you turn left into at the end of Wyberton West Road).

Seeking further info from the 1933 Kelly's Directory, all I find is-
BLYTHE Henry, Cowkeeper, West End, Wyberton

1901 census shows "Henary SMYTHE" living at West End, next door to my great gran's sister, Elizabeth BROWN (nee ELDING).
Today I broke my personal record for most consecutive days alive.

Offline Redroger

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: Thursday 28 May 09 14:28 BST (UK) »
Now you mention it Pam, I do remember hearing about that bomb; as I was less than 9 months old when it dropped I can't remember it directly, but remember my Dad who was in the Home Guard saying that they had been unable to get it out, and for all I know it's still there. This was around the time the bomb dropped near the electricity sub station and Scotney's farm, and they couldn't get that one either.
The incident regarding Jack Mather of the White Hart is detailed on p54 of Boston at War by Martin Middlebrook. Incidentally Jack Mather was I believe still at the White Hart when I started going in pubs! (After 1958 of course!!) How long was he there?

Offline tup1

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: Thursday 28 May 09 15:02 BST (UK) »
In regards to the bombing of Marco's and the propeller in the book "Grantham in Focus"volume 2 there is a picture and small writeup it says.
Members of BMARCo Home Guard who shot down a Junkers bomber in 1941 which had attacked their Springfield Road factory.The plane crashed at Frampton,near Boston,and subsequently presented to the factory.It hung on the wall until the social club was refurbished in the 1970s and the propeller was sold for scrap.

Kathy

Offline David Layne

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: Thursday 28 May 09 15:05 BST (UK) »
Thanks Kathy.  I find it hard to believe they sold the propeller for scrap!

Offline tup1

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: Thursday 28 May 09 15:05 BST (UK) »
Sorry forgot to say propeller was presented to factory not plane :P :P