Author Topic: May or Maisie (nee Pritchard) born c1908 in Liverpool  (Read 5787 times)

Offline jackip

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
May or Maisie (nee Pritchard) born c1908 in Liverpool
« on: Friday 17 April 09 15:05 BST (UK) »
I have been doing my family tree for a long time now and trying to research my father's side of the family because I never knew him. I have done really well on some fronts and have got back as far as 1784. I am posting this notice because I cannot find anything about my Aunt May. I don't know her married name but I DO know that she was living on the Isle of Man in 1983 because she wrote a death notice in the Liverpool Echo when my Dad died in September 1983.

I am hoping that someone might know who May was and have information about her. The key things I know are:

May born about 1908 (could be wrong about year) in Liverpool. All the May Pritchards in the Birth Indexes are not right May

Brother: Clifford Pritchard b 3rd April 1905 - Liverpool.

Parents: Achason Mason Pritchard b1876 Canada and died 7th September 1923 in Liverpool; Laura Ellen May Pritchard (nee Priest) b 3rd May 1878

Grandparents : Edward Pritchard (b 1925 Mold) and Catherine Pritchard (nee Hughes and Buckley) b 1833 in Liverpool

Any information would be very much appreciated. Thank you.

Jacki Pritchard

Offline suzard

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: May or Maisie (nee Pritchard) born c1908 in Liverpool
« Reply #1 on: Friday 17 April 09 15:40 BST (UK) »
Maybe may was a little older than you thought

There is a family in 1911 census living at 47 ireton St Walton Liverpool

Their names have been transcribed as "Prithcard"

There is Laura age 33, Mary (could poss be may??)age 8, Clifford age 6, harold age 4 and Mary Priest age 27

There is a birth reg
Jun tr 1903 W Derby
may pritchard
8b 309

or is this a record you have already checked???

Suz
Thornhill, Cresswell, Sisson, Harriman, Cripps, Eyre, Walter, Marson, Battison, Holmes, Bailey, Hardman, Fairhurst Noon-mainly in Derbys/Notts-but also Northampton, Oxford, Leics, Lancs-England
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline jackip

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Friday 17 April 09 15:56 BST (UK) »
Suz - thank you SO much for the quick reply. I did not think the 1911 Census was available for another 2 years? This MUST be them - as Laura did have a sister Mary and her maiden name was Priest. Never heard of Harold before!! Grandad Archie was probably at sea when the Census took place - he was a shipwright. Many thanks for this - I shall explore further.

Offline suzard

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Friday 17 April 09 16:14 BST (UK) »
Most of the 1911 had been released early - although some areas still await (wales, Durham)

It is a pay per view site but there are lots of ways of searching index free.

it may be worth trying to find a local paper with a report of Archason's funeral - that should give May's married name (if she was married by then)

You state that may put a death report in the paper in 1983 -do you mean an obituary? If so how did she sign it ? Sister may/ Sister may and family??? Do you have your fther's funeral report from the newspaper - that could give a wealth of information - mourners, who the floral tributes were from etc

Suz
Thornhill, Cresswell, Sisson, Harriman, Cripps, Eyre, Walter, Marson, Battison, Holmes, Bailey, Hardman, Fairhurst Noon-mainly in Derbys/Notts-but also Northampton, Oxford, Leics, Lancs-England
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline jackip

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Friday 17 April 09 16:24 BST (UK) »
Thanks again, Suz, re 1911 Census.

The funeral info re Achie and Dad - I have it but does not tell me much. In recent weeks have found where Archie is buried and visited Bootle cemetery. The headtsone is weathered so cannot learn much from that either but am now getting a search done by the Council to find out who is in the plot. I am intrigued by Harold - maybe he died young and will be in the grave?

Offline jackip

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Re: May Crook (nee Pritchard) born c1908 in Liverpool
« Reply #5 on: Friday 01 May 09 22:15 BST (UK) »
Thanks to all the info Suz gave me from the 1911 Census things have moved on greatly in the past two weeks. Also Sefton Council have been brilliant. To cut to the chase i.e the important developments: I now know my grandmother, Laura Pritchard, is in the same grave as Grandad Archie; I also found out when she died. Having got her death certificate I know that May registered her death and May's married name was Crook. So maybe this may help.

Offline gill59

• RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Thursday 18 February 10 11:05 GMT (UK) »
Hi Edward & Catherine had a daughter Sarah Ann 1855 who married my g- g-grandfather Thomas McCormick

Offline Beccavblack

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Tuesday 08 February 11 21:32 GMT (UK) »
Hi, I am another great grand-daughter of  Edward and Catherine, my grandfather was Peter who was Sarah Ann's younger brother born 1873.  I have been trying for years to find out what happened to Sarah Ann.  I was also wondering whether or not she was Edward's daughter, as Catherine was previously married to a Henry Hughes (Edward also was previously married to a Margaret Small and had a son John to her born 1851).  Edward & Catherine did not marry until 1865, so presumably one or both of their first spouses were still alive until then.
Becca
Starmer, Pritchard, Edwards, Wood, Molyneux, Welsh

Offline Beccavblack

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Tuesday 08 February 11 22:00 GMT (UK) »
PS I was also wondering where she married Thomas McCormick,was it in Liverpool or in Toronto.  The family went to Toronto in 1875 and returned before 1881 minus some of their daughters.  Mary married Jeremiah Daly in Toronto, and Catherine and Elizabeth are also missing after the return, 2 sisters supposed to have died in the 1906 San Francisco earthquake but which two?  Presumably not Sarah Ann.
Starmer, Pritchard, Edwards, Wood, Molyneux, Welsh