Author Topic: REVILLE New Ross, Newbawn, Clongeen  (Read 12145 times)

Offline Alice Reville

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
REVILLE New Ross, Newbawn, Clongeen
« on: Monday 20 April 09 22:21 BST (UK) »
Hi.  Working on many parts of my family history....all ancestors on both sides from Ireland.

REVILLE - My great grandfather was THOMAS JAMES REVILLE said to be born in New Ross, County Wexford apx. 1832. Even after over 7 years of stringent research, still don't have his parents names yet. Who would think there were so many Reville's when Griffith's Valuation was done?  He emigrated from there to USA - don't know which port? but he first appears in New York City NY in 1860 US Census.  He definitely had a sister Mary Reville (b. Ireland, married in US, Shannon)who also emigrated to NY, and a younger brother John Reville (spelling changed to Revelle) who emigrated to US also and wound up in Kansas....and other possible siblings, not yet confirmed.
When Thomas died in NYC in 1881 at least one of his parents was still living in New Ross area, as well as other cousins, but no younger generation persons of his immediate family line.

Thomas James Reville also had some fairly close cousins who were already living in the US when he came in late 1850/1860.  In the direct line previous generation of his family, maybe his father too? and one or more uncles and maybe aunts, came to New York prob. between say 1830 and 1850. Some stayed in NY, some went back to County Wexford. The name of Philip/Phillip Reville in the generations of that branch keeps being repeated in succeeding generations here in US.

Re: New Ross Reville - in 1960's my uncle visited New Ross.  He met with people there who said they were cousins of our family - I have a Guinness Stout label from them - at that time according to the label, those cousins T.J. Reville & Sons, at 6 Quay Street in New Ross, were bottling Guinness there.  No longer there, of course, and I can't find any traces.

Continuing the complex saga of my Reville family.....

But I also have other REVILLE cousins through my other great grandparents family who lived around the area of New Ross, New Bawn, Horestown, Adamstown, and/or Clongeen before also emigrating to New York in 1864.
These Reville cousins were related to my Comerford, Carty, McCarty relatives from that area. Oral history saying they lived down the road from each other. There's about 8 miles or so between those various towns, not much even in mid 1800's for walking.  Of course, I also don't have the name yet of the father of that part of my Revilles, however the children born from that family in Ireland were Kate Reville b. 1845 Ireland, Annie Reville (b. 1843 Ireland)(later Cullen), and Nicholas Reville (prob born in US)

So, I'm hoping that anyone else researching the Reville's from County Wexford, and most particularly in the towns mentioned, will be in contact with me......all clues help and are greatly appreciated.

Thank you.

Alice Reville Tomlin

Offline Jack2227

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Re: REVILLE New Ross, Newbawn, Clongeen
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday 21 April 09 22:24 BST (UK) »
(by kind permission of Noel Farrel)
From 'New Ross Roots' 1901;

Three Bullet St; (3)
Reville William & Margaret; Margaret, (Mary Lawlor) (publican)

1911;
Three Bullet gate;
Reville William & Margaret; Margaret, Nicholas, Edward, Bridie, Mary, Thomas, (publican)
========
Electors list 1955/56;
Quay st;
Reville, Thomas, Margaret

Three Bullet gate;
Reville Bridie, Edward, Margaret, Nicholas.
--------
73 pubs in New Ross 1918;
Three Bullet gate (6)
Reville William. (Urban council)
=======
Slaters list 1894;
Reville William, public house, Neville st;

Offline Alice Reville

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Tuesday 21 April 09 23:54 BST (UK) »
Just terrific, thanks so much....the Reville "cousin" from Quay Street around time my uncle visited is identified....how great.

Thank you so much for your effort, seanmac.

Alice Reville

Offline enfield

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Wednesday 22 April 09 07:13 BST (UK) »
REVILLE, PATRICK. Rank: Private. Regiment or Service: Royal Naval reserve. Unit; H. M. S. Laurentic. Date of Death: 25-January-1917. Service No: 2410B.
From an article in a Wexford newspaper; -Lost on the Laurentic; Mrs Teresa Reville, of Maudlinstown, Wexford, who has six sons serving in the Navy, was notified during the week that her Patrick, who was board the ill-fated ship “Laurentic”, which was sunk off the Irish coast on the 25th January, was not amongst the survivors and had been given up as lost. Much sympathy is locally with Mrs Reville on the loss she has sustained.
 The vessel sank in 1917 with the loss of 354 of its crew when it hit a mine at Fanad Head en route to Halifax, Nova Scotia. Some 121 crew members survived. The Laurentic was carrying the 1917 equivalent of £5 million in gold and a reported £3 million in silver coins to pay for arms for the British war effort. Grave or Memorial Reference: 24. Has no known grave but is commemorated on the Plymouth Naval Memorial, UK.

Offline enfield

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Wednesday 22 April 09 11:00 BST (UK) »
This may be a nice surprise for you, enjoy;

http://i8.photobucket.com/albums/a40/clondaleek/a.jpg

They will feature in the book 'The Wexford War Dead' which will be published in November.
   Regards.
 Tom.

Offline Hatslip

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Saturday 02 May 09 03:09 BST (UK) »
Alice,

In my line I have a Katie Lacey from Faree, Newbawn.  Born 1912.  She married Willie Reville who I imagine was a local man.  They had two daughters.

Their marriage cert should show his father's name which might help you.
Eileen
Chapman, Jackman, Roche, Whelan, Hanton, Dee, Stafford, Leary, McGrath, Murphy, White, Hayes, Shudall.

Offline Summerhill

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Sunday 28 June 09 20:49 BST (UK) »
Hi Alice,
I live in New Ross and the following information may be of some assistance.

Your ancestor Reville probably emigrated to America from New Ross abroad the Dunbrody steamship.  Most Irish emigrants from CO.S Kilkenny, Wexford, & surrounding areas emigrated from New Ross port.

The Dunbrody steamship has been rebuilt by the JFK trust in New Ross.  The Dunbrody is moored at New Ross quay on permanent exhibition. More importantly it contains a database of Irish Immigrants from the late 1790'sto about 1920.

This database may contain your ancestors name.  It would also give his address and his parents name. All immigrants had to give this information before they left .

You cancontact theDunbrody trust, Ltd, The Quay New Ross Co. Wexford.

I hope this helps.

Regards,

Summerhill.

Offline Summerhill

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Sunday 28 June 09 21:14 BST (UK) »
Alice the website address is www.dunbrody.com

The emigration database can be searchedonline. 

also you can contact New Ross Parish officeRobert Street, New Ross, Co. Wexford.  To see if they have your ancestors baptismal record. (Catholic)  Also St. Marys Church, New Ross, Co. Wexford if your ancestor was church of Ireland.  But if your ancestor lefr Ross in 1832 then he was probably born in the late 1790;s early 1800's. The penal laws were still in force then.  This meant that all Catholics had to be married by a church of Ireland clergyman.  The same went for Baptisms and funerals.  St. Marys church of Ireland cemetery has a lot of catholics buried in it.  in 1868 a municipal cemetery was opened St. Stephens Cemetery.  But the local churches hold the burial records.  The penal laws were repealed in 1829 with theCatholic emancipation act.  So it is possible that your ancestors baptism is listedi n St. Marys church of Ireland records. The baptism register should hold thef ollowing information: Childs name ,date baptised, Fathers Name, Mothers name and maiden surname and possibly an address.

Hope this helps again.

Good luck with the research.
Summerhill

Offline Caff11

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Sunday 20 June 10 16:07 BST (UK) »
To Hatslip, Eileen

In your posting you stated Katey Lacey in your line, she was my grandmother. Catherine Reville, she did indeed marry William Reville, their two daughters were the late Ann Maher and my mother Bridget Reville who lives in Australia.

Where in the family link do you fit it?
Regards Cath