Author Topic: Herefordshire Prisons  (Read 1829 times)

Offline Sue Goddard

• RootsChat Pioneer
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Herefordshire Prisons
« on: Wednesday 22 April 09 17:00 BST (UK) »
I was informed by my Grandmother years ago that in November 1908, she and her siblings (who all lived at Brimfield Cottage on the Common in Ewyas Harold) were put in care in Abbey Dore childrens home after their mother was taken to hospital and died there and that their father had been sent to prison soon afterwards for (we believe) 2 years.  Does anyone have any idea how I could find out more about this?  We would like to know how to go about finding out about the court case and also where, why and when he went to prison.  Any advice would be gratefully received.  :)  The name of the family was Barber - the father was Henry and the mother was Frances Jane (nee Lewis).

Offline Puffcat

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Herefordshire Prisons
« Reply #1 on: Wednesday 22 April 09 19:18 BST (UK) »
Seems Frances died aged 34 in 2008, and I wonder if Henry is shown on the 1911 Census as being in prison ?

The Hereford TImes Archives should have a report of any Court Case - they are available at Hereford Library I think, but I do not know if they are indexed in any way.

Offline Swni

• I am sorry but my emails are no longer working
  • RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Re: Herefordshire Prisons
« Reply #2 on: Thursday 23 April 09 15:26 BST (UK) »
Thanks for the info re where to possibly look for the report of the court case.  Re the 1911 census - Henry was out of prison by then and living in Ebbw Vale , South Wales with his children so the census is no use really.  I think I will have to take a trip to Hereford Library and see what I can find out.

Thanks once again.

Sue
GODDARD: Cwm, Ebbw Vale & Market Lavington
MORGAN: Cwm, Ebbw Vale; Forest of Dean
HEAD: Forest of Dean
MERRY: Forest of Dean
DAVIES:  Ffynondudur, Llaen Rd, RhydLewis, Llandysil, Cardigan
BARBER:  Leintwardine, Lugwardine, Hereford, Ledbury, Abbey Dore, Ewyas Harold, Pontrilas
GODWIN:  Tewksbury, Hereford
LEWIS:  Tipton Willey, Yonkin Farm
KERTON:  Pontlottyn, Waunllwyd, Ebbw Vale, Somerset
COLLARD (COLLAR):  Somerset, Waunllwyd, Ebbw Vale
TRACE:  Tredegar, Ebbw Vale,  Somerset