Author Topic: Christmas just came early!  (Read 2902 times)

Offline Gaille

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
Christmas just came early!
« on: Saturday 18 April 09 16:53 BST (UK) »
Dads hunting for some negative books he needs for his railway history forum and he just pulled out a box of old books & things from my grandads belongings ........... Grandad died in 1988 & the box has been on the top of a cupboard forgotten about by dad - and not known about by me (Or I would have been in it YEARS ago!)

Blimey!!!! Christmas just came early for me when he did!

Its FULL of old family photos going back generations! and even better .......... loads have names on them!

I even found a wedding invitation addressed to my gt-grandad from his son - in australia :) I now have names & dates of his daughter - lol which is NOT ann as we always belived, its Deborah Ann!

I cant wait to get into the boxes now I only had a glance thru them and they were brilliant!

Gaille
Manchester – Bate(s) / Bebbington / Coppock or Coppart / Evans / Mitchell / Prince / Smith

Cheshire Latchford – Bibby / Savage / Smith.
Cheshire Macclesfield,  Bollington & Rainow – Childs / Flint / Mc'rea
Cheshire Crewe – Bate(s) / Bebbington
Shropshire Wellington, Wobwell – Smith
Walsall Midds – Smith
Norfolk - Childs / Hanwell / Smith

Also looking for:
Mc'Rea/McCrea – Ireland to Cheshire

And
any relatives of Margaret Bibby married to Thomas Smith all over country

Offline groom

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Me aged 3. Tidied up thanks to Wiggy.
    • View Profile
Re: Christmas just came early!
« Reply #1 on: Saturday 18 April 09 16:59 BST (UK) »
That's fantastic you are so lucky. When my mother died we found a box of old photos, but none had names on and there is now no one who can identify them! Very frustrating.

Jan
Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline yvette2

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Saturday 18 April 09 17:32 BST (UK) »
OH WOW that is really amazing, i too would have been besides myself, i bet you sat on the floor, looking through it all. I often think of my Grandad, and wish i had talked to him about 'his' family, I just was not interested back then :( now i am struggling with his family :-\

have fun

yvette
Williams, Harvey, Royall

Offline matt94

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Saturday 18 April 09 18:49 BST (UK) »
You are really lucky!

Yvette, I wish I wasn't as young as I was! I am the youngest of all my (100+) cousins and the only one who has actually taken an interest! My grandfather's family was huge, but he died when I was six years old and now have no one to ask about anything. I so wish I was born twenty years before I was! I would have asked so many questions! Most of the photos were burned upon his death though  :'( and I wish I had the forethought to stop them!!!

Matt
Census information is Crown Copyright  http://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline yvette2

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Saturday 18 April 09 19:42 BST (UK) »
hello Matt  :)    I was reading your other post earlier today, about "age"  and was so dissapointed for you  :-\
Your are a unique 16? year old, and your Grandfather will be proud of you doing research into his family. (He'll know  ;) )
And the more you research the more he will feel close to you, I promise, I do feel my grandad is helping me....ha ha not that I am getting very far, I am stuck on a marriage for his grandparents.....it'sll come though.
How can family be so thoughless, as to burtn photographs, even if they didnt want them, someone else may do.
You never know Matt, you may find some new cousins that will have photo's for you.   I have found 4 new cousins from research my tree's, spread as far as Australia, and they have given me photo's  :)

good luck Matt  ;)

Yvette
Williams, Harvey, Royall

Offline matt94

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Saturday 18 April 09 20:18 BST (UK) »
Yvette - I'm not even 16 yet  8) I am not allowed to state my actual age but yes, I'm under 16.

I think that I'm the only one that has some photo's at all; but some people I can't name. Unfortunately, my father was the fifth of eleven and he didn't marry my mother until he was thirty - and I was born when he was 38 so his parents, if they were alive today, would be 88 and 85. My cousins were having children even before I was born and I hate being the youngest.

I feel close to my great-great aunts, weirdly, because I have photos of them and know the ins-and outs of their marriages. Apparently my grandfather was a bit 'naughty' bedroom-wise!!!

Matt ;D ;D

Offline yvette2

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Saturday 18 April 09 20:25 BST (UK) »
Yes Matt, I do know your age  ;)

good, at least you have some photo's.....don't hate being the youngest, all your cousins are busy busy being mums and dads etc etc  ::) and you are young and keen to research your family trees, don't let anybody put you off Matt  ;)

oooh naught grandfather......theres one in most cupboards!!!!!

Yvette  :D
Williams, Harvey, Royall

Offline matt94

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Saturday 18 April 09 21:35 BST (UK) »
Ah, yes, parenthood still to come in the next 10/15 years! After uni!

Lol

Matt

Offline Ninatoo

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Saturday 18 April 09 23:46 BST (UK) »
Wait, if Grandad died in 1988 and Gaille was six years old then....isn't her age more like 26-27 now?

Even so, I wish I had started this at that age!  I would have been able to visit my ancestors' graves/homes/etc since I was visiting Scotland then.

Nina
CARSON - Glasgow, Ayr and Ireland
CLARK - Dunbarton
CORR - Glasgow and Ireland
COTTERILL - Glasgow and England
CROMBIE - Glasgow, Ayr and Ireland
DOCHERTY - Glasgow
EASTON - Dunbarton, Renfrew and Glasgow
GLANCY - Glasgow and Ireland
GORDON - Glasgow and Ireland
GRANELLI - Glasgow and Italy
LOGAN - Glasgow and Ireland